Old 02-02-2003, 10:42 PM

Ok, here starts one of many questions. I am in the process of getting my car together. I have read a few times on here that pontiacs run hot. If I put the stock radiator in my 66 (using 68 wt 400) is this sufficient? Or should I get it recored? Or if I am going thru the trouble of recoring, should I just get a bigger radiator? As most of us, I am trying to keep costs down. But I don't want to cook my engine either.

Impossible is only temporary
Old 02-02-2003, 10:42 PM

Ok, here starts one of many questions. I am in the process of getting my car together. I have read a few times on here that pontiacs run hot. If I put the stock radiator in my 66 (using 68 wt 400) is this sufficient? Or should I get it recored? Or if I am going thru the trouble of recoring, should I just get a bigger radiator? As most of us, I am trying to keep costs down. But I don't want to cook my engine either.

Old 02-03-2003, 03:18 PM

Don't bother to recore a 3 core rad. I did that and basically threw $250 away.Temp dropped less than 5 degrees, 200-205. Must have saw me coming for that price! I would buy the replacement 4 core rad. If your 66 is 3 core I would invest in a 4 core rad. This is what I wish I had spent my 268.56 on. Good luck!

Old 02-03-2003, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the info. I had pretty much heard that but i wanted to hear it from somebody else. Like I said...I am new to all this and just want to choose wisely. Where did you get your replacement rad?

Old 02-03-2003, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IF your current radiator is good try it out with the new engine. Unlike some others I have never had a Pontiac run hot in all the years I have been driving them.