THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-25-2020, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default SR 4 BOLT BLOCK QUESTION

going thru some of my engines and I uncovered a NOS 4 bolt 400 block and caps. I had forgot about the stamping as I bought it over 35 years ago. it has the typical SR number only on the face of the block. the date is A053 (jan 5 73) has the 400 cast in the side of the block. on the back it is stamped
9799915A ok ive seen them stamped with the ra4 number but never with an A at the end. was this for A body by some chance or does anyone actually know?

Old 02-25-2020, 06:20 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default We've had (five) 9799915 SR blocks with an 'A' suffix. Might even have one here now.

One was installed in a 1969 GTO Ram Air IV car we had for a couple years.

The rest were either bare blocks or shortblocks.

On each one, the complete block casting number was ground off and restamped. Every digit, not just the '5'. On two of them you could still make out the 481988 original casting number.

I recall ALL of them being cast in 1973, but not the specific date codes. I'll have to go thru my pics of blocks on the old computer and see if we kept photos.

I'm not certain what the 'A' means, though. Sorry.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Rocky might know!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-25-2020, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SR Blocks

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2020, 07:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The "A" blocks are Not made from 914 blocks, hence the complete re do on the stamp casting number. I have only ever seen 3 , and all were '73 casting dates.
2 were in 1970 GTO's , one a NOS block..

Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that's how this one is also, all ground and all stamped. I am curious about the A stamping.

Old 02-26-2020, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

So far I have recorded details and/or photos of at least (7) service replacement 9799915 blocks and (5) of them share cast date A063.

Interestingly, (4) of the A063-cast blocks are stamped with an "A" after the part number stamping while (1) is stamped with a "B". Similarly, I have a few 485428 SR 455 blocks that have the "485428" cast in as normal and a stamped "B" follows it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine the significance of the "A" or "B".

I haven't yet recorded one with an A053 cast date. Is there any chance you can post a pic of the casting date, the stamped part number, and the SR stamping on the front of the block? I'd love to add your data to my collection!

Old 02-26-2020, 12:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Thanks, Rocky!!!
Are there going to be any magazines you will be able to write for, besides Don’s?

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 02-26-2020, 12:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Thanks, Rocky!!!
Are there going to be any magazines you will be able to write for, besides Don’s?
I have had a couple of stories in Hemmings Muscle Machines and may have an opportunity for a few more. And I also plan on writing a few more stories for Poncho Perfection, but beyond that, print media has really dried up. That includes Pontiac-related books.

I was fortunate that I launched my website www.PontiacV8.com a couple of years back. I just need to find the time to blog!

Old 02-26-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky Rotella View Post
So far I have recorded details and/or photos of at least (7) service replacement 9799915 blocks and (5) of them share cast date A063.

Interestingly, (4) of the A063-cast blocks are stamped with an "A" after the part number stamping while (1) is stamped with a "B". Similarly, I have a few 485428 SR 455 blocks that have the "485428" cast in as normal and a stamped "B" follows it. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to determine the significance of the "A" or "B".

I haven't yet recorded one with an A053 cast date. Is there any chance you can post a pic of the casting date, the stamped part number, and the SR stamping on the front of the block? I'd love to add your data to my collection!
I should have taken pics of it, it would take quite a bit of work to dig it out again. I sold a ra2 firebird engine to birdbrain on here and it took some digging to get to it. this one was sitting beside it. (only been sitting there for over 35 years). I did record the SR # it is SR86000

Old 02-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
I should have taken pics of it, it would take quite a bit of work to dig it out again. I sold a ra2 firebird engine to birdbrain on here and it took some digging to get to it. this one was sitting beside it. (only been sitting there for over 35 years). I did record the SR # it is SR86000
The SR number helps just as much, so thanks for that.

I wish I could determine the rationale behind the SR8 sequence. The numbers bounce all over the place.

Old 02-26-2020, 10:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ive been asking these questions since the mid 70's. several friends worked at and a couple owned Pontiac dealerships. so far not one person has any idea about the SR #'s. I was told by a service manager years ago they have no tie to any car unless they were supposed to log it when they replaced them under warranty but he said they never did.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe something like a work order number?Rocky,did you ask Nunzi?I think he worked at a dealer in his early years?Tom