Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 11-13-2000, 08:40 AM

Anyone try this swap yet? I was thinking about it since the 455 E-Head EFI engine I want to do might be too expensive.

I was thinking about it. IT would knock about 100-150lbs off the front end compared to a 455. Plus I could easily bolt up a T56 or 4L60E tranny. Any thoughts about this swap.

And I guess I would rather keep the 455 for Drag duty.

------------------
1966 GTO awaiting restoration, 1999 Ram Air Trans Am

Old 11-13-2000, 08:40 AM

Anyone try this swap yet? I was thinking about it since the 455 E-Head EFI engine I want to do might be too expensive.

I was thinking about it. IT would knock about 100-150lbs off the front end compared to a 455. Plus I could easily bolt up a T56 or 4L60E tranny. Any thoughts about this swap.

And I guess I would rather keep the 455 for Drag duty.

------------------
1966 GTO awaiting restoration, 1999 Ram Air Trans Am

Old 11-13-2000, 10:13 AM
Suspended

What's an "LS-1?"

Old 11-13-2000, 10:28 AM

LS1 is the current engine in the Corvette and Camaro/Firebird.

Old 11-13-2000, 10:42 AM
Suspended

Oh. I see.

Do these engines, along with their respective transmissions, yokes, computer control systems, engine swap brackets, headers, etc., come cheaper than do real Pontiac engines?

Old 11-13-2000, 10:58 AM

Well, the price is nominal. A LS1 out of a wrecked F-body will run around $3000. A aftermarket harness and computer is another $500. Then I would have to buy headers $700.

The 455 I wanted to build would cost a fortune. THe EFI unit is around $2700 all by itself. Then I need the E-heads$2000, headers, etc.

I could pull the tranny along with the engine. The only problem I am looking at is the motor mounts.

Old 11-13-2000, 11:34 AM
Administrator

Scott, easy does it. You're in a Chevy Powered Forum.

Old 11-13-2000, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why spend all that $$$ on a small block when you can buy a 502c.i. HO 440 hp from GM along with a warranty,new?? No computer bs involved,and its got torque like a built Poncho motor...
You can also get a complete zz4 350 ho new from chevy with aluminum heads,intake,ditrib.waterpump,balancer,oil pan,etc.and a new motor warranty..For $2,999.95??? That ones rated at 355 hp/405 ft-lbs. torque....I prefer Pontiac motors in a pontiac,and vis-versa,but what ever floats yer boat.... [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img] steve.

Old 11-13-2000, 02:05 PM

I am guessing that you have no experience with computer controlled cars. They are very easy to work on. Tune and so forth. I just got a email from a gentleman with one in his chevelle and it was some work but it is different. And that is what I want. I don't and won't put a BBC or SBC in a GTO. I don't like seeing that but I have YET to see a LS1 in a Pontiac that had Traditional power.

I would like to save my 455 for Drag racing.

Take a ride in a LS1 powered car, it won't dissapoint. Pete McCarthy did, and he is sold on them. Thanks for the input.

Old 11-13-2000, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A LS1 engine may run good but a thing of beauty it's not. I would rather see a Tri Power sitting on top of a Pontiac engine when I lifted the hood of a 66 GTO than an ugly LS1 engine.

[This message has been edited by Ken K (edited 11-13-2000).]

Old 11-13-2000, 04:20 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

Did you know that the LS1 will only accept a re-hone? No room for even the smallest over-bore! That the LS1 heads can't be milled? They are so thin any removal of material and they will warp! You have the LS1 in your TA, Please keep the GTO all Pontiac.

------------------
That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

Old 11-13-2000, 04:40 PM

i'd leave the pontiac in the pontiac and if you want an ls1 then build a street rod. and before you ask yes i do have extensive experience with computer controlled fuel injection systems[dealer experience]. one of the best things about the traditional pontiac engine is the torque, and you'll lose that with the corprate powerplant.
leave the throw away engines for the throw away cars. mike

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 11-13-2000, 06:31 PM
Senior Chief

If you do go through with the LS1 swap, please leave it painted black and not Pontiac Blue Metallic. Nothing looks worse than a Chevy or Corporate engine trying to be disguised by painting it in Pontiac blue.

------------------
Bob Kazian
Greer, SC
bobgoat67@aol.com

Old 11-13-2000, 06:52 PM

Well, the LS1 is not painted at all. All natural aluminum.

2nd, don't tell the guys at MTI in Houston, www.morganmotorsports.com or ARE Racing in Canada that these engines can't be built to go.

Some guys who just installed a cam into a stock engine, are turning in the neighborhood of 360rwhp. That would be over 400 at the crank.

Dave, the heads won't warp. As any of the people above about these engines.

Old 11-13-2000, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YO Mrgto,Why would anyone on a low budget spend all the time and money to reto-fit a modern puter controlled USED motor into an old car when the can get more HP per $$$$ staying with the older carb setups???

I have made a living for 20yrs. wrenching for as an ase master tech,state DOE certified tech,w/many other tech puter certs.

My main point to the mans ?? is, if he doesnt have the proper diagnostic tools and knowledge,he will be over his head at the most minor drive-ability problem..

Most ECM controlled cars are reliable,I agree,but to the average back yard mech. I cannot truthfully recommend he do it,especially if hes on a limited budget !! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

ANYMOTOR can be made to run, example-->
Brigs@straton lawn mower engine in a JR dragster class,if ya got the $$$$$$...

And it dont have a puter..

Old 11-13-2000, 10:10 PM
Senior Chief

I agree with the guys above I have done numerous engine swaps and they are never easy.You better be a good fabricator or have very deep pockets.If you expect to finish the job.
You can build a traditional Pontiac without E-heads that will rip a LS1 apart. My Iron headed 455 makes 580-600H.P and 600 ft.lbs of torque all day long.
Another point to consider is resale value who wants a Bas#%*d engine in their classic pontiac GTO I bet not very many people.
The LS1 will NEVER make the torque that a Pontiac will.
I could understand a 400-455 swap in a late model T/A thats cool. But not the other way around.
However it is your car so do what you want dude. Good Luck

------------------

Old 11-18-2000, 01:22 AM

I've also been thinking about a late model engine in a classic vehicle. My idea was a Z06 Corvette engine in a 36' Pontiac Coupe. The car isn't super rare or anything so totally customizing it wouldn't be unforgiveable. I wanted to use an interior scheme from a late model luxury car, custom paint job etc. Basically the power of a late model 'Vette, comfort of a Mercedes, and the looks of a 36' Pontiac.

I guess it all depends on what you want to do with the car. If you want to race, stick with the 455, if you want to cruise, and do something different then go with the LS1 if it interests you, but know the extra effort you'll need to put into it. All the guys have made good points, but in the end it's your car and your choice.

Since the 66' Goat is one of my fav's, I would stick with the true pontiac iron if I was restoring one. But I say do what you want.

[This message has been edited by Maniac (edited 11-18-2000).]

Hell bent
Hell bent for leather
Old 11-18-2000, 04:33 PM
Suspended

An LS-1 isn't a small block Chevy? Please.

Old 11-19-2000, 04:15 AM
Senior Chief

Scott a LS1 is a entirely new engine first developed for use in the corvette.This engine I believe replaced the LT4 In the corvette in 1997.This engine has a deep skirt in the block that kind of resembles a big block mopar the crank sets deep in the block.They also incorperated Powdered metel technology to forge the rods.They also use torque to yeild bolts throughout These bolt's must be thrown away once removed.The valve(I-E-I-E-I-E-I-E) arangement is also completly different than the Traditional Small Block. The horsepower rating is 330 in the vette.This engine has both aluminum block and heads.I believe that a cast iron version now powers V-8 chevy/GMC trucks.This is a completly new design the only thing that it shares with the trditional small block is the displacement.Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 11-19-2000, 11:22 AM
Suspended

OK, fair enough.

But if you want to downgrade from a Pontiac to some form of used engine, why not go out and find a ZR-1, or Mercury Marine, Corvette motor? Or even better yet, a Cadillac Northstar engine.