Old 02-25-2003, 09:59 AM

Hello everyone I'm new to the group and just got my first GTO. The A\C compressor and condensor are missing I called for a new compressor and there 2 pulley sizes 5" and a 5 3/4" which should I get or does it matter? My other question is this I need the condensor they have can not get that part though any help either used or where to obtain new would be great. I have read alot of the post and everyone here is great it is nice to be able to interact with people who love pontiac as much as I do.

Thanks,
Hardwarp
Dallas Texas

Old 02-25-2003, 09:59 AM

Hello everyone I'm new to the group and just got my first GTO. The A\C compressor and condensor are missing I called for a new compressor and there 2 pulley sizes 5" and a 5 3/4" which should I get or does it matter? My other question is this I need the condensor they have can not get that part though any help either used or where to obtain new would be great. I have read alot of the post and everyone here is great it is nice to be able to interact with people who love pontiac as much as I do.

Thanks,
Hardwarp
Dallas Texas

Old 02-25-2003, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hardwarp,
You may want to find an older dealership. They may be able to help you out. I'm in Virginia and a local dealership here found a condencer in Texas for my 67' go figure. this was just a few years ago.
Good luck.

Old 02-26-2003, 02:13 PM
Suspended

you will be very lucky if your parts guy can get both AC compressor pulley sizes. Usually today only the one size is available either new or rebuilt. For the condenser, buy it new from PY or Year One. No point to mess with NOS and none avaliable from GM anyway.

Old 02-26-2003, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Correct me someone if I'm wrong, but I'm nearly 100% certain that ALL Pontiac A6 compressors used the smaller diameter clutch pulley - 5".

I'm fairly certain that Hi-Perf Chevies were the only ones who used the larger pulley, to slow the compressor down at high engine RPM's (read warranty issues).

Hope this helps,
Lloyd

'72 Formula 400 - soon to be a 455HO, TH400, A/C, etc.; Lucerne Blue with Medium Blue Interior
Restoring a '72 GTO 455HO, TH400, A/C, etc.; Sundance Orange with Parchment buckets

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 02-27-2003, 08:09 AM

i think loyd's correct on this issue.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 02-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hardwarp,
Don't count out the dealers. I may have stepped in it with this deal, but my NOS unit cost me a $100.00 and it has been keeping the ol' 67 cooool
Good luck.

Old 02-27-2003, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Try www.ackits.com - they can source mucho parts, run a giant tech forum, and know more about auto AC than the guy who invented it.

"...ridge reamer and ring compressor? Do they have tools like that?"

Old 02-28-2003, 01:50 AM

I just want to thank everyone thus far and I feel these forums are invaluable.