Suspension TECH Including Brakes, Wheels and tires

Old 01-06-2020, 11:12 AM

Default Rack and pinion

Hello everyone. Wanting to see if anyone had Rack and pinion in their etc. 67-69 Firebird, and if so what do you think about it ? Looking for some reviews. And if so what brand. Thanks. Jerry

Old 02-01-2020, 10:48 PM
Suspended

Rack n pinion on a car with it's linkage under compression is a bad idea in my book...

Old 02-02-2020, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen retrofit R&P systems for Birds and A-bodies and I understand your desire to upgrade, but I'm seeing now the availabilty of well made, precise steering boxes with close ratios and modern steering feel. Much easier. But if rack and pinion is what you are doing then please keep us informed, I'd love to see the end result.

Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Depends on if you're talking stock subframe or aftermarket subframe.

Without going in to a lot of details, a R&P setup on a first gen bird with a factory subframe isn't going to do much for you in the handling department. The packaging doesn't allow for proper steering angles and as a result you end up with a ton of bump steer. What you may gain in feel you lose in actual handling capabilities.

For about the same cost, you can get into a new steering box that will get you about 90% of the way to the feel of a modern R&P setup. Check out Lee Power Steering and Turn 1 for the higher end stuff. I just put a Lares 974 in my 69 bird and I'm pretty happy with it.

The above changes if you're talking about an aftermarket subframe like the DSE unit that is designed around a front steer system with a rack in it.

Old 02-05-2020, 11:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

as stated - I looked at this for the Lemans and realized that the Turn One box and Savitske Stage 1 kit would be most effective.

R/P retrofits leave a lot to be desired here.

Old 02-06-2020, 12:15 AM

A aftermarket R&P will not work in a 69 bird with conventional Pontiac power. Installed one in my 69 400 vert and lost 25 percent steering radius. Removed unit and had my stock box upgraded. Very happy. Just wish I had this info prior to spending large $ for nothing.

Old 02-06-2020, 01:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I seem to recall some folks doing a retro fit R&P using late model Grand Am racks... might take a look into that.