Old 04-30-2014, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Tire interference & not enough offset--how to fix??

Hello,

I just mounted a set of 275/60-15 drag radials on a set of Wheel Vintiques 15"x8" Rally II wheels that have the 4.5" backspacing and checked how they fit and the results are not good . Using a straightedge to see what clearance I will have, there is 1 1/2" clearance from the inner sidewall to frame, but 0 to 1/8" clearance from the outer sidewall to the inner lip of the quarter panels.

I have rear disc brakes and can see that the brake rotor is probably 1/8" to 3/16" thicker than a brake drum, so that certainly is making things worse, but even if I had stock rear brakes I think things would be too close for comfort.

I've read other posts where people mention the WV wheels should have more backspace, and in my case the wheels I have are the ones with the most backspace they have available. I think I would need 5.25" backspace to give me 3/4" clearance on each side and center the tire in the wheel well.

I emailed Wheel Vintiques as well as Specialty Wheel who both sell 15"x8" Rally II wheels in 4.5" backspace, to see if they could make me a pair of wheels with more backspace, but neither got back to me.

Any suggestions on how to resolve this? Anyone know of a company that can make me a pair of Rally II wheels with the backspace I want? I don't need them painted as I will do that myself, I just want the backspace changed. I plan to do some drag racing at some point and really want the ability to run the 275's without issues.

Thanks!

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-30-2014, 07:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you go to a 50 series tire will that give you the clearance you need?

Old 04-30-2014, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe, but my guess is no. That would also mean the tire height won't match the front, and my choice of tire brands gets more limited.

I've been doing some Googling (is that even a word??) and there does appear to be some specialty wheel shops online that advertise they can take a wheel apart and change offset and/or put a wider/narrower hoop on depending on what you want.

Would love to hear if anyone has had this done and how satisfied they were. I realize this is probably not a cheap option but I *want* to run 15" rally II's and am willing to pay to get the fit correct.

If this is the best choice I will also have to investigate whether it makes more sense to buy some used stock 15"x6" wheels and just have new 8" hoops put on at the offset I want, compared to taking the "new" 15"x8" wheels I currently have and have them cut apart and welded back together (if that is even an option).

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 04-30-2014, 08:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wheel Vintiques can make a custom set - but most likely will be very slow to get them done. You could have Summit order you a custom set - they probably will get a response back from WV faster than you will - and you'll probably get the wheels faster too.

Old 04-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmm, I didn't know that was an option, I will look into that. Thanks!

Old 05-01-2014, 04:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Also try http://www.thewheelsmith.net/CustomW...cessories.html

Old 05-10-2014, 05:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

why not rolled the outer lips with a bat, unless you want to keep the trims...

Old 05-10-2014, 07:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess is time to narrow the rear!

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 05-10-2014, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishin2Deep4U View Post
I guess is time to narrow the rear!

Dave
Did that on one of my cars to get a precise fit to tuck in some wide tires, the wheels couldn't be modified so that was my only option.

Much better to do that than to modify the fender lips or try using a lower profile tire as a bandaid.

Shouldn't be too difficult to find a shop to build you a pair with the correct backspace, providing them with some nice Rally II wheels (less desirable 15X6" size) so they can harvest the centers is a good idea.

Try giving Bear Metal Kustoms a call, they own the Early Wheel Company and should be able to help you.

http://www.bearmetalkustoms.com

Old 05-10-2014, 10:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Why not use a set of factory set of 15 x 7 's
A 275/60/15 fits well on a 7" wheel and fits no problem in a 70 wheelwell.

Old 05-11-2014, 06:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Modding a narrow wheel seems easiest.

In my case, I am going to narrow the 8.5" rear just to increase my wheel options.

Dave

Fishing guide in the Washington state for Salmon, Steelhead and Sturgeon. Fish-On!
Old 06-17-2014, 10:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Wheel Vintiques can make a custom set - but most likely will be very slow to get them done. You could have Summit order you a custom set - they probably will get a response back from WV faster than you will - and you'll probably get the wheels faster too.
Hi Champ,

Just wanted to thank you for your suggestion. I emailed Wheel Vintiques twice asking if they could make me a pair of wheels in a custom backspace and they never responded. Last week I called Summit and asked if they could get me a set and they called WV to check and were told yes. All I had to do is pay for their standard 15x8 wheel at regular prices + $20 extra for a custom backspace. I ordered them with a 5 1/4" backspace, and with my disc brakes and a 275/60-15 tire that will give me 3/4" clearance on each side of the sidewall.

Delivery is supposed to be 4-6 weeks. Hopefully there are no issues, and I will update this thread when I get them.

Thanks again!

Old 12-22-2019, 01:17 PM

Send a message via MSN to patox

Incredibly old post.. but have they solved your problem?
I'm kind of in the same situation here... but my problem seem to be inner clearance for the brake caliper...

Old 12-22-2019, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Same boat here as well. I have some 295 60 15's I want to run.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I had the 275/60/15 drag radials on my 1969 Judge clone and raced it. had wv 15x10 ralley 2's and loved em. looked very cool! got a lot of comments on them as to how wide and where did I get them.

had a moser rear with drum brakes, no issues there, but I did have to trim the quarter panel lip a bunch to clear there. didn't bother me a bit to do that. trimmed the trim piece right along with it. you will have to get inventive with small screws to hold the trim piece on however.

Old 01-01-2020, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default found the pic with the set up

15x10 WV R2'S

275/60/15 drag radials, tight fit but perfect to me at the time.

fun video of my first time out with it. ugly wagon had a supercharger and such, gave him a good run and even got the holeshot on him. love racin' !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U_oxnAZaoE

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:59 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrennie View Post
I've read other posts where people mention the WV wheels should have more backspace, and in my case the wheels I have are the ones with the most backspace they have available. I think I would need 5.25" backspace to give me 3/4" clearance on each side and center the tire in the wheel well.
3/4" of clearance between the outer tire and the wheel arch is way more than is actually necessary. 3/16" to 1/4" is really all you need. I can't even fit the tip of my pinky between the tire and wheel arch on my BMW track car, and it does not rub at all even during high-G cornering on R-comp race tires at the track.

Keep in mind that as backspacing increases, you may encounter clearance issues between the brake caliper & wheel, depending on your setup. Someone in another thread is having this type of clearance issue using a WV 15x8" steelie with 5.00" backspace.

Also, I do not recommend using wider wheels on the front than the rear.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 01-04-2020, 04:48 PM

Send a message via MSN to patox

I believe I'm that one having those issues..
What might happen using the 15x8 upfront and 15x7 in the rears.. even if I use the wider tires on the rear?