Old 01-19-2003, 09:35 PM

I have a 55 Chieftain with a 59 389 single 4bbl stock engine. I ran it for several years and wondered why it was gutless. I checked the casting #s and found it had 55 heads on it. I think the rebuilder may have swapped heads because the engine came out of a low mileage wrecked 59. Any way I couldn't find 59 heads so I put some 57 heads on it. Had them gone through with hard seats. Now it runs good except I can't get into any traffic on a warm day. I have a 3 row radiator and had it rodded out, my electric cooling fan comes on at 180. I added a 6 blade flex fan with the same results. I use Red Line water weter with my coolant. No combustion in the coolant, changed over to HEI all same results. Go down the road it's OK just don't get into traffic. Anyone have any suggestions?
Rich G {pammiesuesguy@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2003, 09:35 PM

I have a 55 Chieftain with a 59 389 single 4bbl stock engine. I ran it for several years and wondered why it was gutless. I checked the casting #s and found it had 55 heads on it. I think the rebuilder may have swapped heads because the engine came out of a low mileage wrecked 59. Any way I couldn't find 59 heads so I put some 57 heads on it. Had them gone through with hard seats. Now it runs good except I can't get into any traffic on a warm day. I have a 3 row radiator and had it rodded out, my electric cooling fan comes on at 180. I added a 6 blade flex fan with the same results. I use Red Line water weter with my coolant. No combustion in the coolant, changed over to HEI all same results. Go down the road it's OK just don't get into traffic. Anyone have any suggestions?
Rich G {pammiesuesguy@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2003, 10:22 PM
Suspended

Rich,
That is an interesting problem. I am sending you an e-mail for more information...Robert

Old 01-19-2003, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Timing overly retarded?

Carb. running too lean?

I'm assuming you're running some kind of shroud?

Old 01-20-2003, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sure you don't have any leaks? Mine was doing that after I put a new radiator in it just to find out that the brand new radiator cap wasn't sealing all the way. New $3.00 16# cap fixed the problem quick.

Give me a thumbs up, tell me "Nice Car!", but for god's sake, don't call it an Impala.

Old 01-20-2003, 05:50 PM

it sounds like an airflow problem.

another thing to check is belt tension. it's possible the water pump isn't turning fast ebough at idle.

mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 01-20-2003, 05:53 PM
Senior Chief

Improper fuel can bring up temp very fast at idle. Timing should always be checked and don't forget to check the amount of flow from the water pump! If these items are not correct you will have the same problem you described.