Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
Most of ours have spun rod bearings. And high oil consumption had been a issue as well, although the dealer tells us that’s normal. We’ve had to fight them on broken valve springs and rocker arms as well but they claim our drivers are hot rodding them.
Read on a Ford Super Duty site where a another Company bought two 6.2s. They both broke rockers, then read the same from you.

Thanks for the response.

Old 10-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticmissle View Post
I borrowed my brothers 2012 f250 lariat with a 6.2 this weekend. Biggest dog I have ever driven. 5.3 ls would run circles around it. I guess they are durable though with the exceptions listed above. I won't be buying one of those.
The shop truck is a Chevy 5.3. From a stop light it feels snappier than my 6.2, hook up a trailer its a different story.

Old 10-26-2020, 06:35 PM
Senior Chief

besides my pontiac i am a ford guy and my opinion is that your net gonna get a better deal than at tasca ford. flood lost a sale on a set of floor mats on a 38.000 escape.

Old 10-26-2020, 08:10 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
this was local to me in RI Flood Ford. What dealer has them sitting, because that's the one I want lol. I went to Hamden for the last one. 2 hour drive to save 4k. Yes please.
Flood Ford
This is the dealer to call for an extended warranty on a new ford. My dealer couldn't even come close to what Flood offers. I called Flood to inquire why so cheap and if its the same Ford plan my dealer offered. It was the same Ford plan, and the dealer explained to me that they do 100 bucks over their cost. If you just bought a Ford in the last year and want to save, I saved $1800, go to their website and check it out. Warranties can be canceled, their prorated.

Old 10-26-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I test drove a 3/4 Chevy with a 6.6, now that had balls. Too bad the styling is so hideous but the GM LS based engines don’t have all the issues that the Ford and Hemi Chrysler engines do.
If I was going to use a gas engine for pulling I’d look at a GMC (better looking) with that engine.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.

Last edited by 455Grandville; 10-26-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-27-2020, 06:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree the new gmcs look awesome. the new chevy looks like crap. I loved my 6.7 ford, it was just time to send it before the rust got so bad it needed repair.
How about the ford aluminum bodies. I hear body shops hate them, but it has to be a plus for the truck owner right?

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 10-27-2020, 07:54 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Another dealer to look at is Colombia Ford.

The diesel shop I deal with talks very highly of them.

Between the guys at the diesel shop,and their customers,10 trucks were bought from Colombia Ford last year.

Ken French Built Chassis

Carlquist Competition Engines IA2 505
Competition CNC Ported Super Chiefs
CCE Ported Gustram
Twin Dominators from Shaker 455
963 HP

`09 Electra Glide Standard.

`03 F-350 7.3 6-speed 4x4 Crew Cab Dually.
Old 10-27-2020, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I borrowed my brothers 2012 f250 lariat with a 6.2 this weekend. Biggest dog I have ever driven. 5.3 ls would run circles around it. I guess they are durable though with the exceptions listed above. I won't be buying one of those.
I talked to gengras, as I figured that's where you were looking. they have lots of inventory, they like everyone else will only sell to the invoice minus any rebates. there is not even room to throw in a bed liner if they are to be believed. Another few weeks I think they will have to start to increase the incentives. There are a lot more trucks available the more I look.
I've towed thousands of miles, 24' Enclosed trailer, loaded and unloaded with my 2015 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra with NO problems. Runs like the trailer isn't back there and brakes just fine. North Georgia to Norwalk, South Florida, etc.

If I was only towing 5k miles per year, no way would I pay for a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I get 10-12 miles per gallon towing and 20 or better without a trailer.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-27-2020, 09:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
I test drove a 3/4 Chevy with a 6.6, now that had balls. Too bad the styling is so hideous but the GM LS based engines don’t have all the issues that the Ford and Hemi Chrysler engines do.
If I was going to use a gas engine for pulling I’d look at a GMC (better looking) with that engine.
6.6 gas engine? Is that something recent?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 10-28-2020, 06:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

im guessing he means 6.2 I have heard that is a beast.

I talked to gengras, as I figured that's where you were looking. they have lots of inventory, they like everyone else will only sell to the invoice minus any rebates. there is not even room to throw in a bed liner if they are to be believed. Another few weeks I think they will have to start to increase the incentives. There are a lot more trucks available the more I look.

I've towed thousands of miles, 24' Enclosed trailer, loaded and unloaded with my 2015 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra with NO problems. Runs like the trailer isn't back there and brakes just fine. North Georgia to Norwalk, South Florida, etc.

If I was only towing 5k miles per year, no way would I pay for a 3/4 or 1 ton pickup. I get 10-12 miles per gallon towing and 20 or better without a trailer.

I tow a 28 footer with a golf cart. it has to be in the 11k range. I used to do it with a 5.7 tundra. IT had plenty of motor but not enough brakes. I didn't think it was safe enough, so I got a 3/4 ton diesel. We have a lot of hills here in New England and New York. Just because you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck doesn't mean you should. I have a 2.5 to 3 hour tow minimum to get to any track, if it was down the street , I would be towing with an 82 350 square body and loving it! lol

Old 10-28-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
6.6 gas engine? Is that something recent?
Yea, 401 horses and 464 ft pds of torque. I always preferred Fords when it came to trucks but it’s hard to deny these LS engines are a great design. Plus if it has a Allison behind it, that’s a tough drivetrain.

https://media.chevrolet.com/media/us...o-hd-2020.html

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
The Following User Says Thank You to 455Grandville For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that media release is from march and does not include the ford 10 spd trans and the 7.3 gas motor. I did not realize they upped the 6.2 to a 6.6. is it not even the same block? Those LS are definitely an amazing design.

Old 10-28-2020, 04:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
that media release is from march and does not include the ford 10 spd trans and the 7.3 gas motor. I did not realize they upped the 6.2 to a 6.6. is it not even the same block? Those LS are definitely an amazing design.
From what the sales guy told me it’s of the same architecture. He mentioned the 6.6 uses a special kind of oil pump but I cant I find info on it.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
Old 10-28-2020, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
im guessing he means 6.2 I have heard that is a beast.

I tow a 28 footer with a golf cart. it has to be in the 11k range. I used to do it with a 5.7 tundra. IT had plenty of motor but not enough brakes. I didn't think it was safe enough, so I got a 3/4 ton diesel. We have a lot of hills here in New England and New York. Just because you can tow with a 1/2 ton truck doesn't mean you should. I have a 2.5 to 3 hour tow minimum to get to any track, if it was down the street , I would be towing with an 82 350 square body and loving it! lol
I have towed approx 40k miles in the last few years with a 24ft alum enclosed trailer and my tow vehicle is a 5.7 Tundra 4WD with 430 gears. More than enough, but you mentioned a 28' trailer. I think I would switch to a 3/4 ton diesel for that. While I have no trouble with what I tow, a steel trailers added weight plus 4 additional feet, it's not worth the risk. Your pushing the limit if not exceeding of any 1/2 ton truck.

Old 10-28-2020, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I have towed approx 40k miles in the last few years with a 24ft alum enclosed trailer and my tow vehicle is a 5.7 Tundra 4WD with 430 gears. More than enough, but you mentioned a 28' trailer. I think I would switch to a 3/4 ton diesel for that. While I have no trouble with what I tow, a steel trailers added weight plus 4 additional feet, it's not worth the risk. Your pushing the limit if not exceeding of any 1/2 ton truck.
I fellow racer tows a 28 footer loaded with a Ford Maverick, 2 Jr. Dragsters, 2 Pit Bikes, Golf Cart, Air Compressor, large tool box, winch and all of the other typical things a racer needs at the track.

He tows it all with an F150 with an Ecoboost.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief of the 60's View Post
I fellow racer tows a 28 footer loaded with a Ford Maverick, 2 Jr. Dragsters, 2 Pit Bikes, Golf Cart, Air Compressor, large tool box, winch and all of the other typical things a racer needs at the track.

He tows it all with an F150 with an Ecoboost.
I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying you're pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton truck. I tend to push things and sometimes tow what I shouldn't, but if that's someone's plan to do on a regular basis, IMO, foolish.

I love my Tundra's and dread the thought of needing something heavier but it was also the reason I sprung for an all aluminum trailer to lighten the load. It saves me about 1000lbs of weight. JMO

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
I'm not saying you can't do it, I'm saying you're pushing the limits of a 1/2 ton truck. I tend to push things and sometimes tow what I shouldn't, but if that's someone's plan to do on a regular basis, IMO, foolish.

I love my Tundra's and dread the thought of needing something heavier but it was also the reason I sprung for an all aluminum trailer to lighten the load. It saves me about 1000lbs of weight. JMO
You're fine if you have the right tires. Load Range "E" are a must. All 1/2 ton trucks come with "P" (passenger) rated tires (aka. car tires).

There's a guy (vendor) that shows up every year at Norwalk with a Tundra pulling about a 32 footer that is waaaay overloaded. The receiver hitch is literally inches from the ground. First thing I checked was the tires on that Tundra, they were "P" rated. I can't believe the guy makes it out of his driveway without those tires popping like balloons.

B.T.W.: If you tow more than a few times a year or tow heavy loads with your Tundra, check the rear axle bearings. Toyota has an issue with those. Seems as though they built the hell out of the truck but used too small of an axle bearing.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:56 PM
Suspended

This is how men towed prior to everyone buying a diesel to haul their golf cart around...…………

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chief of the 60's For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

that is an awesome picture. Those are the good old days. I had more fun per dollar, with my rat 10 second firebird than i do now with my gto or 8 sec firebird tube car. And its true my old golf cart weighed almost 800 pounds. I sold it over the summer, i will either bring my four wheeled or a battery golf cart that may weigh the same or a bit more i'm thinking.

Old 10-30-2020, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'll be ordering a 7.3 truck in January. 16-18 weeks out to get an ordered one right now. Watch the reviews on TFL Truck on youtube, they're pretty objective with their reviews. My feeling is, if your're going to get one, do it right and order the 4:30 gears. It's only about .8 mpg difference in their tests, and i'm sure pulls much better than the 3:55. The low end torque and max torque is close to the last 7.3 diesels they built, without the 9k premium over the 7.3 gas. I can buy alot of extra gas with that 9k, cheaper maintence and much cheaper to repair. That 10 speed has to "learn", so funky shifting for the first couple hundred miles should be expected. Full disclosure, I work in the plant where these trucks are built.