Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 02-14-2020, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Electronics Gurus Please

I've got one for you nerds. I need a power transistor ... original is a Toshiba A968 Y 9H. I think a 2SA968 will work? TO-220 case, PNP.

No go at Allied, or DigiKey. See some similar things on ebay ... hear there are lots of fakes.

I can't find a direct cross reference to a current, name brand, easy to buy equivalent.

Trying to repair an old 1988 Pioneer Tuner/Amp

Old 02-14-2020, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm far from a guru but wouldn't worry too much about counterfeit vintage parts... not much money to be made by criminals in low-volume parts!

If it were me, I'd just go with the closest available... for example this one on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1PAIR-OR-2P...-/401500432058

Hopefully the suffix is a date code and any 2SA968 will work.

If you need to locate an equivalent, you may need to provide a schematic for a guru. Do you have one?

The Following User Says Thank You to Shiny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 02:06 PM

Mouser is another big electronics supply house, you could try there. I saw some on Ebay as well, but then also read an older post on an electronics forum that mentioned the possibility of fakes. This discussion suggests a couple newer transistors that are apparently compatible replacements: https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/part...8-2sa2238.html

The Following User Says Thank You to Stuart For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you gentlemen.

I was looking at that very pair on ebay myself. Probably close enough.

After digging a little farther I find that both the output transistors on that channel are also toast. Along with various resistors associated.

Not sure that this project is going to be worth the trouble.

Weird when you look back at 1988 and think, hey that wasn't that long ago ... and you discover everything is obsolete

Old 02-14-2020, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Weird when you look back at 1988 and think, hey that wasn't that long ago ...
It's funny how 32 years doesn't seem like a long time anymore.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:25 AM
Senior Chief

I would contact the Toshiba rep through this form. https://www.toshiba.com/taec/support/techquestions/ Fill it out and ask for samples of the A968 Y 9H transistor. When I working in the electronics industry it was common for reps to provide samples. Your other option is to attend a ham radio fest and look around for the transistors you need.

Also since you are going to replace a single channel power transistor I would replace the other channel as well with the same part number just to be safe. Get two identical power transistors.

Good Luck,
bt

Old 02-15-2020, 05:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I've read some stuff about power transistor matching being important... the pre-amp and power amp need to be matched.

At this point, I'd be about $50 and several hours to fix the stuff I've found. What's bothering me is I get nothing out of the head phone jack which should be before any of the power amp circuitry ... I think. FM tuner scans but doesn't find anything.

I can buy a functioning unit for $50 on ebay.

Damn this weird urge to fix old things.

Old 02-15-2020, 07:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Damn this weird urge to fix old things.
Think of it as just being the dominate part of your DNA.