Old 07-18-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default Front lower control arm question

Is there a difference between the GTO lower C/A and the big car--Catalina etc-- one? If so what are the differences? I'm having trouble reassembling the suspension after some changes and and I'm wondering if I may have bought the wrong C/A by mistake. It bolts onto the frame OK but seems too long where it meets the dust shield Thanks for any info.

Old 07-18-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Did you purchase aftermarket lower control arms? Many of the cheaper variants which are copies of the global west arms require disc brakes due to contact issues with the drum backing plate.

There are some disc brake kits that would also have an issue there with the clearance of the lower arm to the dust shield. If that's the case, you would either need to clearance the dust shield, or remove it entirely.

Old 07-18-2019, 09:49 PM
Senior Chief

These are disc brakes, aftermarket single piston. The RHS A arm fits perfectly but the LHS C/A hits the dust shield, I had to remove the shield to make the car drive-able. Everything fitted/worked fine until I installed a pair of drop spindles, then the problem on the LHS. I simply wanted to lower the front a little. Is there any length difference in lower A arms from other GM A bodies? Any measurable difference in the A body 2" drop spindles from various makers of them? Something definitely is wrong but I can't discover what it may be..

Old 07-19-2019, 08:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cutting or ordering front springs is the accepted method for lowering, there are disadvantages to using drop spindles, and the quality of them stink. There have been numerous failures of the drop spindles.

1970 GTO Judge Tribute Pro-Tour Project 535 IA2
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=760624
1971 Trans Am 463, 315cfm E-head Sniper XFlow EFI, TKO600 extreme, 9", GW suspension, Baer brakes, pro tour car
https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ght=procharger
Theme Song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zKAS...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-19-2019, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhfaust View Post
These are disc brakes, aftermarket single piston. The RHS A arm fits perfectly but the LHS C/A hits the dust shield, I had to remove the shield to make the car drive-able. Everything fitted/worked fine until I installed a pair of drop spindles, then the problem on the LHS. I simply wanted to lower the front a little. Is there any length difference in lower A arms from other GM A bodies? Any measurable difference in the A body 2" drop spindles from various makers of them? Something definitely is wrong but I can't discover what it may be..
Yeah that's an issue with using drop spindles. Just like cutting or going to lowering springs, there are positives and negatives about that situation. The re-positioning of the spindle brings suspension bits closer to contact in a lot of places. The difference side to side could actually be in the alignment.

With a lowering spring, or cutting stock springs, while you don't have the suspension clearance issues, you do lose compression travel. That said, the A body cars specifically have tons of travel and for most people, losing 2 inches of it isn't an issue.

If all you've had to do is remove the dust shield to get the required clearance, I'd leave it like it is. I don't run dust shields front or aft on my bird and have never had an issue doing so. I also drive the car on dirt roads for photo ops occasionally.

Old 07-20-2019, 06:01 PM
Senior Chief

One other thing I've discovered since driving the car after the drop spindles installed: The alignment is out of whack, very noticeable on the freeway. With the RHS tire pointing dead ahead the LHS one is turning a fair bit out to the left, this is the same side I'm having the clearance issues with. It was fine before. I think I'm going to have to simply abandon the drop spindle idea altogether and re-install my old ones and order softer/shorter springs from Eaton. Anyone have any experience with these to get close to factory height? The Chinese springs I've got in now raise the car about 2" too high. Thanks.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We put in the springs that are available typically from Rock Auto and the like, and the front end was way up in the air after installing them. It was ridiculous and made me think that the back was bad also because it was way down.
Then we ordered front springs from Coil Spring Specialties and it basically solved the whole problem. The front end looked great and the back end went back into place. I sure was relieved after that. They can make lowering springs for you. Anyways, it was the best 150.00 that we ever spent on the car.

Old 08-24-2019, 01:19 PM
Suspended

I had to grind some material away on the dust shields when I installed my SPC lowers from SC&C...

Last edited by 389; 04-25-2022 at 05:43 PM.