Old 06-16-2004, 03:31 AM

Has anyone ever taken out their back window and re-sealed it themselves? Can you use a more modern window seal or do you need to follow the specific instructions in the repair manual using spacers and sealent? I called a glass place today and they wanted $140 to take out the window and put it back in again. And then they said there is no guarantee it won't break when they try to take it out, and they are not responsible if it does! Wow, can you imagine if everyone ran their business that way?! Anyway, hoping someone has done this themselves. Thanks

Old 06-16-2004, 03:31 AM

Has anyone ever taken out their back window and re-sealed it themselves? Can you use a more modern window seal or do you need to follow the specific instructions in the repair manual using spacers and sealent? I called a glass place today and they wanted $140 to take out the window and put it back in again. And then they said there is no guarantee it won't break when they try to take it out, and they are not responsible if it does! Wow, can you imagine if everyone ran their business that way?! Anyway, hoping someone has done this themselves. Thanks

Old 06-16-2004, 05:22 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have had both windshield and rear window out of my car when I restored it. I put them back in using a windshield kit I purchased from Advance Auto Parts. It is a very sticky thick rubber bead.

Removing glass can be done, take your time and have a friend help lift it out.

You can use piano wire to cut through the old seal to get the window loose. Search here on PY forums, there are a few posts out there that discuss removing glass.

I have also found that WD-40 seems to dissolve the old sealer and it made it easier for me to remove the glass. Got a little messy but nothing that can't be cleaned.

The glass channel must be thoroughly cleaned out of all the old adhesive before reinstalling. You can also check for any rust damage while it is out as this is a frequent cause of window leaks.

When installing the rubber bead, start in the middle of the bottom of the window and work your way around the channel. Make sure to close any gap where the bead meets itself.

Lay the glass back in and use even hand pressure to ensure the seal makes a tight bond to the glass.
Don

My 70 Judge Restoration documented at: http://thejudge.dyndns-home.com:8080/
Old 06-16-2004, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey A1, still waiting ???

Old 06-16-2004, 05:58 PM

Thanks Don.

Old 06-17-2004, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may find when you take it apart that there are rot holes around the bottom of the glass.