Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-08-2020, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Browning BPS indentification

I've got a Browning BPS 12 ga I bought 30 something years ago new. Having some difficulty nailing down the exact model. Serial number shows it as a "Hunter" model produced in 1987.

But ... it's got a full gloss stock and forestock, with checkering on both, but no engraving on the receiver. Came with the invector choke system.

3" chamber and 26" barrel.

Seems to be between a Hunter model and a Medallion. Hunter should not have a gloss stock or checkering, but a Medallion should have engraving.

It's possible I ordered it special, I don't remember.

Thanks

Old 10-08-2020, 10:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As I remember when I was selling them,they did have a gloss finish.Tom

Old 10-08-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

When I looked them up on the Browning website it listed the Hunter model having a satin finish stock and no checkering on the stock or forestock. It was in the discontinued model list ... but I'm not sure if the list goes back to 87, it's possible in the 80's they did have a gloss stock and checkering.

Serial suffix is "PR152" PR = 87, 152 = Hunter model

Kind of like decoding a VIN

Old 10-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If all else fails maybe call Browning?Tom

Old 10-08-2020, 03:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a huge deal really, just came across the mystery when I was organizing things in the cabinet. I think they might have sold "deluxe" models of various standard shotguns. This one has the gold plated trigger and gold inlaid "buck" on the trigger guard, but I think that was fairly common in the 80's.