Old 03-15-2019, 06:43 AM
Senior Chief

Default Mecome auctions 66 2+2 vert

My dream car is coming up this weekend , I can't do anything at the moment but in the future this is what I want as my dream Pontiac to see me out.
So my friends this car looks like a high end car , at NR.,
What do you think it will sell for ? , I guess it will be 35 to 50k ,
Less than 35k sight unseen might be a bargain, ??
John L.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 03-15-2019, 02:11 PM

Link to auction: https://www.mecum.com/lots/AZ0319-36...2-convertible/

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1966 2+2.jpg
Views:	957
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	508064  

Old 03-15-2019, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I followed the link and it said Sold at the top. Wonder what it brought. As a long time 66 2+2 convertible owner, I am tempted to pick it apart here but I won't. It would be a very long post. Suffice to say that car should be represented as a "custom" and not a restoration. There is enough content missing and significantly altered to consider it a restoration would be stretching the term. IMO. I would think someone got hurt at over 35K for that one.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I followed the link and it said Sold at the top. Wonder what it brought. As a long time 66 2+2 convertible owner, I am tempted to pick it apart here but I won't. It would be a very long post. Suffice to say that car should be represented as a "custom" and not a restoration. There is enough content missing and significantly altered to consider it a restoration would be stretching the term. IMO. I would think someone got hurt at over 35K for that one.
$19,800
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-03-15 at 6.00.22 PM.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	508078  

Old 03-15-2019, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you for that information. At 19.8K, they may have a decent car there to work with or just enjoy the way it is. It would take a considerable amount of $$ to return it to stock complete appearance, if that was the plan. Re-doing the entire interior would be a costly start. If the engine was incorrect, and it looks like it may be, that would probably be a show stopper. The very first thing I would do is verify it's actually a 2+2. They had their own specific style number for 66, so very easy to do with the cowl tag. It has the quarter louvers and "Pontiac" on the right side of the dash, but there are so many missing parts, it still could be a put together car.

Old 03-15-2019, 06:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think for 20K it would be a nice driver.Tom

Old 03-15-2019, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree. The weird triple color combination isn't for me. But with the top down and boot on, and at a local show where people wouldn't notice all the missing stuff and the very different interior patterns, it would be fine. They are very attractive cars. I loved mine. Had it 19 years. Body and paint look very nice in the pics. Fit looks OK. A really nice correct 4 BBL. convertible would probably be at least 35K like the OP said. 15K gives you allot of working room. If is is really a 421 car with the wrong air cleaner and valve covers, it would be an even better deal. But my guess is that is not the case. There were no decent engine pics to tell what it was.

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-15-2019 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-15-2019, 09:51 PM

Just because I can't tell, what are all the missing parts? The only thing I can see is the cigarette lighter.

Old 03-15-2019, 10:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again, not dramatic at 20K, but a bigger deal at 35K or more. The hood and deck lid are missing 2+2 emblems. So either they are not original to the car or the holes were bondo'd up or welded up. There should be a 421 stand-up emblem on the core support , left side. I don't see the holes for it so probably not the original upper pan or not originally a 421 car which was standard in all 2+2's. The interior door panels had several 3/4"-1" wide mylar silver strips running both vertically and horizontally on them. The seat pattern is more like a 1967 bucket. The 2+2's had a specific interior seat pattern narrow V embossed pattern facing themselves. These details are what made a 2+2 different from a Catalina/Ventura/StarChief/Grand Prix/Bonneville. So what we have here is a conglomeration of styles, what I would call a custom. Nothing wrong with that. Especially at that price. I think it's possible the 2+2 specific lower body trim may also be missing from the lower door forward. It's supposed to continue forward to the front fender. It's interesting how the pictures are taken from what I call "Batman" angles. If you ever watched the old Batman TV show from the 1960's. Look at how every scene was filmed. They were always shot at weird angles that gave them a cartoon effect. They did that on purpose. I notice many of the Mecum Cars, especially the average to not so good cars are shot the same way. You can look at 40 pictures and not see much. All shot from weird angles that show very little or zoom in on some meaningless part. This car was shot that way. One very poor dark picture of the engine compartment. None of the trunk. But many shots of that awful brown interior. Super close-up of the marginal 421 emblem, super close-up of a marginal looking 8-lug. You get the idea. I have to say it again. For 20K, it's a nice car. For 35K, I would be crying.

Old 03-29-2019, 05:53 AM
Senior Chief

I will keep this thread going as it is really a learning experience for me and I admit I have a lot to learn , the red 2+2 vert I mentioned at the 1st post , all I noted was the badges were missing and the interiour was wrong, mgarblik, your knoladge is priceless and the opinion from the community is taken.

I love the full size pontiac and this love affair has me one eyed to the 2+2, the 66 ,
I think I can say there is not a running example downunder..?

Now at Huston Mecom is another 66 , this looks like a high end car, it has the paperwork and by my limited experance will be a top doller seller.
Please give me you feedback.

I probably will not buy a 2+2 at one these auctions as I would prefer to buy from the advice and contacts from this fantastic forum I have been an active member for many years.
For what seemed like years I watched a black 2+2 vert on e-bay for 99k and said if I won the jackpot that car was mine , I gave up on that idea as an over priced example ,of ,there is one born every day,
Today I am living in Thailand and return to OZ next month for work , I sold my 67 Bonneville last september , (which I owned for 16 years ) I miss the classic car scene , on my return, this will make me more determend to get a 2+2 as I am turning 60 next month, I know this next car will be my last classic full size Pontiac.
John L.

Old 03-29-2019, 06:30 AM
Senior Chief

I just went back to to Mecom Houston site to look at it again and it has disappeared, maybe sold before auction ?
The 66 was there a few days ago.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Appreciate the kind words. You have made it clear a 66 2+2 is the car you want, and at 60 years old, the time is right. I owned mine for 19 years and it was a wonderful car. This will make you cringe, I imagine. I bought mine from the vice president of a banking chain here locally. He had a large car collection and he purchased the car from the original local owner. It needed some rust repair and a minor restoration but was 100% original and correct. When he found out it would cost nearly $5000.00 to restore, he sold it to me for $1500.00. He had decided it wasn't worth the effort. It was a 66 421 HO convertible 4-speed with 19 factory options. This was in 1980. My point is, the right car is out there, they made a fair amount of them, although far fewer than 1965. I always preferred the more chrisp lines of the 66 vs the 65, but both models have their unique charms. As a 62 Catalina 4-speed owner now, I will say the 66 2+2 is a far different car to drive than the 62. The handling, cornering, braking, overall dynamic feel is night and day different. My 66 2+2, even though a convertible, would run circles around my 62 on a handling course and is much more stable at high speeds. Just a much more pleasurable car to drive. The 62 feels like a "true antique to drive", kind of delicate with a flimsy frame and tons of body flex on corners, super vague steering and so forth. The 66 2+2 felt like a modern car in every way except the touchy power brakes, which you get used to. When you find the car you are looking for, you won't be sorry. My advice for what it's worth is to pay a little more for a 2+2 with a really great body and paint and interior. Those areas are difficult to replicate because of limited parts and reproductions. The mechanical aspects can be dealt with as needed because parts are still pretty available for the driveline. Good luck with your search. I will say among the 17 Pontiac muscle cars I have owned through my life, 2 really stick out as fantastic models to me. My 66 2+2 , and the 70 1/2 Trans Am. The various GTO's , Catalina's, Bonnevilles, 400 Firebirds, and Grand Prix's were all great cars in many ways, but those 2 were really special. Best of luck with your search and if I can help specifically, PM me. Here are a couple pics of the one I owned.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	509168   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	509169   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0004.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	509170   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	509171  

Last edited by mgarblik; 03-29-2019 at 10:13 AM.
Old 03-30-2019, 07:20 AM
Senior Chief

you may have seen the 66 that is in indy this may! blue with white interior and top! I saw this car many times at norwalk! pretty car but the seats had really poor quality reproduction material! It will be interesting to see what it brings! Fred

Old 03-30-2019, 09:54 AM
Senior Chief

you may have seen the 66 that is in indy this may! blue with white interior and top! I saw this car many times at norwalk! pretty car but the seats had really poor quality reproduction material! It will be interesting to see what it brings! Fred

Old 03-30-2019, 10:13 AM

They made 6000 or so in 66, I believe 11,000 in 65. 2+2’s are out there but not in abundance especially 66 model. I have an original car and it is a 421-4 barrel auto, run of the mill 2+2, i put a tripower on it tho. Great car, I added a rear sway bar and new bushings e5c in the factory front sway bar, handles excellent for a 50 plus old car. If you want one now is the time to find one..

Old 03-31-2019, 02:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

There are no production numbers for how many convertibles out of the 6382 that were produced in 66. I have read that anecdotally there may have been only 100 to 150 that were convertibles. Only 42 are listed in the 2+2 registry.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	avatar.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	509288  

Old 03-31-2019, 06:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mecum Indy
https://www.mecum.com/lots/SC0519-37...2-convertible/

Old 03-31-2019, 09:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That looks like a nice car from what I can see in the pics. The SMS seat covers don't look the greatest, but he pattern looks correct. Looks like the material is thin and the embossing isn't near deep enough. Certainly not a show stopper. Underhood looks pretty darn correct. The only tiny thing I saw was the HO 421 is supposed to have a clutch fan. No big deal. Looks like a nice car overall. I would expect around a 45-50K gavel for that one. The production numbers in the auction description are not correct.

Old 04-01-2019, 06:26 AM
Senior Chief

1st up sorry about spelling mistake with Mecum,( bloody ozzy)

That Indy car looks real nice ,old story with top goes down price goes up.

It looks high price car, bit out of my price , but when I have the cash and situation ready I will get serious.

My rough plan is to visit America as my wife has a sister in Evansville Indy, purchase a 2+2 and drive it accross to the west coast for shipping , this will be all dependant on me getting a visa of course.
I will need the help and advice of you fine gentlemen on this great site to find a suitable car that ,at this stage will be 1 of 1 downunder.
regards

John L.

Old 04-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The more time you can give the group on here, the better chance of helping you find a nice car to meet your budget and plans. I have a friend mentioned in several posts who does this for a living. If he had 3-4 month lead time, he could most likely locate 2-3 possible good cars. It's all he does, every day. Scour the internet all over the country, looking for cars. He knows what he is looking for.