Old 01-16-2020, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a shop put it on.The control arms should be boxed,looking into doing it.I supplied the bar and bolts and some sleeves that went inside the control arm to keep from distorting the control arm.If to do it over I would use the RARE lower control arm.Tom

Old 01-16-2020, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 56GMC View Post
Finally got a 1" bar that fits well between the lower control arms. After drilling the holes for the 7/16" bolts made up spacers to ensure the control arms did not collapse when tightening the nuts. Planning to box the arms later when I replace the bushings.

This bar fits the '68 - 72 GM A-bodies - UMI Performance, P/N 4034. Addco also makes a bar for this application: P/N 690. Summit & Jegs carry both brands.

Car handles much better with the 1 1/8" bar in the front along with Bilsteins all around!

Attachment 528905

Attachment 528906

Attachment 528907
Thanks for those pics. I know it's not the way Pontiac did it in the early 60's, but I just love the look of your installation. Compact and clean, out of the way of everything. Very nice. I think I will box the lower arms.

Old 01-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61-63 View Post
Here are the pictures. You can see the square tubing frame bracket I should have made it out of angle iron. On '61/'62 cars the bracket welded to the axle tube is square at the bottom and the sway bar mount mounts to it without any problem but on '63/'64 cars the bottom is angled and you have to weld a piece of triangle shaped plate to it to make it square. The pictures are of a '63 and that plate has been added to that bracket.
That's the bar I put on my 61 10 years ago. Fab Craft, Hardest part was drilling the frame. I also put on the tube type rear arms, all four, with hard bushings and Bilsteins all around. Car rides sweet and straight.