Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-27-2024, 11:06 PM

Default Round port exhaust manifold value

Any idea what's a fair price for a pair of original '71 HO manifolds? They're not mine...the owner says they have some tiny cracks...but otherwise just need cleaned up. Late '70 date codes. $300? $700? I have no feel for what the originals go for. TIA

Old 03-28-2024, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Their cracked buy a set set of RARE's. Also they only have 4 bolts holding them on. By the time you fix them you'll be past the re-pops that seal better with the 5 bolts.

Old 03-28-2024, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I came across a decent set at $300, I'd buy them.

... and I don't have a round port engine.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-29-2024, 10:31 PM
Senior Chief

Well, I've paid $1000 for a pair that were in very good condition with no cracks. But that is only because I'm trying to rebuild my 71 back to almost original condition. Otherwise, I'd use a set of the RARE manifolds. I've also had to send one manifold off to be repaired that cracked when baking the coating on in an oven. That was a nightmare. A good friend owns his own machine shop and is very familiar with welding cast iron of any type (over three decades of experience in automotive machining and welding). I love how Pontiac talked up the cast iron they used back then, but for welding, it's pretty poor material and as we all know, WAY to thin. My friend finally got the repair done to my satisfaction, but he ended up welding in a piece off of a Ford maniold that was thicker. Moral of this story, yes they can be repaired, but it won't be easy or cheap.