Old 02-05-2020, 11:49 AM

Default 65 grand prix sheet metal

hello, I am getting ready to start working on a 65 grand prix that is in need of lower quarter panel patches and lower door patches and I have not been able to find either online. It seems like they make all other years and models???? thanks for any help or leads.

Old 02-05-2020, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Franks Pontiac Parts in Ca. might have some of the things your searching for? Also Pontiac Heaven here in Az. Last suggestion, look at Desert Valley Auto Parts in Az.

1967 Bonneville Brougham 2 dr. hardtop. 1969 AMC Rebel SST wagon-sold
Old 02-06-2020, 02:33 PM

Thanks - I am hoping I can find something a little more local. I am in Maryland. What other years and models share the same quarters and doors?

Old 02-06-2020, 04:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There may be some NOS patch panels floating around, but there's no reproduction stuff available as far as I know. For donor panels, the only other car for sure that shares the same panels would be a 1965 Catalina two door hardtop.

Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 'full' quarter on a 65 GP is unique to that car only. Catalina had a different roof line. A quarter panel from the beltline down would be the same as a Catalina however.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 02-06-2020, 11:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I had to have pieces made for my 65 Grand Prix

Old 02-07-2020, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
The 'full' quarter on a 65 GP is unique to that car only. Catalina had a different roof line. A quarter panel from the beltline down would be the same as a Catalina however.
That's right, I should have said that in my earlier post. A GP has the reverse curve rear window, so the sail panels on each side are different than a Catalina.

If the repairs needed are just patches and not the entire panel, it probably will be simplest just to fabricate them as required.

Old 02-07-2020, 08:28 AM

thanks guys - looks like I will plan to fabricate the bottoms of the quarters and doors. Would there be a certain panel from other models that may have the same or similar bottom rear section of the quarter and/or wheel well arch? I would prefer to start with something similar and work that to fit, verses starting from scratch. How about a door that is easier to find, that would have a similar bottom section to start with? Again thanks for any help.

Old 02-09-2020, 10:10 AM

Cross Canada panels used to make lower quarter panels. Heard there were issues with the wheel opening shape. If you know that going in you could make a checking buck to get the opening right. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2020, 02:39 PM
Senior Chief

There is a man named Robert McCartney who owns McCartney Body and Paint Leonardo MD. You can find him on most car forums and Instagram. I couldn't find his phone number though. Anyway he is a very nice guy who loves to share his knowledge of sheet metal shaping on social media. I don't believe there is any part that he cannot reproduce. If you can reach him he does do the kind of job you are asking for. His work is excellent. I have been involved in metal shaping since 2007 and I am not great at it yet but I have learned that when it comes to metal shaping, anything is possible. I have seen some amazing work and it always inspires me to do better. By the way the 1965 Grand Prix is one of my dream cars. Its the year I was born and my dad had two of them. I hope to someday have one painted Iris Mist. Good luck with your car repairs.

Paul