Old 07-25-2019, 08:22 PM
Senior Chief

Default Can MSD fail intermittently

I have had an MSD 6AL digital for quite some time without a problem. Recently I went to Sniper EFI and changed OEM distributer (76 TA) for an MSD Pro Billet and coil. The OEM was old and loose and needed a rebuild so did the swap (done deal). The car runs extremely crisper and cleaner now although is was solid before. Really though, the swap was not to increase power as it doesn’t, but the seat of the pants feel is real. All wires, sensors etc. well placed and even separately the rpm trigger wire from the coil wires starting immediately after where they leave the MSD. A gremlin though, argh. A couple times now, after a ride, when pulling into my parking lot the car outright died. Bizarre. On top of that, it had to sit before it would fire up. A quiet click only. I thought it was the starter so I replaced the Power Master mini starter with a new one, and same problem. I use shorty headers and starter wrap, and never had a heat sink problem before. Had the starter checked and all okay. Switch power good to. Maybe the dying and the starter problem are related, or not. Can a MSD box intermittently fail or is failure 100 percent only. Has anyone experienced these symptoms, and if so, and solutions. Many thanks.

Old 10-08-2019, 12:40 PM

Yes, MSD boxes can exhibit those symptoms, but, usually those are from a coil that is failing, especially a Blaster series MSD coil.

To correctly test the coil, it has to be at operating temperatures, so, resistance tests are not practical. to properly test, remove the coil from the vehicle, and find a good auto parts store, one that has an off vehicle electrical component tester that tests coils, put the coil on the machine, and let it run, get it up to operating temperature, don't just test for 5 seconds and say it's golden.

Old 10-08-2019, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you using the coil wires to trigger the sniper? I didn't understand that line in your post... If so, you may wanna use the tach output terminal on the MSD. It's a much cleaner signal, your ecu will like it better.