THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 08-15-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
They don't get dusty in a box.

I display them for a season or two, then they do go in boxes for the special Olympics events.

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 08-15-2019, 02:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
Sorry

I'm not into Simple.

Although I have heard a lot of crickets.
Probably because I have this daily thing I regularly attend, called a job. Takes up about 10 hrs a day of my time, no time to troll boards like you do. But I digress.....
As for the OP describing me, that is entirely possible. I haven't mastered mind reading yet, but I am working on it So I will have to let that thought be.
And I am supposing that you have NEVER said to someone "nice car, but it would be outstanding in blue, instead of red", or "a set of Cragars would really set that car off", or " I would have left the vinyl top off" , because a discouraging word has never left your lips.

Old 08-15-2019, 03:02 PM
Boost Engineer

Trophy Chasers do not bother me.
I stopped going to car shows when I came back from the restroom and a guy was sitting in the driver's seat of my 64 GTO Convertible. I asked him very politely to remove his fat ass from the seat of MY VEHICLE. Some people are really stupid at Car Shows. They think they are in a Car Dealership checking out vehicles.

Tom V.

I could care less about a Piece of Wood, especially when the Judges for the event are all from the same club and are judging a car model different from the one they own but their buddy club member owns. That happened at a Pontiac Event in Michigan in the 1980s I believe.

They basically took all of the "Wood" for the event.
They had very nice vehicles but the outsiders never had a chance.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-15-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Trophy Chasers do not bother me.
I stopped going to car shows when I came back from the restroom and a guy was sitting in the driver's seat of my 64 GTO Convertible. I asked him very politely to remove his fat ass from the seat of MY VEHICLE. Some people are really stupid at Car Shows. They think they are in a Car Dealership checking out vehicles.

Tom V.

I could care less about a Piece of Wood, especially when the Judges for the event are all from the same club and are judging a car model different from the one they own but their buddy club member owns. That happened at a Pontiac Event in Michigan in the 1980s I believe.

They basically took all of the "Wood" for the event.
They had very nice vehicles but the outsiders never had a chance.

Tom over the years I’ve seen it all, from people buying votes, to the friend vote only for friend thing, to kissing up to judges, to one guy telling another, what’s your number I’ll vote for you if you vote for me thing, to a voting system where you get a strip of numbers being class numbers, and you go to say number one which is class one, you tear off the number one and place it in an envelope on the car owners car window and continue to each class doing the same. This one show gave out big slate clocks for first place. There was a Camaro/ Firebird class. The Camaro club had many members in that class, so before awards, they picked one member to get that clock by taking their little slips of paper out of their envelopes and stuffing his with their votes. I saw it two years in a row. When they announce voting is over you take your envelope to the registration table and turn them in. They count the vote slips and that’s how winners are determined. This is the kind of thing that discourages people from entering their cars. At some shows the spectators could give a donation at the registration desk and get a vote slip no limit. One guy with a 69 SS Chevelle, gave his family $25 to go buy votes. yeah it’s crazy and dog eat dog out there. These are the things I observe and do not go back. Not worth complaining because those who do will be a marked person and never get an award.

Best fair show I was ever at, was AMEs Pontiac Nationals in Norwalk Ohio. Professional Judges were hired from outside, a team that knew no one or their cars. They had a process, each judging certain parts of the cars, never talking to each other or car owners, never comparing scores with each other or the previous car. They each finished their section, one of them took the score sheets, put them in a sealed envelope, and moved on.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 04:24 PM
Senior Chief

"Trophy Chasers do not bother me.
I stopped going to car shows when I came back from the restroom and a guy was sitting in the driver's seat of my 64 GTO Convertible. I asked him very politely to remove his fat ass from the seat of MY VEHICLE. Some people are really stupid at Car Shows. They think they are in a Car Dealership checking out vehicles."

Tom V.

I had this happen at a mall. Our club did a display at a local shopping mall. This guy walks up to my car LIFTS the rope around the car then proceeds to open the door and sit in it. The club presidents wife was on him like a rabid dog! His response is that he thought the cars were for sale...…………..

Old 08-15-2019, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
"Trophy Chasers do not bother me.
I stopped going to car shows when I came back from the restroom and a guy was sitting in the driver's seat of my 64 GTO Convertible. I asked him very politely to remove his fat ass from the seat of MY VEHICLE. Some people are really stupid at Car Shows. They think they are in a Car Dealership checking out vehicles."

Tom V.

I had this happen at a mall. Our club did a display at a local shopping mall. This guy walks up to my car LIFTS the rope around the car then proceeds to open the door and sit in it. The club presidents wife was on him like a rabid dog! His response is that he thought the cars were for sale...…………..

Had an incident at an evening show, We went to do people’s choice judging, came back and an Indian Women had her kid in my car behind the wheel turning the steering wheel violently back and forth making motor sounds, taking pictures of him. I tried to calmly because the little boy was there, explain to her I was the owner, and that if she had asked us, we would have opened the door, let him sit in it for a picture, but that you NEVER just touch these cars, or sit in them without permission. As expected she didn’t understand a single thing I said, and tried to push me away from my own car to take more pictures. now when we go together, one of us stays with the car. If I go alone, I do not do judging. I have friends who have had manuals and literature taken out of their cars, while they were out judging. Sad but it happens.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-15-2019, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I heard that's what killed the GTO club here in Delaware. All the shows they put on the club members walked off with 99% of the trophies. In my book, any show put on by a club, the members cars are not judged and they get no trophies.

Unless.. they have a special judging within the club for trophies given to it's members only. SVGTO club does it that way and it's fair in my book. Their cars are just as good and as nice as the rest on the field. They work hard at their shows and the members deserve recognition for their hard work. Other clubs could learn from them.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 08-15-2019, 08:23 PM
Senior Chief

Last weekend at our local church picnic / car show I took my Solstice as a filler to boost the numbers. We normally get around 250 cars for the day. To my surprise I took a 3rd place trophy. There was one Lambo, three Triumphs. a few Alphas, an Austin Healy and a few BMWs and new cars in the class (sports and foreign). Usually at that show I put a "display only" sign on the dash of my Firebird but with the Solstice I didn't think it was necessary. Lesson learned for next year.

1969 Firebird 350 convertible, t-5, Carousel Red
2008 Solstice GXP 5speed manual, Sly
2008 Grand Prix, Ink Slate, Winter daily driver
2009 G8, Switchblade Silver, summer daily driver
Old 08-15-2019, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Around 25 years ago I was going to get rid of the basement full of trophies from old car shows from the prior three decades. I was trying to figure out something to do with them other than the garbage.

At the time I was working at a government legal office and every year they had a "company" softball game and the winner got a big trophy. I had an idea and I volunteered to provide the trophy that year.

There were two teams, us nerdy folks versus the other annoying group of lawyers that was made up of all the old college jocks and macho types. We knew we would lose and had no problem with that fact. So we were gonna have some fun with it.

When it came time to present the winner's trophy I brought out this five foot high conglomeration made up of cheesy trophy parts. It looked amazing and it had them in total awe. They were all high fiven' and fist bumping like it was the veritable Golden Calf and Moses was up the mountain.

I waited a couple minutes and then I parted the Red Sea with the runners up trophy for your's truly and the nerd team's second place finish. It was 9 feet tall and took three people to carry it.

The crowd went wild.

From last I heard they were still using that giant trophy for their yearly softball game, decades later.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We had a local Bike Guy that was in our club, that won a lot of trophies. After a few show's we kinda clued in to what he was doing.
Participants Choice award papers or voting card was given to each registered vehicle. Well he was taking off for a while at every show
and photocopying the voting cards, put his number on them and put them in the voting bucket. Caught in the act by a Lady at one show.
No longer a member of our Club.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemansboy70 View Post
His response is that he thought the cars were for sale...…………..
I was at a very small car show recently, only about 25 cars, mostly Packards, some really old from the 20s and 30s. VERY nice cars... I could not believe it when a guy asked me why none of them had prices on them. While I was telling my wife how crazy that guy must be, I overheard another guy asking someone the same thing.
When he heard that they were not for sale, he got loud and started badmouthing the cars like who'd want to look at a bunch of cars that are not for sale?!?!

Old 08-16-2019, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
who'd want to look at a bunch of cars that are not for sale?!?!
I actually kinda sympathize with that guy lol. Now obviously I wouldn't badmouth people rides, and Im not so naďve to think all cars at a show are for sale. That said, I know what all the cars look like, if there isn't a swap meet and car corral, Im not interested. The lawnchair type events, I don't get the allure. Though I totally support them in theory, any event is good for the hobby, but I guess Ill raise my hand and say Im the guy who thinks your basic parking lot show is lame.

When I go to a big show, I might take a break from the swap to see the "featured cars". The truly rare or historic. Or Ill often seek a car that is the same model as one of mine to try and Chinese blueprint something missing from mine. I remember a couple years ago I was laying under the dash of another guys 67 (with permission obviously) to try and figure out why my brake pedal didn't work right.

End of the day, shows like the Pontiac Nationals are the right kinda show. Lots of cars, parts and cars for sale, and racing available.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 08-16-2019, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
I heard that's what killed the GTO club here in Delaware. All the shows they put on the club members walked off with 99% of the trophies. In my book, any show put on by a club, the members cars are not judged and they get no trophies.

Unless.. they have a special judging within the club for trophies given to it's members only. SVGTO club does it that way and it's fair in my book. Their cars are just as good and as nice as the rest on the field. They work hard at their shows and the members deserve recognition for their hard work. Other clubs could learn from them.

Gary they do that here too, the club hosting has a display only area for their cars that are not judged if the members are doing the judging.

However.......... that doesn’t prevent them for picking buddies cars who are not club members.

If the judging is people’s choice, they usually have a spot to choose one club member car. Club members cars are never eligible for Best in show or a speciality award.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-16-2019, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemans64 View Post
We had a local Bike Guy that was in our club, that won a lot of trophies. After a few show's we kinda clued in to what he was doing.
Participants Choice award papers or voting card was given to each registered vehicle. Well he was taking off for a while at every show
and photocopying the voting cards, put his number on them and put them in the voting bucket. Caught in the act by a Lady at one show.
No longer a member of our Club.

All the shows I go to, always have different color info window cards. I don’t do any of the shows that still do the tear off numbers to be put in the envelop on the window as well type of judging.

At the end of the day the clubs do the counting of all types of voting. Who really knows what they are doing with them behind closed doors.

Shows aren’t for everyone who has a classic or any car or truck, and like any kind of event where prizes are offered, there’s going to be drama and controversy. It always amazes me just how childish some adults can be over a piece of wood and plastic.

My 4 year old Grandaughter competes in pageants sometimes she wins sometimes she does not. Her attitude is, “it was fun making new friends and wearing pretty dresses” she’s been doing this since she was 2 years old, not forced to do it, she truly loves being dressed up. She has grown up seeing me not always win at the shows, so she understands you don’t always get a prize, but you still can have fun. Every year I meet new people, I learn new things, I help others with projects by offering up my knowledge or resources. And sometimes those same people wind up competing against me. I’m ok with that.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-16-2019, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
I prefer to encourage youngsters to embrace the classics. A car you drive everyday such as a NEW Challenger, Camaro, Mustang etc. is NOT what “car shows” are about. As mentioned, I can go to any car lot and see these cars for free. Some car shows, even charge spectators. 50 years from now they can show off these cars, but they do not belong at a “classic car show” unless........ they have their own class.
See, the thing is, you can't encourage a kid to like something he doesn't want to like. It doesn't work that way. So if I can get him into cars in general, regardless of vintage or make, I think that's a far better move than handing him a video game controller. At least that's how I look at it.

Old 08-16-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter View Post
See, the thing is, you can't encourage a kid to like something he doesn't want to like. It doesn't work that way. So if I can get him into cars in general, regardless of vintage or make, I think that's a far better move than handing him a video game controller. At least that's how I look at it.

Agreed! Hey I had a new Challenger I get it! Got many thumbs up from young people and that’s always a good thing, the video age is literally killing our kids! Making them, fat, lazy, having eye and finger control issues, drive through any given development or neighborhood on any given day including weekends, you won’t see any kids outside playing, or washing a car, or in the garage with their moms or dads, very sad! I didn’t actually mean what I posted the way you took it. My bad! I’d prefer to see them out doing anything constructive.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just east of me is a small city named Cameron Park. They have a small airstrip there that is located inside a residential development. It's called the "airpark." The streets are extra wide and all the homes have a hanger in addition to a garage. People can fly in, land their planes and taxi them through the neighborhood right to their home and secure them in their hanger. Every October they have a small show for cars and planes. I'm not big on car shows, and if I do go to one I rarely take one of my cars, but I like to go to this show every year to see the planes as well as the cars. (Usually about 200-300 cars and maybe 50 planes).

Last year I was there with my 10 year old grandson and he was looking at an old Impala Convertible (1959-1960?) The owner was standing nearby and started talking to my grandson about the car. He then opened the driver door and told my grandson to "get in." My grandson looked at me (as if asking if it was okay) and I told him to go ahead since the owner had invited him to sit in the car. When he got in, the owner closed the door and told me to take a picture of my grandson in the car, which I did.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5257.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	517970   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5258.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	517971  

Old 08-16-2019, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Last year I was there with my 10 year old grandson and he was looking at an old Impala Convertible (1959-1960?) The owner was standing nearby and started talking to my grandson about the car. He then opened the driver door and told my grandson to "get in." My grandson looked at me (as if asking if it was okay) and I told him to go ahead since the owner had invited him to sit in the car. When he got in, the owner closed the door and told me to take a picture of my grandson in the car, which I did.
I did this at a Cub Scout meet. They had invited a group of about 20 cars to display at their monthly meeting. I had my LeMans Vert at the time. I was the ONLY one who would let the kids sit it their car. I showed them how to lay their arm on the doorsill to look "Cool". The parents took TONS of pictures and the kids had a blast.

Old 08-16-2019, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglesan13 View Post
Just east of me is a small city named Cameron Park. They have a small airstrip there that is located inside a residential development. It's called the "airpark." The streets are extra wide and all the homes have a hanger in addition to a garage. People can fly in, land their planes and taxi them through the neighborhood right to their home and secure them in their hanger. Every October they have a small show for cars and planes. I'm not big on car shows, and if I do go to one I rarely take one of my cars, but I like to go to this show every year to see the planes as well as the cars. (Usually about 200-300 cars and maybe 50 planes).

Awesome! I’ve done this many times, it’s worth all the negative judging stuff just to see a kids face light up.

My own Daughter being one of them, when Bill Bolin allowed her to not only sit in his drop dead gorgeous GTO DISCRET, but she’s driven this famous car 3 times as well.

Hope your Grandson got the bug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	8EC650DE-031A-4F42-BA28-331294328C1F.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	517977  

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 08-16-2019, 12:59 PM

We don't go to ant real shows anymore. Just the local one in the center of town that's held once a month in the summer. It's about a mile from home so I just leave the slicks on and some times the exhaust off.
Funny story, when the Firebird was running we took it there. Open headers, slicks and all. We leave and the Cop that was directing traffic told me to light'em up. I said no sir, thinking to myself I'm not falling for that one. We get to the traffic light by the house and a guy on a Harley is sitting in the far left lane. As I coast up in the right turn lane he starts looking down at his bike and I can see him chopping the throttle and looking down at both side of his bike like something was wrong. He looked up and saw the new noise from his bike was me. My father and I had a good laugh and he gave me the thumbs up.
I gave up on judged shows when we were parked near a Camaro that was not nearly as nice as our Cutlass and he won something and we didn't. The judges just breezed by our car but practically wet themselves over this his car.