Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 09-27-2020, 10:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Help with a Holley 2300 2bbl carb

I have a friend with a 66 Mustang and 289 engine. It has a Holley 2300 on it with a spacer for the PCV valve under it. THere was a leak at the front of the carb so we decided to rebuild the carb. After rebuilding the car fired up and ran beautifully although the fuel filter was leaking. It idled very smoothly and had great throttle response.

Once I left my friend removed the carb to replace the fuel filter (why I do not know). Once he did the car wouldnt start. He then said he then pulled the plugs to check them and couldnt get it running properly.

I then began troubleshooting the car and noticed that it wouldnt idle worth a piss. I found some vacuum leaks at the gaskets under the spacer but the carb still WILL NOT IDLE. We have checked the power valve and tried a different one. Float level is correct. We do not have control of fuel at idle, the jetting is too rich. Jets were marked "52" with an upside down 2 after that. I measured them and they measure around .048"... Seems very small. Any ideas of things to try before this thing hits the dumpster?

1968 Lemans. 37,000 original miles. GTO clone. 462ci/KRE 290 heads. UltraDyne 280/288 Solid/850 Qjet by Cliff/Performer RPM/TSP 9.5" in TH400/8.5" 3.42 gears/3950# Race weight/12.58@106 at Bandimere speedway high altitude