Old 02-15-2007, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default '74 SDs with vinyl tops...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1974-...em270090567075

OK, this is like the 5th '74 SD T/A I've seen in the last few months that was originally equipped with a vinyl top (gone on this car now, though). What's up with that?

I don't think I've ever seen a '74 non-SD T/A with a vinyl top (I'm sure there were some). Seems unusual that so many SDs (relatively speaking) had them.

I assume vinyl tops weren't available on '73 T/As...? Can't remember ever seeing one of those.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 02-16-2007, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Critter has one.
His is a nice car.

The 73 Formulas had vinyl tops.
No vinyl top 73 TAs in the Registry.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 02-16-2007, 08:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw an Admiralty Blue 74 400 4-spd T/A with a vinyl top in the mid 80s and almost bought it. There were some wierd things about the car that made me question it's authenticity. Everything looked totally correct, except for the vinyl top and a strip of chrome that ran along the rocker panel on each side. It was the wider piece which I had seen on Firebirds and Formulas, but never on a T/A. The interior all looked correct, the motor was correct, and the only thing out of place was the chrome. I had seen other T/As with vinyl tops, so I knew that was an option.

Mike

Old 02-16-2007, 10:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They're ugly. Don't do it!

1974 was when the vinyl (or cordoba as Pontiac called them) tops really hit their stride. It was a novelty and didn't last long, especially when they aged a few years and started peeling off. Man, those things really look bad at that point.

Anyway, there are a few out there. Many, like this one, were restored without it because the owners couldn't stand them. I put mine back in place because it was so rare to see one with it. It was the motivation for doing this car all along.

Old 02-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
Anyway, there are a few out there. Many, like this one, were restored without it because the owners couldn't stand them. I put mine back in place because it was so rare to see one with it. It was the motivation for doing this car all along.
Critter, your car is very cool. I'm glad you restored it with the vinyl top!

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 02-17-2007, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks. That means a lot to me. The fact that people like the look and the fact that I beat on it at the track is what keeps me going. It's not original or numbers match. It's just a genuine X code car that helps the Pontiac faithful understand what Pontiac was doing at the end when everyone else threw their hands in the air and ran in panic.

Old 02-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by critter
Thanks. That means a lot to me. The fact that people like the look and the fact that I beat on it at the track is what keeps me going. It's not original or numbers match. It's just a genuine X code car that helps the Pontiac faithful understand what Pontiac was doing at the end when everyone else threw their hands in the air and ran in panic.
I hear ya,

Man I hope we can make some passes somewhere this year. I know you are doing the Power tour thing .....but I think it would be interesting...this year.

Nothing is impossible if you break it down into possibilities. It's all a matter of "Want to".
Old 02-18-2007, 11:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It would be fun, wouldn't it Jay? With my recent modifications I'm backing down a bit so you'd probably have me covered with no problem. I suspect the smaller exhaust and air conditioning will slow me down a few tenths. Hard to say without track time.

Yes, I'm afraid the HRPT is my primary focus this year. Our club is the host club for the final stop here in Little Rock and I'm going to long haul as a representative of the club and city. I also hope to be blogging on the club web site and possible the state's largest newspaper site as I go. That should be an interesting project.

Hey, come on over to Arkansas on March 31 and April 1 for our club's annual race/show and shine. We could definately get a few passes in during that one. (Shameful plug for my club's race)

http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org/race/race.html