Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 PM

Hi Guys, I have a 70 formula with air conditioning. I was told I could get to the heater core by taking the inner fender panel out. I loosened the inner fendor panel but I can't take the panel out because of the air conditioning housing (whatever you call it)on the firewall is in the way. Besides I don't think I can get to it that way anyway. I tried to take out the fan box underneith the dash. I took out all the bolts I could find from the inside but the right side seems to be tight. Is it being held on by screws from the other side (firewall)? I have been trying to avoid taking the fender off but I think that's the only way. Anybody got any helpful hints or suggestions? Richard

Old 02-04-2003, 12:00 PM

Hi Guys, I have a 70 formula with air conditioning. I was told I could get to the heater core by taking the inner fender panel out. I loosened the inner fendor panel but I can't take the panel out because of the air conditioning housing (whatever you call it)on the firewall is in the way. Besides I don't think I can get to it that way anyway. I tried to take out the fan box underneith the dash. I took out all the bolts I could find from the inside but the right side seems to be tight. Is it being held on by screws from the other side (firewall)? I have been trying to avoid taking the fender off but I think that's the only way. Anybody got any helpful hints or suggestions? Richard

Old 02-04-2003, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

sometimes you just create more work by trying to cut corners. Do yourself a favour and take off the fender with the inner. Then you will see that you would not have been able to do this otherwise.

Old 02-06-2003, 09:00 AM

Thanks firechicken, It's not that I was trying to cut cornors, I have a pretty good paint job and don't think I could take the fender off without scratching it. Also I was told by a reliable source I could do it without taking the fender off. Maybe non-ac is different. Anyway, when I posted my question I was pretty sure I had to take the fendor off to get to it but didn't want to go thru that if there was an easier way. I'll just have to be carefull. Thanks again.

Old 02-07-2003, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can sucessfully unfasten all the fenderwell bolts, and the two under the bottom rear of the fender allowing you to carefully pry the fender out a couple of inches. I used a GOJO bottle to brace the fender so I could work in the small space.

You cannot remove the airbox without removing the bolt inside the bottom rear of the fender. I also seem to recall there was a hose you couldn't do without this process.

I cheaped out at the time and didn't change the blower motor.. dumb!

TO THE MILITARY FORCES CURRENTLY ACTIVE, AND THOSE THAT HAVE SERVED; THANK YOU FOR YOUR SACRIFICE FOR FREEDOM. PLEASE COME HOME SAFE.

Old 02-12-2003, 04:22 PM

I am going thru that now. I just did exactly what 78 Ghost said. It worked out fine. I think I will change the blower motor just incase