Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2019, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The previous Luhn Performance Dyno testing with a 440 engine years ago made 862 ho at only 5300 rpm but it had an intercooler on it and a carburetor (way too small carb 750 cfm), and the carb was not perfectly dialed in.

It made that HP at less than 6000 rpm, but had Edelbrock heads, and I believe this engine has cast iron barely touched heads. Depending on the Belt Ratio of the Supercharger you can move the Supercharger vs Engine rpm around a bit.

So a rpm number does not mean that much.

I was told that they were going to use a new YSi supercharger that I sent to Mark, years ago. Marks Supercharger Bracket and Pulley/Belt work has always been really good.
He said something about sticking with a 8 rib belt and that is what the pictures showed I believe. We are not talking about a cog belt deal that is 50mm wide driving the supercharger. Just a real "street friendly" Pontiac set-up probably at 6000 rpm or less for best power. The other engine made that 862 HP at only 5300 rpm charlie.
Best torque on that engine was 4800 rpm.

This Engine with the larger supercharger, YSi vs the T-Trim supercharger used on the previous test should be a very happy unit making very low discharge temps to the Vortech Bonnet. Air Distribution to the Sniper EFI should be very good too.

Tom V.

Tom S, you number should be really close but just so I don't pick the same number as you I will bump it up a couple of HP numbers to 834 or 835 and around 750 on the torque. It should be really close for either guess, in my opinion.

I hit Mike Leech's (RIP MIKE) HP numbers with-in a couple of numbers I think 3 times when he was on the dyno.

Other guesses, Guys?
Duration is larger, so it will rpm higher then last time , ill say @ 15-18 psi it will make 910 hp .. i also think the smaller ports will yield more psi with the same pulley.. This will be interesting...

I wish him luck...