Old 04-01-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
The more time you can give the group on here, the better chance of helping you find a nice car to meet your budget and plans. I have a friend mentioned in several posts who does this for a living. If he had 3-4 month lead time, he could most likely locate 2-3 possible good cars. It's all he does, every day. Scour the internet all over the country, looking for cars. He knows what he is looking for.
Thank you mgarblik.
That 66 you owned looked a fine car,
Your advice on a car with good paint and pannel I will take for sure.
My last Bonneville was lost in a paint shop for 12 months,but worth it in the end.
I am handy with brakes,suspenshion and electrical all service works which I do enjoy.
I will contact you via pm in the future about your mate who chases cars.
Thanks again . John

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Old 05-18-2019, 05:29 AM
Senior Chief

The 66 2+2 sold for $77,000 +fees.
Did any body get to this car up close ?
A bit out of my price range , AUD on bit of a free fall against the USD.
Now the time to have that holiday downunder men.
John L.

Old 05-18-2019, 10:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OZZIEVILLE 67 2 door View Post
The 66 2+2 sold for $77,000 +fees.
Did any body get to this car up close ?
A bit out of my price range , AUD on bit of a free fall against the USD.
Now the time to have that holiday downunder men.
John L.

I was there and saw the car up close. Only big issue was the re-pop interior. The pattern was correct, but the thermo seams were flat, meaning they didn't have that little bit of foam between each seam like original has. Didn't look right because of this. I was busy looking at it and forgot to take any pics, but for pics I took the event in general, see below.

I was a little surprise at the price of this and the 67 SS427 Impala, which sold for $132k

http://s710.photobucket.com/user/sco...%20Indy%202019

Old 05-19-2019, 11:38 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
I was there and saw the car up close. Only big issue was the re-pop interior. The pattern was correct, but the thermo seams were flat, meaning they didn't have that little bit of foam between each seam like original has. Didn't look right because of this. I was busy looking at it and forgot to take any pics, but for pics I took the event in general, see below.

I was a little surprise at the price of this and the 67 SS427 Impala, which sold for $132k

http://s710.photobucket.com/user/sco...%20Indy%202019
Thanks for sharing the pics, looks like generally strong results. A PY member and friend sold his 54 Skylark for $155K

Last edited by nmoreilly; 05-19-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 AM
Senior Chief

So with my interest in all 66 2+2 and need to learn the market , Mecome auctions Denver, lot s173(have trouble with link on taptalk)
This 66 burgundy convertible looks good in photos , I wonder if the top was black originally.
There seems something odd but I can't say for sure what it is .
Not buying yet but it will mean a holiday and a road trip to attend the Pontiac must do event's, next year I hope.
My guess is 25 to 30k on this vert ,
What you reckon
John L.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:27 AM
Senior Chief

Link to auction listing:
https://www.mecum.com/lots/DN0719-37...22-convertible
Nice looking car, with a few issues. Upholstery appears to be original, but front seat is split, needs replacing. I agree that the car would look better if the top were black, matching the interior. It likely left the factory with a black top - trim tag would tell. Rally II wheels are incorrect, but I like the look. Tailpipes are incorrect, at very least need to be shorter. Somebody please replace those Pep Boys spark plug wires - yikes!
This is a base model car, but if the car is rust-free and mechanically sound, I think the drop top makes your estimate low.

1965 Catalina 2+2 421 Tri-Power, 4-speed, all original except paint -
AACA Grand National Sr. / POCI Champion - 13.71@104mph 1/4-mile
1958 Bonneville convertible - AACA / POCI survivor awards
1963 Catalina 2-door hardtop - 10.91@124mph 1/4-mile
1933 Pontiac 2-door Sedan street rod project (in progress)
1962 Corvette 327/340hp, all stock
1963 Studebaker Avanti
http://www.1965Pontiac2Plus2.com
http://www.Pontiac2plus2Registry.com
Old 07-12-2019, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, we have a car here that could be made into a really nice example with some work. Certainly a nice car as-is but with some of the missing items and general look to me, the claimed 52K original miles comes into question. Not that it really matters, much. A few observations. 1. Just can't get a handle on the color of the exterior. Every computer is different but on mine, this color appears way too bright and too red to be the original burgundy if that's what it's supposed to be. 2. The OE top was definitely black if it had an OE black boot. 3. The trunk has some minor issues. It is missing all it's cardboard patterned trim which is available. The mat also is the wrong pattern, I think. 4. The trunk jam work is also pretty bad. Very dry spray and just not professionally done. 5. The brake work seems odd and poorly done. Why would someone do a front disc brake conversion and keep the single piston master cylinder? That single piston MC doesn't have enough stroke or reserve reservoir capacity for the massive caliper pistons vs wheel cylinders if there was any type of failure. That entire set-up calls into question the quality of the work throughout the car. 6. There are no pictures of the bottom side of the car, that is concerning. 7. The interior has some flaws that other posters have pointed out. I would add that the steering wheel is just fair. 8. The 15" rally II wheels look weird and out of place on that car to me. Probably became necessary with the disc brake conversion for fitment. But still look funny to me. 9. The engine compartment, well it needs allot to look correct, but can be corrected with some TLC and some new proper parts. Looks like it has an Edelbrock replacement carburetor under the stock air cleaner which is a piece of crap, but can be made decent with some work. Looks like it has an electric choke of some sort hacked-in poorly. 10. Overall, it doesn't present very well which may be a real advantage to a buyer at an auction. That's my top 10 list I guess.

To me, it all boils down to what it sells for. It looks like a very good buy in the 20-25K range tops. If someone thinks it's a top drawer 50K car, I think they have been drinking too much Mecum Kool-Aid .

Old 07-12-2019, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Couple more things I found about this particular car. It is also missing the six stainless steel wheel opening trim pieces around the rear wheel openings. The only exception would be if the car originally had fender skirts and they were thrown away at some point. Those parts are hard to find, I would imagine.

Finally, I found this car in a Hemmings for sale ad. They were asking $27,500 for it. So I imagine if someone would have offered 22-23K cash, it would have sold. I think that's about the market for that one. It will be interesting to see what it brings at auction.

Old 07-13-2019, 01:13 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the replys 65cat and as always mgarblik , the eye you have for detail is amazing. Thanks for the education.
I didn't notice the missing rear wheel trims, they would be hard to track down, then expect them to be freighted and to arrive bent and buckled.
And yes being a convertible the price will be higher than my guess.
JL

Old 07-13-2019, 08:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess you can tell I have been a car show judge many times in the past. I don't nit-pick these cars to be mean or to be some kind of jerk. Most of the 60's cars I have owned and loved have been far than perfect. However, auction cars, especially, Barrett Jackson, and Mecum are universally misrepresented by the auction houses to bilk maximum cash from the buyer. You have to go into these auctions questioning almost everything listed by the auction house. They print and repeat everything the seller says about the car and they do little to no vetting of the accuracy of any of the information provided. They have little disclaimers that give them legal wiggle room if virtually all the information is incorrect. Essentially, the auction house says, "hey, that's what the seller told me and we believed him. We assume no responsibility for any of it being truthful or correct. Sorry about your luck. You had ample time to inspect the car before you purchased it". The auction house can't lose. IMO, a collector car auction is a terrible place to buy an expensive collector car at top dollar. This 2+2, if the color is correct, and you could buy it at the right price, and the underneath is OK could be a nice car. But plan on spending some serious time and cash to make it really nice. As it sits, it might win a trophy at a multi-brand local cruise-in type car show. Driver quality, driver price.

Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 AM
Senior Chief

I hear what you are saying mgarblik and thank you, with limited resources down under to get handle on the market prices for these cars that don't come up for sale to often, Mecum gives me a rough idea, as I can live stream the auction, as for BJ, I worked out long ago
"It's get them full of drink and rip them off." I see mad monkey makes a dick of himself at BJ.
I do not plan to buy at one of these auctions/shows

I hope to buy a car private sale through this great forum or on recommendation .
And I hope to do it next year when my current job / contract ends and I have plenty of time to travel.
So perhaps if someone is thinking of selling a 66 in the future and want a pure Pontiac head to be the new owner ,and don't object to the car going down under, then send me a PM.
John L.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:53 AM
Senior Chief

That 66 2+2 was passed in at 17k , auctioneer said it takes over 20k to buy

Old 07-15-2019, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wasn't off by much. That car had some issues. I think it's a good time to buy one of these cars. Prices are down, even on the really good ones. People don't know what they are missing! I enjoyed my 2+2 more than any of the GTO's I owned. I owned a 65 GTO Tri power 4-speed, a 69 GTO hardtop and a 69 Judge convertible Ram Air III 4-speed. The 2+2 was more fun and would run circles around all of them.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:09 AM
Senior Chief

A nice looking 2+2 just passed in at Mecum auctions Monterey for 50k.

1965 black convertible, worth a look, I did notice the seats,
Is this the car that was on Ebay years ago for bin 99k ?
John L.

Old 08-17-2019, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

50K in today's market would need to be a #1 car or a #2+ car with every desirable option you could get on the car. A real H.O. for sure. Anyway you could provide a link to the car? I would like to look at it. Thanks.

Old 08-17-2019, 01:19 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
50K in today's market would need to be a #1 car or a #2+ car with every desirable option you could get on the car. A real H.O. for sure. Anyway you could provide a link to the car? I would like to look at it. Thanks.
https://www.mecum.com/lots/CA0819-38...a-convertible/

Looks good
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	65 2+2.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	518065  

Old 08-17-2019, 07:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty car in those colors. Not much at all to nit pick from what I can see in the pictures. Just a couple of things I am not sure about as far as originality. The overall color combination of a black body, red interior, black dash pad and a white top just doesn't seem like a combination the factory would have offered or was available, but I could be completely wrong. My guess is if the car came with a red interior, the dash pad would be the slightly darker red than the seats. That's the way 66's were, unless the black body called for a black dash pad. Don't know. Seems like the car would have come with a black top unless a parchment interior was ordered. I guess the PHS would straighten all this out, if it mattered to the buyer. Although the way it's presented looks great to me, I just don't think it came that way. Under the hood, it has H.O. exhaust manifolds, but is not presented as a 421 H.O. So my guess is this was a 421 4-bbl. car originally and the tri-power and HO manifolds were added. This would go along with the H.O. not being available with AC which was the case in 1966. Not sure about 65. It may have been a 356 HP tri-power and someone added the H.O. manifolds. The only other thing saw missing was the rare fiberglass cover that goes over all the AC stuff under the hood. That large cover is almost always missing on these cars. Overall, a very nice looking 2+2. A straight black car, red interior, convertible with AC, I can see that one going for 50K. If the colors are actually correct and original, and it is a real H.O. somehow with AC, it's definitely worth the 50K if it looks as good in person as the pics. There were no under car pics and no trunk pics. That's a little puzzling for a 50K car.

Old 08-17-2019, 07:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepper Judge View Post

Repop interior.. 421 console emblem in wrong place... appears to be a shroud emblem.... radio opening hacked...and OEM radio reinstalled... sits up too high in the rear.... wrong exhaust tips.. This car has nicer paint and eye appeal than mine... but I wouldn't trade..

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles

Last edited by 71GP76TA; 08-17-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2019, 07:04 AM
Senior Chief

I think this car would have done better later in the day! way too early for most auctions! Look how many BID GOES ON there were.. Four speed would have certainly helped ! I think the auction all together was a bust with many cars not selling! It seems more cars not sold than were sold! Tires looked way too small on the car! 215 75 14 are way too small! A nice set of 235 75 14 with the one inch whitewall are the way to go!

Old 08-18-2019, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Repop interior.. 421 console emblem in wrong place... appears to be a shroud emblem.... radio opening hacked...and OEM radio reinstalled... sits up too high in the rear.... wrong exhaust tips.. This car has nicer paint and eye appeal than mine... but I wouldn't trade..
Good catch on the 421 emblem and the radio dash hack. I missed both of them. The re-pop interior is a given but I am still puzzled by the black dash pad. Would be tough but not impossible to fix the dash hack for the aftermarket radio. A donor chrome cross bar could be grafted back into the dash. Looks like the entire exhaust system is not really correct concours quality, but it looks OK, I guess. Tires, also don't look terrible to me, but incorrect. IMO, this is about what 50K will get you in today's market. It's a nice car, at least in pictures. Mostly correct. Looks like a solid 2 to 2+ car if the underneath and trunk are as good as what we can see. We will never know.