Old 02-13-2016, 01:46 PM
Suspended

Default Tri Power Restoration Services

I wonder if we could make a sticky on this.
Most people who pick up a tri power need it to be rebuilt correctly including color and plating. I have one now I would like to have done correctly by someone who is known for doing it right. What companies or people out there do this and what was your experience like, and if general prices you spent and what you got for that.
Tri Power restoration Services

Old 02-13-2016, 04:12 PM

Dick Boneske, here on PY.

He did one for my '64 421 HO several years ago.

I supplied both of the end carbs and I bought a '64 GTO center carb from him along with numerous small parts to complete it.

Dick is currently restoring a '59 setup for me, I supplied the front carb and I'm buying the other two carbs from him. All carbs will be show quality plated, not painted or dyed.

His pricing is very fair, look him up.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:07 PM
Suspended

I did PM him back during the change over from PY to Ames, I assume he did not get it, a lot of PM's were not going thru at that time. I waited a while and PM'd him again in early Jan. a couple months ago and again did not receive a reply. Don't know if it went thru, it shows up as sent on my end. I think it would be good to list all restorers here for all to access in the future.

Old 02-13-2016, 06:12 PM

If he doesn't answer your PM then email him from his profile page.

Sometime he's quite busy working on restorations of Pontiacs for his family, but he'll respond.

Dick is the only guy I'll use, his work is top-shelf and reasonably priced in my opinion.

The set of '64 421 carbs he did for me ran flawlessly right out of the box, and that was after nearly 5 years of sitting in the box waiting for me to get the 421 together.

Here's a close-up shot of the set of Tri-Power carbs that Dick replated and restored for me. Dick temporarily mounted them on a '65 intake to adjust the linkage he supplied before sending the completed carbs to me.

Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 PM
Suspended

I don't see Dick's email. Hey Dick, when you see this, PM me or let me know your email, I would like to have 3 carbs redone. If your to busy let me know that, I will find someone else. thanks. john

Old 02-15-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John62 View Post
I don't see Dick's email. Hey Dick, when you see this, PM me or let me know your email, I would like to have 3 carbs redone. If your to busy let me know that, I will find someone else. thanks. john
Find one of his posts and then click on his username, you'll see he has both PMs and emails enabled. His email address is not openly displayed, but you can still email him through the forums.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

From Facebook:

Badger State Chapter 30th All Pontiac & GMC Show
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
June 07, 2014
Show Information: Badger State Chapter - POCI and Bergstrom GM of Oshkosh, WI 30th Annual All Pontiac, Oakland & GMC Show
Saturday June 7th, 2014 10 am to 3 pm rain or shine
355 N Washburn St, Oshkosh, WI
Registration 8 am to 12 pm, registration fee $10, 21 trophy classes
Food, beverage and music with proceeds benefiting Make-A-Wish of Wisconsin
For information contact:
Dick Boneske 920-450-1040 - bocoogto@charter.net

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 02-19-2016, 11:49 AM

MIKE WASSON - Kickapoo IL He is a super nice guy but knows these v well.

http://www.pontiactripower.com/

Old 02-20-2016, 05:08 PM

Default Mike wasson

Mike wasson is the absolute best

Old 02-21-2016, 09:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The legendary Paul Spotts did mine and I'm very happy.
http://www.spottsperformance.com

2016 Chevy SS; Sold
2001 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
2008 Infiniti G35x
Old 02-22-2016, 03:20 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Doran View Post
From Facebook:

Badger State Chapter 30th All Pontiac & GMC Show
Oshkosh, Wisconsin
June 07, 2014
Show Information: Badger State Chapter - POCI and Bergstrom GM of Oshkosh, WI 30th Annual All Pontiac, Oakland & GMC Show
Saturday June 7th, 2014 10 am to 3 pm rain or shine
355 N Washburn St, Oshkosh, WI
Registration 8 am to 12 pm, registration fee $10, 21 trophy classes
Food, beverage and music with proceeds benefiting Make-A-Wish of Wisconsin
For information contact:
Dick Boneske 920-450-1040 - bocoogto@charter.net
Thanks for the direct link to Dick's email. I sent him a email on Sunday to see if he is interested in doing my 3 -65 carbs.

Old 02-08-2020, 07:06 AM
Senior Chief

Thumbs up Last chance for the Tripower before I go EFI. Dick Boneske is their Obiwan Kenobe

The 421 in my wife's 65 GTO and the 65 Tripower setup were all together and running when we bought the car. It's a real 389 4bbl GTO, but we enjoy telling the Royal Bobcat story, and the car is a fine tribute to the top performance modification offered by Royal Pontiac in late 1965.
One immediate tuning problem was the knocking and pinging of the high compression engine. After chasing ever higher octane fuels to resolve the detonation, I found the timing was WAY too far advanced. The 6777 iron heads had been hand ported, and had Comp Cams springs, locks, retainers, and steel roller tipped rocker arms. When I discovered a rod knock, I specced out some upgrades with my local engine builder, including a Comp Cams hydraulic roller setup, RaceTech custom (.035 over) forged aluminum pistons with a slight dish for a 10.1:1 CR, Eagle H-beam rods, billet steel double roller timing set, and a Pertronix Ignitor III billet aluminum distributor. Since the heads had been "worked" I kept those in the mix, but had them machined for Viton valve stem seals, and they have hardened seats.
I had All American Carburetors restore the Tripower, and they did a good job, BUT they didn't make any modifications, and they have never run well with the 421.
So a local GTO owner got a 3x2 EFI system that looks like a Tripower, and he's been very happy with the performance and reliability. They look great, but they cost $8k with all of the supporting equipment.
Enter Mr. Dick Boneske! Knowing I had one last chance to get the Tripower "right", I read about the Tripower setups he had restored and modified for various performance applications, including stroker motors.
I'll be getting them back very soon, and I expect a lot from them. I'll post results soon.

Old 02-08-2020, 01:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

subscribed. 461 stroker in the future for my 66 389 tri-power GTO. Will have to get the carbs properly built. Good info.

Old 02-08-2020, 02:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve provided detailed info on cam, heads, c.i., transmission, etc., which made it easy to calibrate the idle circuit and install appropriate jetting for all three carbs. The previous rebuild had been done fairly recently, and generally looked like very good workmanship, but no mods were made to make this setup work with a 421 engine with several mods, including a roller cam. They did not repair the fuel inlets to the end carbs, which were stretched so badly the brass fittings bottomed against the airhorn, so they could not be clocked to work with factory fuel ones and/or not leak fuel. I installed Time-Sert zinc liners in the 1/8 NPT fuel inlets to fix the problem.

With Steve's information, I was able to do the needed mods, jetting, coloring, rebuild the throttle bases, provide the needed fuel and vacuum pieces for his wife's '65 GTO.

My goal is to rebuild a Tripower so the owner just has to bolt the carbs on the manifold and START 'R UP!! I'm confident Steve and his wife will have large smiles when they hear this sucker run for the first time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8300.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	531423   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8297.jpg
Views:	475
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	531425  

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dick Boneske For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2020, 10:42 PM
Boost Engineer

Can you explain the reason for the modded rear carb arm on the 65 Tri-power Set-up Dick?????

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a stock, OEM rear carb lever. Can you explain what you mean by a”modded rear carb arm?”

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 02-08-2020, 11:48 PM
Boost Engineer

I blew the picture up on my computer vs on my phone and see that the rear arm is truly the stock 65 arm. Optical illusion when I first looked at it. The offset on the arm made it look like the arm had been welded. Sorry for the confusion. Need to look at the computer vs my phone.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Boneske View Post
Steve provided detailed info on cam, heads, c.i., transmission, etc., which made it easy to calibrate the idle circuit and install appropriate jetting for all three carbs. The previous rebuild had been done fairly recently, and generally looked like very good workmanship, but no mods were made to make this setup work with a 421 engine with several mods, including a roller cam. They did not repair the fuel inlets to the end carbs, which were stretched so badly the brass fittings bottomed against the airhorn, so they could not be clocked to work with factory fuel ones and/or not leak fuel. I installed Time-Sert zinc liners in the 1/8 NPT fuel inlets to fix the problem.

With Steve's information, I was able to do the needed mods, jetting, coloring, rebuild the throttle bases, provide the needed fuel and vacuum pieces for his wife's '65 GTO.

My goal is to rebuild a Tripower so the owner just has to bolt the carbs on the manifold and START 'R UP!! I'm confident Steve and his wife will have large smiles when they hear this sucker run for the first time!
In other words, OUR Tripower has been....
BONESKE-FIED!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BONESKE-FIED .jpg
Views:	458
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	531469  

Old 02-23-2020, 05:49 PM
Senior Chief

Arrow

So today is the BIG DAY! I have all 3 "BONESKE-FIED" Rochesters mounted to the intake, with the Cool Carb insulators in place. I had asked for all new fuel lines, and I am REALLY glad I did because the ones I thought were "ok" that came with the car were NOT. So I had a fluted fuel line fitting leak at the center and rear carbs, but that was just me trying not to overtighten. A little more torque applied and no leaks. I haven't adjusted anything, and cold start is great. I think I'm going to have to bring hot idle up a bit, and maybe make the choke flap open at a cooler temp.
I also had the linkage and carbs plated. Mr. Boneske also straightened out the linkage, so now it's pretty AND correct!
Test FLOG happening now. I'll post up results.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200222_170723.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	532817   Click image for larger version

Name:	20200223_124308.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	532818  

Old 02-23-2020, 08:17 PM
Senior Chief

CAR RUNS GREAT!!
Now, I can't say for sure how much quicker and faster it is now than it used to be until I make it to the track. It pulls seemingly harder than ever before. Absolutely ZERO hesitation/bogging or stumble/sputter. ZERO "surging". No smoke of any kind, with the possible exception of Drag Radials smoking the couple of times I got aggressive with the clutch, RPMs and throttle all at the same time! I did a few dead stop launches and WOT runs through the gears, letting up once I was into 4th for a few seconds. There are vast expanses of Federal and State wildlife preserves where I live, so no cross streets, houses, people, etc. Just me, the 421GOAT and some vehicle free stretches of open road! No gasoline fumes, even through the fast/cold engine warm up process.
Absolutely flawless performance from a sensory perspective.
Now the biggest difference that I can positively affirm, because like I said WOT feels amazing and stronger than ever, but I really need time slips to know how much quicker and faster...the biggest difference I can absolutely affirm is driving under ALL conditions other than Wide Open Throttle. I could always feel the engine surging, "missing" (not an ignition miss, but otherwise similar in how it felt) just "not all there" when I'd be driving along. One of the WORST things that used to happen fairly often, especially to my wife, (it's her car) was stuttering and then killing when trying to do a turn from a stop, or turning and driving up the ramp into the garage, or just slowly pulling off from a dead stop. I usually could modulate the gas pedal to compensate. Well NONE of that old, bad behavior! I had to adjust the idle speed at full operating temperature, but I haven't made ANY other adjustments than that.
I'm hoping my wife and I can both go to our local drag strip Tuesday (Mardi Gras) where they will be having Test and Tune, and "bracket racing" with money awarded every hour.
I know when I went from running 13.6s in my Roadrunner to 13.3s, that 3/10ths was not like the clouds parting and Heaven's Host trumpeting my improved times, BUT we're looking to go faster than 12.8s, and the last time we ran at the track we were running a miserable 14 flat, which was WAY slower than what the car should have been running.
There's a local performance shop I've done business with, and they have a chassis dyno, so I'd like to schedule a "checkup" session on the dyno, and coordinate that with Dick Boneske so he can be available for tuning tips once the data rolls in.
I'M VERY VERY HAPPY with the appearance and performance of my Tripower carbs now that they've been BONESKE-FIED!!
GREAT JOB DICK BONESKE!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	BONESKE-FIED .jpg
Views:	438
Size:	119.7 KB
ID:	532826