Old 08-21-2012, 12:38 AM

Default WTB Pontiac 400 Block with J-xx-8 date

I am needing a Pontiac 400 block, casting #9790071 with a date of J-xx-8. That would be any block code in the month of October 1968.

Feel free to email me what you have along with the bore of the block. Engine code not important to me.

Mark Booher
214-926-0119 cell
BooherPerformance@earthlink.net

Old 08-21-2012, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

i have a 68 bock i will check the date tomorrow

Old 08-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Default 68 Block

Thank you, let me know what you learn.

Old 08-26-2012, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a February 68 block, if you are unable to find one in October....

Importsmasher

66 GTO convertible 389/4 speed (parents bought new)
73 Firebird Formula 400/4 speed
74 GTO 455/4 speed
74 Grand Am
Old 08-26-2012, 09:59 PM

The craziest thing ever happened yesterday. I buffed the face of the block that was in my 69 Firebird down low where the VIN was stamped & I was finally able to read the numbers with a magnifying glass... It ended up being the original block to the car... The problem I was having was that the block had been stamped with a WT & then a WZ right on top of it just off to the lower right of the unit number & then the WZ was also stamped in the correct location... No big deal, I have seen that before but I thought that someone had try to restamp it since the block was dated 4 months earlier than the build date of the car. I had just walked away from it once I saw the 4 month date range gap.... So I have the correct block , heads & intake for this Triple Black 69 FB 400 4 speed car... I have a couple of calls out now with some people who might be able to shed some light on this huge 4 month gap between the engine casting dates & the build date of the car.... Anyone that reads this, feel free to drop your input.... The car was built 11B of 1968....... the engine block, heads & intake are all dated G-11-8 \ G-12-8 \ G-09-8 respectfully...... I have never seen such a wide build date gap on a 69 Bird.... July on the engine to November on the body...

FYI... I know the GM stamping fonts\size\spacing very well for both the Unit number\code & the VIN stamping as well as the stone ground surface on the front of Pontiac blocks.... These stampings are original GM stampings.....

Anyone ever seen this big of a date gap?

Last edited by Mbooher; 08-26-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you have the build sheet, check to see who the car was sold to. I've seen two cars that were delivered to Pontiac engineering. Both cars had engine components that were dated well after the build sheet.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:40 AM

All I have is the PHS & it shows that in November of 1968, it was sold & sent to a dealership in Teague Texas which is just south of Dallas ..... I think I am going to try to have a Title Search done by the TXDOT or the Texas Department of Motor Vehicles & see who all has owned it. I think it has been a local car its entire life.... If there had been some type of strike from July 1968 to around September or October 1968 this would all make sense to me... I have a lot of Birds & never have I seen one where the engine components were built so many months prior to when the car\body was built. I suppose this engine could have been sent to Engineering & then installed in the body 4 months later... who knows? Anything is possible... One thing is for sure... this car has captured my attention more than any I have owned in the past..... Someone will have knowledge of what was happening during this timeframe.... Thanks for your input....

Old 08-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Well... you may be on to something about Engineering.... Someone had stamped right on top of the VIN stamping.... They stamped the Following " E 2 3 3 " ..... I assumed that this was something a machine shop had done but it makes me wonder if the "E" stood for Engineering...... Any ideal on this one?

Old 08-30-2012, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Glad to figured it out, it being the original block.

I just got in a J118 XH code '69400 .

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:04 AM

I was also informed that there was what is known as "First In, Last Out"...... Meaning that my block\engine would have been one of the first castings in July 1968 for the 69 model about to be assembled... Therefore, that when these engines were sent over to be warehoused for the assembly line, the first built were stored in the far back, so as more & more engines arrived to be warehoused they were basically unobtainable until the engine supply was depleted to the point it was time to install it in a body...4 months later in November in my case.... Once again explaining the date gap....Last engine Out... Makes sense to me.....Who would have cared?

I have a friend who has or had an Original 69 TA that has a 6 month date gap..... I have an Original 69 TA & the dates are pretty close on it.......

I did track down the second owner & his son this week here in the DFW area...They are going to dig up some old photgraphs for me & answer a few questions that I have... Pretty cool locating them & then speaking with them about the car....

I took the engine apart yesterday & it was .030 over so I know it has been rebuilt at some point...