Old 01-26-2019, 01:00 AM

Default Just got an ‘85 TA FI Have a question

Picked it up yesterday on the cheap, knowing there was discrepancies, just working out the kinks.

The one that I’ve been struggling with a bit today is the air cleaner assembly. I’m not sure what the original looked like, I only seem to have to bottom, top is MIA, and trying to find the assembly has been like where’s Waldo.

So far what I’ve found seems to be a top with a big box on top of it (noise dampening?). However the only two I found said they’re for a Formula or GTA, is there a difference? Same on the TA? Also the one I have has 4 holes at the bottoms whereas the ones I found have one large hole, does it matter?

The box that’s between the intake duct and the MASS, is this also noise dampening? I found it had a hole sheared from the pulley on the alternator. Is this a thing?

Things are obviously off, I just don’t have a Chinese blueprint to know what it is. I’m working on getting manuals as well as the parts manual.

Or would I just be better off converting to the performance filter sys?

Thanks in advance!!

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 03-24-2020, 06:17 PM

As far as I know, there shouldn’t be a whole lot of difference in the air intake system between a TPI Trans Am, Trans Am GTA and a Formula depending on the year. Up to 89 GM used a mass air flow sensor and 90-92 used a MAP sensor which would have changed the ducting since the MAF is in the air inlet tract and the MAP sensor is in the intake manifold. On a MAF car like yours any tears or leaks in the intake tract will cause it to run very poorly. I don’t know if they still make the cold air intake for these or not. May want to check Summit Racing. SLP used to make them. Unfortunately there isn’t a whole lot made for TPI cars anymore.