Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-01-2020, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by etd66ss View Post
I've been trying to sell my 72 for a few years now, and I get a lot of lookers but when it comes time to negotiate, the offers are dismal, specifically for a car with no rust (I mean none) and all original sheet metal. Sure the color hurts it, but up here in the North East, any Green Chevelle with rust would seem to bring more $$ than this GTO. It's a head scratcher to me. Are GTO's in general just not worth what Chevelle's are worth? I ask because I own a 66 Chevelle SS true 138 car with #'s matching and those things sell for 2X+ this GTO, even non SS Malibu's sell much better. I've seen/heard of guys buying triple green Chevelle Malibu's that needed new QTR's and trunk floors and pay $15-16k. If this car was a 72 Chevelle with a 350 SB and the sheet metal was in as good as shape as this GTO, I could get $5-6k more for it.

I'm not selling because I need the money, so I am holding firm. I'm just curious as to why the market seems to dump all over these GTO's (And even 442's etc for that matter).

You'd think in a strike year with very low prod numbers a real GTO with PHS docs to prove it would be worth more? I certainly wish Chevelle's had info on them akin to PHS, past 68 iirc who knows if it's an SS or not...

If I never sell this car, would it be sacrilegious to turn this car into a resto mod? (someday I want to do an IFS/IRS chassis resto mod with an LT engine etc) It's non #'s so I would not feel so bad, but do we think GTO 400's will ever be very desirable?

I look at Mopar's and see how silly the prices for say a 68 Charger are these days and I just can't believe GTO's don't fare better, they are really good looking muscle cars, some of the best looking GM ever made IMO.
A lot of people just don't like the looks of the 71-72 GTO. Simple as that. Desirability drives price.

87 Grand National
Nothing stock

2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport Twin Turbo
Tune and cold air daily driver.

2019 CT6 BLACKWING