Old 12-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

MUSLCUH, not that I have seen. I actually ended up re zinc plating the ends on my originals that appear to be in decent shape.

Old 12-18-2019, 01:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have one with out the band - I think I got it from Ames a few years ago? It's got some kind of a fabric wrap on it as opposed to being rubber like the originals. I bet Napa or a hydraulic shop could make you one from scratch.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3901.jpg
Views:	423
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	527009  

'95 Comp T/A #6 M6 - bone stock (pics)
Old 12-18-2019, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdoro 68 View Post
I have one with out the band - I think I got it from Ames a few years ago? It's got some kind of a fabric wrap on it as opposed to being rubber like the originals. I bet Napa or a hydraulic shop could make you one from scratch.

That’s exactly where I went. They made me a hose without that god awful band. They used my ends.....and it looks great. When I see that hose with the band...I cringe....

Old 12-19-2019, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They were able to use your original ends? Even though they were already crimped?

I'll have to keep that in mind in case my old ones leak.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
...When I see that hose with the band...I cringe....
I have a correct appearing PS high pressure hose for my '67, but it's sitting in a box on a shelf in my shop along with most of the other parts needed to correct things folks might find cringeworthy (radiator, distributor, alternator, starter, front brakes, master cylinder, belts, front sway bar, front seat piping, antenna, rear springs, exhaust system) and that deviate from the build sheet (wire wheel covers, antenna, front seat piping, steering wheel, AM radio). I drive my cars a lot, and although sometimes I make changes in the interest of correctness, I do so only to please my sensibilities, and even then, I typically only do so when I have to repair/replace something in that particular area. Sometimes I go in the opposite direction when making a repair for the sake of of reliability/performance...for example, I've had bad luck with the reproduction fan belts and so I use modern replacements. I found that having to make these sorts of compromises reduced my desire for make things appear perfectly correct.

Old 12-20-2019, 05:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

^^^^^^^^^^^^ Iam by no means ..a spot weld counter....and don’t care if you have repop emblems .....but that hose doesn’t go. I couldn’t believe when the parts guy handed me that banded hose.....I said ,you don’t have something better than this ? My hoses don’t have GM numbers....just saying..And you got the correct hose clamps...a nice decal on the shroud...and a very nice engine bay...blows mine away...

Last edited by MUSLCAH; 12-20-2019 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
They were able to use your original ends? Even though they were already crimped?

I'll have to keep that in mind in case my old ones leak.
Put it this way.....I gave him my leaky PS Hose....and said can you make it look like the original....He said yup.....and I’ll use your ends....I said perfect....see you tomorrow.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:14 PM
Senior Chief

New Years resolution: get rid of banded PS hose.

Old 12-20-2019, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by will slow gto View Post
New Years resolution: get rid of banded PS hose.
That will ensure the hose stays put. 😜

Old 12-21-2019, 12:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
That will ensure the hose stays put. 😜
Lol.....you’ll be changing it.....to match those correct hose clamps...who you kidding.....

Old 12-21-2019, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What's the opinion on the spring heater hose clamps? I guess they must have worked originally ... but who knows how good the repops are.

Old 12-21-2019, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
What's the opinion on the spring heater hose clamps? I guess they must have worked originally ... but who knows how good the repops are.
They work fine, but are a bear to install unless you have the correct type of hose clamp pliers. The spring radiator hose clamps are even worse for installation.

Old 12-21-2019, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Were they using all tower clamps by 68 or were spring clamps still used in some locations?

Old 12-21-2019, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think they were tower clamps in 68. At least thats what I found and installed in my car.

On the power steering hose, that was a later update where they installed a restrictor to slow the pump down a fuzz. I orderer the early 70's chev truck hose. I can look it up.
Its the same hose, but without the restrictor & retaining band. Its the same part Ames is selling I believe.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA