THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-23-2023, 11:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any Hockey Fans?

How far would you travel to see your team play?

We live in Minnesota and am a MN Wild fan. We have a partial season ticket (we live an hour and 20 minutes away) and usually only go to games on Fri/Sat/Sun.

But my wife and I do love to travel. Prior to this season, we've traveled to Wild games in Chicago, Boston, Nashville and Phoenix on our own.

Back in June, we got notified that the Wild were going to be part of the NHL Global Series in Stockholm, Sweden and the Wild were going to put together a travel package for their fans. We made the decision to go. So I guess my personal record is over 4,000 miles one way....

Just got back on Monday from a week in Stockholm. Had a great time. Attended a Wild practice on Wednesday at the Avicci Arena and attended the games on Saturday and Sunday.

It was a fun trip, great food (tried wild boar, reindeer and bear for the first time), did some museums, the Ice Bar and shopping in addition to the hockey.

The Wild had 270 fans on this trip, so we also got to meet a great group of people that share our passion for the sport. We look forward to future Wild road trips!

Old 11-23-2023, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Travel package by the Team sounds like a class act.

Old 11-23-2023, 12:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hockey fan here. My home is Thunder Bay, Ontario. I have not traveled specifically to watch a game. It is usually a part of a planned trip. I have family close enough to Toronto that I have watched games there in the past. Usually for special occasions. Not so much any more because I find that venue ridiculously expensive. I have gone to Winnipeg, 8 hours away.
I winter in the Phoenix East Valley area and have watched lots of 'Yotes games. 1.5 to 2 hours away in Glendale. Haven't been since covid as it is still around I am still a bit antsy about big crowds.
We do shopping trips to Minneapolis, and frequently fly from there to vacation destinations. I pick up Wild games when I can.
Good for you for traveling across the pond to watch, I assume, your favourite team. I would be hard pressed to convince my wife who is not a sports fan.

66 Chevy II 461 Pontiac in AZ
Old 11-23-2023, 01:02 PM
Senior Chief

Sounds like an awesome experience!

Old 11-23-2023, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Let's go Blues!!!

That sounds like an amazing experience! I live near St. Louis. Life long Blues fan. My daughter lives in Denver. We attend some games there. Plan trips based on Blues Avs games. We were just there when the Blues won 8-2! Didn't expect that! Hockey is the best sport IMHO!

Old 11-23-2023, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big Bruins fan here. My Brother actually works for them. I'm about 45 minutes from the Garden. Unfortunately I don't go to as many games as I'd like

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-23-2023, 04:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Canucks fan here, sometimes, LOL. Sounds like an amazing holiday to do that. Approx 5 hours away to the Rogers Place where Canucks play.
Tickets have gotten expensive as well. We can usually buy tickets for LA or Vega game or similar and include flights for what it would cost us to go to a home game.

Old 11-23-2023, 06:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Winnipeg Jets fair-weather fan here...love the wild

You should jump over the border here if you like to travel - so cheap for you...hockey town too

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 11-23-2023, 07:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm a casual fan of the Wild, but do enjoy watching high school hockey. The quality of play by both the boys and girls teams here in Minnesota is nothing short of amazing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2023, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Big Bruins fan here. My Brother actually works for them. I'm about 45 minutes from the Garden. Unfortunately I don't go to as many games as I'd like
My wife was working in Boston when we went to see the Wild play at the Garden.

Her apartment was only .75 miles away.

Old 11-24-2023, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingbuzzo View Post
Winnipeg Jets fair-weather fan here...love the wild

You should jump over the border here if you like to travel - so cheap for you...hockey town too
Believe it or not, we can fly to Calgary cheaper than we can fly to Winnipeg....

Also, flying to Nashville, Boston, Chicago and Phoenix are less expensive too.

We were in Winnipeg together when we went to Churchill, Manitoba to see the Polar Bears back in '07. It was hockey season, but no time to go to a game. We stayed at the Fort Garry Hotel on both ends of that trip..

Old 11-24-2023, 11:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
My wife was working in Boston when we went to see the Wild play at the Garden.

Her apartment was only .75 miles away.
Wow she was right in the city!

I'm not a city guy, but I like to visit every now and then. My brother loves it though. It's funny how different we are in that regard. I'm happy with 100 acres and no people around, and he likes a bunch of buildings and tons of people. lol

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-24-2023, 12:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ya flying here is not cheap...must be a supply/demand thing but I thought you meant driving. I drive thru GF, Fargo on to Minne whenver possible - love it down there...so much to do/see

I've never been that far north, must have been an adventure. Did you go on those crazy tundra busses?

Ah the Ft Garry...I used to work in the kitchen back-in-the-day...they say it's haunted...certainly old enough lol

We were in Winnipeg together when we went to Churchill, Manitoba to see the Polar Bears back in '07. It was hockey season, but no time to go to a game. We stayed at the Fort Garry Hotel on both ends of that trip..[/QUOTE]

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 11-24-2023, 03:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Loved it in the good old days.
The 70's
Bobby Orr = The GOAT
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com...bobby-orr.html

Old 11-25-2023, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Wow she was right in the city!
Yeah, it was right there... She's a consultant for higher ed and was working at the community college almost literally across the street from her apartment.

Besides the Wild/Bruins game, I was also out there for a Red Sox game at Fenway, toured Sam Adams (Boston Brewing) and Harpoon, whale watching cruise, duck boat tour. I think I made 3 or 4 trips out there.

Ironically, I was stationed at Ft Devens, MA in 1972 and never saw Boston until my wife worked out there. I landed in Boston and had a bus ride directly to Ft Devens so all I ever saw of Boston was the airport.

Old 11-25-2023, 11:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

kb

Winnipeg for a weekend trip is over an 8 hour drive one way.

Yeah, we did the 'tundra busses - my wife even drove one!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0324.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	623746   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0269.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	623747   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0270.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	623748   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0291.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	623749   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0193.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	623750  

Old 11-25-2023, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Yeah, it was right there... She's a consultant for higher ed and was working at the community college almost literally across the street from her apartment.

Besides the Wild/Bruins game, I was also out there for a Red Sox game at Fenway, toured Sam Adams (Boston Brewing) and Harpoon, whale watching cruise, duck boat tour. I think I made 3 or 4 trips out there.

Ironically, I was stationed at Ft Devens, MA in 1972 and never saw Boston until my wife worked out there. I landed in Boston and had a bus ride directly to Ft Devens so all I ever saw of Boston was the airport.
Ah Devens, I had a Hmmwv out of there.

Yeah Boston has lots to do and see. I enjoy it, but could never live in it.

1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 11-27-2023, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Depends whose driving boss...lol

That's amazing!

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4