Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-06-2018, 02:25 AM

Default fuel leak in fuel pump.

i noticed a fuel leak when i was about to put my lemans in storage. i thought one of the rubber lines was the cause but after changing both hoses, the leak is still there. the leak is coming from the lower base of the pump. the fuel is coming out of the bottom from the extension that accepts the supply line from the tank. stock fuel pump, .030+ 400, quadrajet.
no leak when engine is off, starts to drip when engine is running.
not sure what the inside of the pump looks like but is it possible the rubber diaphragm has been destroyed by fuel with ethanol?
a couple of months ago i posted a thread regarding the fact i could not get over 4500 rpms , confirmed the spring pressure on valves was 105#.
suggestions were not enough spring pressure or a lack of fuel. it is possible the defect in fuel pump causing the leak was not producing enough fuel pressure.
i ordered a higher volume pump which i will install at the end of the week.
let's hope this solves both the leak and i get closer to 5000 rpm's.
i appreciated all the respones from my previous thread on spring pressure.
thanks,
paul

Old 11-06-2018, 03:09 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check your oil closely. See if it's high and smell it to detect gasoline smell. Occasionally, one of these pumps will dump raw fuel into the oil sump. I know because it happened to a '74 Trans Am I had. Not good, especially if the fumes ignite.

Old 11-06-2018, 12:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Definitely sounds like a ruptured diaphram. That can be caused from age just as well as from corrosive materials.

As Greg Reid stated, check your oil level and give it a good smell. If you've got gasoline in the oil, you can cause bearing damage due to poor lubrication. Leaking like it is, I wouldn't even both with tearing it open and inspecting it, I'd go straight to a new pump.