Old 12-16-2019, 10:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Engine going back in the chassis

This week I should be putting the running engine back in the chassis (not while it's running) ... it hasn't been there in 35 years.

Kind of a big deal for me

Old 12-16-2019, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Another milestone to check off. Good luck.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 12-16-2019, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
This week I should be putting the running engine back in the chassis (not while it's running) ... it hasn't been there in 35 years.

Kind of a big deal for me
Yep that is a big deal! Post some more pics when installed

Old 12-16-2019, 01:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will definitely post some pics.

I'm hoping before the end of winter I can start it up in place in the frame. Basically just have to get the core support sorted out, exhaust added and power steering hooked up.

I am assuming I should mount the AC related engine components at this point? Will it hurt the AC compressor to be mounted with no oil etc. Clutch not engaged of course.

I want to work out as much routing and installation of engine accessories, plumbing, electrical, etc. before the body parts go on.

Old 12-16-2019, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome! I recall seeing pictures of your engine a while back.
I am sure that will look great & will no doubt be rewarding!!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 12-17-2019, 02:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
This week I should be putting the running engine back in the chassis (not while it's running)
What's the matter...chicken?
Congrats on the milestone.

Old 12-17-2019, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exciting times. Engine & Trans combo would be 1 good way to do it without a radiator in the way.

Old 12-17-2019, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep ... going in engine and trans together, on the rolling chassis with suspension etc all done. Body still off the frame so it should be a cake walk.

Old 12-17-2019, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Engine is back in it's home. Took about 30 minutes.

Big moment, probably around 1981 the last time it was there. I drove this car to high school graduation, carried around my first serious girlfriend, drove it all over the country while I was in the military, it was basically my only constant from 17 to 22 ... and was part of all those things that happen in those years.

Strange set of circumstance that kept all the parts together, sometimes abandoned for years at a time at someone else's garage, barn, yard ... a lot of people besides myself instrumental in making sure the engine, chassis, trans etc. all stayed in the same place. Had a situation in 1983 in the military where I had to go away for four months on a moments notice ... I had to literally abandon the car in the garage of the house I was renting. I was incommunicado and could make no arrangements, the place I was renting was sold while I was gone, the landlord knew a friend of mine, that friend got his farmer Dad to come over and take everything to his barn. I came back not knowing anything that happened until the friend got hold of me and told me where it was ... found everything nicely stored, even the engine block oil soaked, wrapped and stored in a barrel. The guys Dad died before I had a chance to thank him.

That friend still gets a Christmas present from me every year
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-Install-001.jpg
Views:	454
Size:	116.6 KB
ID:	526943   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-Install-003.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	526944   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-Install-004.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	89.9 KB
ID:	526945   Click image for larger version

Name:	Engine-Install-005.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	526946  

Old 12-17-2019, 11:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Unique looking engine dolly...did you fab that?

Old 12-18-2019, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Feel good about that!

Congrats and thanks for sharing all the work along the way.

You gotta be really happy!

Old 12-18-2019, 05:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg, yes that engine dolly/work-stand/test-stand is my own creation. It started out as a simple three wheel work stand, but then I wanted to use it as a test stand ... so I added the supports up to the engine mounts, made it into a four wheel base, added mounts to hold a radiator and a mount to hold the test gauges.

Then I wanted to be able to test the engine with the trans attached, so I added those angled rear supports to replace the rotating rear support.

All the "accessory" mounts are removable so it can easily be converted right back into a simple rotating work stand.

The various empty sockets you see sticking up from the base frame are where the accessory braces and mounts slide in ... it's all slip fit tubing.

After the GTO is done and on the road for a year or so I'll probably be giving all this stuff away. I don't really see another major restoration in my future.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice.

Old 12-19-2019, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jonny,
I hope you don’t the finish the car too soon. I will miss reading all your informative posts....
Looking forward to seeing you marry the body and frame as well as getting started with the paint process.

Old 12-19-2019, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think I've made more progress in the last year than the last 10 ten years combined. It holds your interest better when it starts looking like a car.

And I usually consume more information than I produce

Old 12-20-2019, 12:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

dtaway, have you done anything to the transmission? Never touched mine..works fine but thinking about warming it up a bit with Cliff's book and was curious if you've been down that road.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just finished the Trans a few weeks ago ... bought a kit off ebay recommended by Cliff. Only hiccups were having/wanting to build a work stand for it, and driving in some of the bushings can be iffy without tooling ... I turned up my own tool for doing the tailshaft bushing. But it's doable without the tooling if you are careful.

I know absolutely zero about transmission, have no idea how they work, so I just used the service manual and asked a couple of questions here and got it done. Mostly just requires organization and patients ... but it's not rocket science.

I have no idea if it works other than testing it on the stand. It goes into park, reverse, neutral and the business end turns in all the gears so I am hoping for the best when it comes time to drive it.

They are very complex yet strangely "plug and play" to rebuild ... a few clearances to check but nothing compared to building an engine. There are ways to test several things before final assembly using compressed air.

You should give it a shot, unlike an engine, it's very unlikely you'll do any real damage if you mess something up. I also bought Cliff's book, between that and the manual I had 95% of the information I needed.

Old 12-20-2019, 03:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, I have put off buying the book a few times but I'm sure I will pull the trigger on it eventually. I know nothing about trannys either and that's one reason I'm thinking of doing it.
I had rebuilt several q-jets over the years but it was disassemble, clean, reassemble with a few new parts. The fact is, I did not at all understand how they worked until Cliff's book. I was hoping I would come to the same result with his TH-400 book. De-mystify them if you will.

Old 12-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I still don't know how they work , but at least I know what parts do what now. Kind of a funny deal ... if you put them together right they work. Assuming you are not doing a super performance build their just isn't much tweaking to be done. Everyone seems to have their own little tricks for them. I used an absolutely stock configuration .. figured the upgraded clutch pack parts would be enough combined with a new Hughs very slightly tweaked TC.

I did go with a brass screen type filter ... I was getting buzzing from the pump with a stock filter. Also added a second oring to the suction pipe ... so I'm not sure which cured the buzzing.

I hooked up the vacuum modulator and you can see the driveshaft yoke speeding up and slowing down as you go through the gears .... so at least on the stand it appears to work right.

The Following User Says Thank You to dataway For This Useful Post: