Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM
Suspended

Default DONATE TO THE CAUSE

Who would be willing to donate parts or money to the cause...
It would be fun to build a car to run at Norwalk next year with donated parts.
We would need to find one person to oversee the project and run the car...
I am willing to donate a set of bare e heads to the project...
Any interest in this? I think it would be great to see...
Pontiac people are notoriously cheap but it could be a great way to pull them together

I vote Paul K as the one to have build and drive it!

Old 08-25-2019, 10:36 PM
Suspended

Donate.... damn fingers...lol

Old 08-26-2019, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm in.....maybe 🤔

Old 08-26-2019, 07:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

An entire car build is a pretty tall order. I have lots of parts and some potential cars. Who would own it when it's done?

Old 08-26-2019, 08:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Who would own it when it's done?"

Use it for a long term forum project. As time goes by, make small, low budget changes/upgrades. And try different parts, to see which parts help/hurt performance, & by how much. In other words, use it for a test mule. Maybe it could help answer some of the many questions raised here, such as best cam choice, etc.

Some here could donate parts. Some could donate labor. Just as an example: Maybe somebody has a good Q-jet core to donate, & another member could rebuild it correctly. Same on the trans & rear end. Maybe one guy could build the shortblock, another the heads, & somebody else could assemble it, sorta like buying an unassembled short block from Butler. That way maybe nobody would feel that they had to do too much work on it.

After a few years, if forum guys no longer wanna participate, auction the car off to forum member only. Then let forum members give their opinion of what to do with the money, & vote on the best ideas.

Hey, it's just one idea to consider.

Last edited by ponyakr; 08-26-2019 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
An entire car build is a pretty tall order. I have lots of parts and some potential cars. Who would own it when it's done?
Build and race the car, then following Norwalk, take it on Drag Week, and do a live auction at the conclusion...Do a poll to choose a deserving charity, and donate every dime...

Also, we could do something that I mentioned years ago...Gather pledges for every mile that the car successfully completes during Drag Week, and donate that too...

Just think of how big a program like this could be...

Old 08-26-2019, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 72 lemans body that's a good candidate. I'm all about a good charity. Honestly you could trip over enough stuff to build a mild bracket car here. If Paul and some others get on board I'm in.

Old 08-26-2019, 07:51 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefbigb View Post
I have a 72 lemans body that's a good candidate. I'm all about a good charity. Honestly you could trip over enough stuff to build a mild bracket car here. If Paul and some others get on board I'm in.
You could trip over enough stuff in your shop to build a 7sec car...

Old 08-26-2019, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am in to donate some parts.

Maybe raffle it off at Norwalk when done and donate the money to a charity everyone decides on.

Looks like opeliac beat me to it!

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 08-26-2019, 09:23 PM
Suspended

It would need to be set up as a corporation.... non profit I would say.. That way everything is above board and nobody gets screwed. There would be a group on the board that makes decisions and those that donate can vote on which charity gets the money.
I do like the idea of a Dragweek car and have people pledge per mile and then raffle off the car...
It would be a great way to raise money for a charity or several charity's while having fun doing it. A way for Pontiac people to let the world know just because GM abandoned the brand, we have not...
Might be a pipe dream but I think it is possible... I think a lot of money can be raised...

Old 08-26-2019, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Roberts View Post
It would need to be set up as a corporation.... non profit I would say.. That way everything is above board and nobody gets screwed. There would be a group on the board that makes decisions and those that donate can vote on which charity gets the money.
I do like the idea of a Dragweek car and have people pledge per mile and then raffle off the car...
It would be a great way to raise money for a charity or several charity's while having fun doing it. A way for Pontiac people to let the world know just because GM abandoned the brand, we have not...
Might be a pipe dream but I think it is possible... I think a lot of money can be raised...
I’m in if we can only donate KRE parts therefore it would be one of the fastest cars on a shoestring budget!!! 😎

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-26-2019, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can donate engine parts

Old 08-26-2019, 11:09 PM
Senior Chief

Just to elaborate on this a bit...I approached Hot Rod about doing the pledges during the Power Tour, in 1999...

We talked about stopping at random tracks along the way, and putting some passes down...This was before Drag Week ever started...They were willing to go forward with it, but before we could get the ball rolling, my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia...After a two year battle, I lost her and was left to raise a 1 1/2 yr old son, and a 3 1/2 yr old daughter...Racing was put on hold, along with the idea...

My kids are grown now, and its time to get back to racing...I am in the process of building a twin turbo'd 2+2 for Drag Week 2020...

The few people that I have mentioned the charity idea to, have been very positive about it...So I do think its sitting there waiting to make a big impact for someone, or some group...

We would need to put together a plan that would make the biggest "splash"...It needs to be FAST, driveable, and not a high dollar build...It needs to be a car that stands out for the performance, instead of looking like a blank check built it...

Parts selection, as well as expertise could make it become a reality...With the right plan, it wouldnt be real hard to get some serious help...An open and honest group, looking to truly leave a mark on society, could make this happen with ease...

A successful attempt just might attract some of the younger crowd to the Pontiac brand...That would be a win win.

Old 08-26-2019, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by opeliac View Post
Just to elaborate on this a bit...I approached Hot Rod about doing the pledges during the Power Tour, in 1999...

We talked about stopping at random tracks along the way, and putting some passes down...This was before Drag Week ever started...They were willing to go forward with it, but before we could get the ball rolling, my wife was diagnosed with Leukemia...After a two year battle, I lost her and was left to raise a 1 1/2 yr old son, and a 3 1/2 yr old daughter...Racing was put on hold, along with the idea...

My kids are grown now, and its time to get back to racing...I am in the process of building a twin turbo'd 2+2 for Drag Week 2020...

The few people that I have mentioned the charity idea to, have been very positive about it...So I do think its sitting there waiting to make a big impact for someone, or some group...

We would need to put together a plan that would make the biggest "splash"...It needs to be FAST, driveable, and not a high dollar build...It needs to be a car that stands out for the performance, instead of looking like a blank check built it...

Parts selection, as well as expertise could make it become a reality...With the right plan, it wouldnt be real hard to get some serious help...An open and honest group, looking to truly leave a mark on society, could make this happen with ease...

A successful attempt just might attract some of the younger crowd to the Pontiac brand...That would be a win win.
Sorry to hear about the loss of your wife.

Sometime around 2009, I approached the promoter of the largest Pontiac event to auction my 1963 Lemans Convertible to help raise money for cancer. In the spring of that year, I purchased the car from Dave Johnson’s (White Warrior) wife, Dave passed away the year before from cancer. I suggested that I would bring the car to Norwalk, we could take donations running people up and down the drag strip during down time and raffle the car off at the event. I wasn’t looking to profit from this offer, just cover my initial investment in the car with the additional proceeds going to the American cancer society. The idea wasn't considered “viable”, I sold the car a month later for much more money than I had in it.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-27-2019, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like this could happen. I will do my part

Old 08-27-2019, 08:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Who would be the designated driver?
How often raced/driven/tested?

The logistics of getting everything all together in one place?

I have a dragster test bed.
Go real fast cheap.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 08-27-2019, 08:54 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Who would be the designated driver?
How often raced/driven/tested?

The logistics of getting everything all together in one place?

I have a dragster test bed.
Go real fast cheap.

I would say the two main events would be Norwalk, and then Drag Week...

As far as testing, no more than needed to line it out...

The big question to be debated would be which combo to go with? It has to make enough HP to be impressive, yet HAS to have the reliability to survive the week...Failure cant be an option.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...It would need to be set up as a corporation..."

Yeah, when you think about the legal side of a race car, it sorta knocks this whole Idea in the head. Having set up a small corp many years ago, I still remember all the paperwork it took. You have to hire an accountant to properly keep up with all the necessary paperwork.

Then there's the liability question. Suppose someone, or something of value is harmed by the car. Somebody's libel. So, you'd need some sort of racing insurance ???

Guessing it MIGHT be best to have the title of the car in one man's name, with insurance in his name. This way only one man would be libel, & you wouldn't have to keep up all the legal paperwork required for a corp.

Then, the owner would sign the car over to the next owner, which would end his liability period.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...It has to make enough HP to be impressive..."

I can already see this becoming like one of those notorious cam threads, with everybody arguing about which part will make it quicker.

What I thought began as a way to show that it doesn't take a lot of money to build a decent low budget bracket car, has become "how quick can we possibly make it go with donated parts". I should have known, since this IS in the race section.

But, I'm not a player anyhow. So, I'll shut up about it.

Old 08-27-2019, 09:58 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
"...It has to make enough HP to be impressive..."

I can already see this becoming like one of those notorious cam threads, with everybody arguing about which part will make it quicker.

What I thought began as a way to show that it doesn't take a lot of money to build a decent low budget bracket car, has become "how quick can we possibly make it go with donated parts". I should have known, since this IS in the race section.

But, I'm not a player anyhow. So, I'll shut up about it.
If you stop and think outside of the box a bit, you'll find that a fast street car can be built without breaking the piggy bank...

It takes a smart approach to the initial design...The lightest body possible, strong rear end components, durable transmission, and well chosen engine parts...I'm not talking about making big HP, but i'm not talking about a car that wont catch any attention either...I would HAVE to turn heads...

Also, keep in mind that I am talking about a project that would be auctioned off on the last day of Drag Week...In order to bring good money, it would have to be impressive.