Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM

I have a 73 catalina 2 dr. I KNOW I've seen one of these big cars with a dual exhaust system from the factory.. however, the local parts places don't show a dual exhaust setup on any of these cars.. is this true? If not, anyone know where I might be able to find prebent exhaust parts for my catalina for a dual exhaust setup? I'm considering installing some headers which I have already, but I can't afford a custom exhaust system to be built just yet.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2004, 05:58 PM

I have a 73 catalina 2 dr. I KNOW I've seen one of these big cars with a dual exhaust system from the factory.. however, the local parts places don't show a dual exhaust setup on any of these cars.. is this true? If not, anyone know where I might be able to find prebent exhaust parts for my catalina for a dual exhaust setup? I'm considering installing some headers which I have already, but I can't afford a custom exhaust system to be built just yet.

Thanks

Old 04-18-2004, 09:12 PM

Doesn't our sponsor sell these?

Old 04-19-2004, 10:10 AM
Suspended

first year of convertors, no factory dual exhaust if you mean before the convertor. Also, crossmember has no provision for dual pipes, but you can dual it out after the convertor.

Old 04-19-2004, 05:13 PM

actually, my car was never equipped with a converter and the crossmember DOES have provisions for duals.. I'll grab some pics later this week if anyone is interested in seeing this. There was never a smog pump of any kind on this car as I ahve every document on it from 18000 miles from the original owner. Was originally a 2 bbl which I still have all of the original parts from this car.

Actually, if there are any 72 and older full size cars with about the same undercarriage setup that had a dual exhaust setup, that info would be helpful.

And I am fully aware that this site's sponsor sells full on pre-bent exhaust systems.. but as I said, I'm on a pretty tight budget and a jobber exhaust part will be ALOT cheaper for me right now untill I can purchase a 3" system from this site's sponsor.

Thanks for any other info!

Old 04-22-2004, 07:29 PM

'75 was first year for catalytic converter and single exhaust. '73 from factory had either single or dual exhaust depending on engine and options ordered. Mine had single originally. One or two times I had duals custom made in a shop with a pipe bender. More recently I made my own system with a syncnronizing X crossover out of elbows and pieces of pipe and some welding. Tailpipes were still custom bent to fit though.
Mike

Old 04-27-2004, 02:50 PM

Yeah... thanks for the info Mike. I just got word from PY that they do not make any exhaust parts to fit my car.. .. So.. custom it is.. time to go shopping.. what's the best place to get pipe? and elbows? preferably 3" maybe? Thanks guys for the help and info..
Jamie

Old 04-27-2004, 06:20 PM

You might try Ames. Their book claims complete dual systems for big cars from $339.00.

Old 04-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My car has the dual crossmember and I had a muffler shop do my exh .what headers did you buy?I am using the hedmann shorty's and love them!

2017, 74 firebird -3600 lbs (all bests) 1.33 60 ft, 6.314@108.39 9.950@134.32
M/T 275/60 ET SS Drag Radial

2023,(Pontiac 505) 1.27 60 ft, 5.97@112.86, 9.48@139.31.... 275/60 Radial Pro's
Old 04-27-2004, 07:13 PM

Honestly not too sure what brand of headers I ahve.. bought them used from a guy who had them for maybe 10-15 years. I was checking them and measuring them the other day though and they will fit my car perfectly.. I think he said maybe they were for an old GP or something. I forgot all about Ames. going to have to find my catalog.. i had them send me one since I didn't want to waste all that ink.. lol.. Thanks for the info though.. really wish I had a welder.. I'd just buy my own pipes.. make some measurments and have a shop bend some tubing.. too bad you couldn't get 3" mandrel bent circles like something like a "make your own header" kit. Anyways.. i may just have to spring for flatbed service and have it hauled to the exhaust shop.. ..

Old 06-25-2004, 05:47 PM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!

70-81 Firebird headers are nearly a bolt-on for the car. The only minor change you have to make is in the shift linkage-you grind the weld out and rotate the linkage arm 180 degrees and re-weld. The shift pattern is not changed.

Your car should have a "dual hump" crossmember. If so, the headers and header mufflers clear easily, and a muffler shop will have a card to bend the tailpipes.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts