Old 10-04-2016, 05:34 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Do resonators stop drone ?

hi, I am wondering has anyone fitted resonators to stop drone, I have tried a few different mufflers but they droned at around 2000 rpm , took them off fitted VT'S no drone but lost power, I am thinking to put the straight thru muffs back on with resonators on the tail pipes , any thoughts anyone ? thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 10:46 AM

Tried resonators at end of tail pipes. Did nothing for drone. Made exhaust quieter, of course. Seems from various posts on this and other forums about drone, the most success is from removing X pipe. I believe it's Tom S. on this forum that has removed X pipes from several of his cars with 100% success in removing drone with no seat of the pants loss in power.

Old 10-04-2016, 02:13 PM
Suspended

As far as mufflers I to tried a few of them until I came across the new style Thrush Turbo flow mufflers. They have a great sound & no drone at all. They are they same as far as reg. style mufflers they are the oval type & come in 2 1/2 & 3 inch in & out & them come with the inlet & outlet where they need to be. cost is the best part, they run about $ 40.00 a piece. I've run them now for about 4 years & they sound great & they last.

Old 10-04-2016, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69 Limelight View Post
Tried resonators at end of tail pipes. Did nothing for drone. Made exhaust quieter, of course. Seems from various posts on this and other forums about drone, the most success is from removing X pipe. I believe it's Tom S. on this forum that has removed X pipes from several of his cars with 100% success in removing drone with no seat of the pants loss in power.
my exhaust guy suggested removing X but the x pipe smooths out the sound and makes it more quite, he said the gas it basically going thru x then both muffs so its a softer sound, so it might reduce or stop drone if remove the x but he said it will be louder as exhaust gas it sent thru just 1 muff each time, not sure I would like that louder sound either

Old 10-04-2016, 06:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexs73gto View Post
As far as mufflers I to tried a few of them until I came across the new style Thrush Turbo flow mufflers. They have a great sound & no drone at all. They are they same as far as reg. style mufflers they are the oval type & come in 2 1/2 & 3 inch in & out & them come with the inlet & outlet where they need to be. cost is the best part, they run about $ 40.00 a piece. I've run them now for about 4 years & they sound great & they last.
I guess maybe it might work but every car is different I see cars with my system that don't drone, I have tried 2 different sets of mufflers and really don't want to by another set hoping they will work, from images I have seen the thrush isn't a true straight thru muff so would loose a bit of power just like the VT's do, so I may as well stay with the VT's , I'm trying to use a true straight thru muff like the magnaflows but without drone , I'm thinking its not going to happen, thanks....

Old 10-04-2016, 07:51 PM

Compression ratio, valve opening and closing events (camshaft), intake manifold, exhaust manifolds or headers all play a part. Unless you can find the same car with same engine build, drivetrain, rear gear and exhaust system, yours may drone and other persons may not. It's a trial and error process. You're unwilling to try removing X because it "might" be too loud, the VT's are robbing power, you've tried a few different mufflers and don't want to try any more, I'd say you're at the end of the road. Turn up the radio or buy some ear plugs.

Old 10-04-2016, 08:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Compression ratio, valve opening and closing events (camshaft), intake manifold, exhaust manifolds or headers all play a part. Unless you can find the same car with same engine build, drivetrain, rear gear and exhaust system, yours may drone and other persons may not. It's a trial and error process. You're unwilling to try removing X because it "might" be too loud, the VT's are robbing power, you've tried a few different mufflers and don't want to try any more, I'd say you're at the end of the road. Turn up the radio or buy some ear plugs.
yep I think your right I'm over it , my last attempt fitting race pros, then removing and buying new magnaflows $600 and fitting , then refitting vt's and exhaust guys cost to fit and remove all this cost me $1000 all up, ....so yep kinda over spending more cash and time, but vt's are on now no need for earplugs is fine to drive nice and quite, but I do loose some power mainly down low , when i stomp on it I think its pretty much same as straight thru muffs, but low speed cruising round town its not as responsive , not a major loss but I can notice it, but its going to have to do......for now

Old 10-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Suspended

Are you sure about the amount of power you think your loosing because I think you just might be hearing some different sounds rather then actually loosing any real power. I don't know of any real lose in power from any muffler that is on the market today. all the ones you have tried are performance mufflers & I really don't think you could really tell any real lose of power but maybe some difference in sound. Plus taking the X-pipe off as mentioned it won't make any real change in the drone but maybe in the sound . Plus the Thrush mufflers are made like a straight through muffler , & if you look at the design of them you would see how the insides work & perform.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Are you sure about the amount of power you think your loosing because I think you just might be hearing some different sounds rather then actually loosing any real power. I don't know of any real lose in power from any muffler that is on the market today. all the ones you have tried are performance mufflers & I really don't think you could really tell any real lose of power but maybe some difference in sound. Plus taking the X-pipe off as mentioned it won't make any real change in the drone but maybe in the sound . Plus the Thrush mufflers are made like a straight through muffler , & if you look at the design of them you would see how the insides work & perform.
Very possible. Sound can play a big part in placebo effect.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Very possible. Sound can play a big part in a placebo effect.

Old 10-05-2016, 03:18 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
hi, pic attached of thrush turbos, a true straight thru muffler is where you can see in one end and out the other, no restriction, maybe you are talking about some other thrush turbo ? but these are not straight thru, see pic this is not a straight thru muffler it is restricting the flow, as soon as you put any restriction in the path of flow you loose power, that's why they do mandrel bends to give smooth flow, no turbulence, I know my car well and I can feel the power loss, if I put the magnaflows on it feels more responsive more pep, u can look in one end and straight out the other magnas are straight thru, the dynomax vt's are still nice sounding they have a decent note at idle, and no drone because they have a door inside that opens with the pressure from the exhaust gas, but at low revs when just putting light pressure on the throttle I think that door inside is not opening fully, so it restricting the flow, it is loosing power, even if the door fully opens it is still right in the centre of the pipe causing turbulence so these VT'S will never be as good as a straight thru muffler, its not me just thinking because of the sound difference the magnas are not loud so its no big difference in sound, the magnas just drone that's the issue, power but drone , I also have the gardner system virtually brand new hanging in the garage, its 2 1/4 inch with gardners turbo muffs, it don't drone but same deal I feel the power loss, the 2 and 1/4 pipe necks down to fit into the 2 inch muffler end, so really the pipe is about 1 and 3/4 inch when it goes into the muffler, so that's going to kill power 1 and 3/4 inch , I have tried a fair few things and bottom line the straight thru magnaflows or the race pros both give more power
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thrush.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	438050  

Old 10-05-2016, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in the day, when i flipped the lid on the stock 2 barrel air cleaner, that thing sounded way faster.. Then replaced the transverse single exhaust muffler with a single glass-pack. Man, my car was flying.

Old 10-05-2016, 02:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dynomax 17749 (offset in/out) 20" case Super Turbo's. Good flowing muffler. I had Flowmasters (50 series) on my GTO to start with and at most any rpm you'd run on the street you couldn't hear yourself think. The DRONE was terrible. With no other change than swapping on the 17749's my car was completely transformed. No drone at any rpm. I have always run an H pipe. 2.5" mandrel bent pipes. Search 17749 in the archives. They have a pretty strong following.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 10-05-2016, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I believe it helps remove the drone but no loss in power? I've read dozens of things online that say on engines over 500hp that adding a proper x-pipe can actually help gain up to 15hp.

Since when I install my new top-end I can only afford to dyno tune for that, I planned on using the "performance meters" functions in my Dakota Digital gauges to see if there is a difference with and without an x-pipe in 0-60 and 1/4 mile. I have an auto trans and can do the tests the same day at the same place. I'll also make 3 runs each time to get an average.

I'm genuinely curious. Plus I would of course like to compare the sound with and without.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I would be interested in hearing from people who cut out the X pipe. My Pypes X system has all kinds of drone.

Old 04-25-2020, 11:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
I would be interested in hearing from people who cut out the X pipe. My Pypes X system has all kinds of drone.
hi I tried everything to stop drone on my 2.5 inch pypes system, various mufflers, adding weights to pipe all that, nothing worked until I found my fix, i still have the VT's fitted, no drone, no rattles some speak about, i can talk and hear my radio when at cruse, stomp on it and there is the power and the nice tone its all good why mess around , the vt muffler is the answer without question

Old 04-25-2020, 11:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiesta62 View Post
hi I tried everything to stop drone on my 2.5 inch pypes system, various mufflers, adding weights to pipe all that, nothing worked until I found my fix, i still have the VT's fitted, no drone, no rattles some speak about, i can talk and hear my radio when at cruse, stomp on it and there is the power and the nice tone its all good why mess around , the vt muffler is the answer without question
VT?

Old 04-25-2020, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blued and Painted View Post
Back in the day, when i flipped the lid on the stock 2 barrel air cleaner, that thing sounded way faster.. Then replaced the transverse single exhaust muffler with a single glass-pack. Man, my car was flying.
HA! All the young kids in my area subscribe to this way of thinking.

Old 04-26-2020, 01:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenga View Post
VT?
dynamax vt.…. vt is valve technology, simple plate on stainless spring that opens when you stomp on the gas, you then get straight thru sound and power, metal door stays mostly shut on cruise so its quite and zero drone, no brainer they work I proved it after so much wasted money and time doing everything else

Old 04-26-2020, 07:31 AM

Motor Trend did a bunch of videos where they dyno tested mufflers and 2.5 v 3" exhaust etc to see if that stuff actually made more power. I think was all on SBC. You can see them on Youtube. Bottom line there is a difference. I don't know if you can feel 4-10 hp as much as you can experience the sound of muffler change. But there is a difference.