Old 05-13-2019, 03:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Original '64 End Carb Mounting Gasket?

Does anybody know what an original factory installed '64 end carb mounting gasket should look like?

Old 05-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

John - I don't have any pictures on my computer, but it is a solid gasket with only the 4 mounting holes and the 2 throttle bore holes.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jon. Reason I ask, I tore up the paper gasket while removing the end carb, working on the vac linkage.

I kept the gasket from the years ago disassembly and thought it might have been original. I was tempted to use it but it is pretty dried out, stiff.

It is the 1st pic on the left. Last year my wife found an NOS Delco envelope with a 9793720 gasket while cleaning out a relative's basement. It is the one on the right.

The 2nd pic shows the scraped off gasket that was installed with the recent reassembly.

Based on the old, old gasket, I thought maybe the bore holes were supposed to be "connected", no divider to separate them.

Then I saw that the scraped off gasket has the separate bore holes.

The NOS 9793720 has the separate bore holes too. It is a much thicker gasket, looks like it would stand up to carb removal without coming apart or disintegrating.

But when I matched it up to the old, old gasket, I saw that it lacked the flared out sides. From what I can tell, the flared sides match the carb and fully cover a meaningless (I think) cavity on the throttle base.

The straight sides of the 9793720 look like they kinda still cover the cavity, but it gets awful close.

Fel-Pro 60113 is the available gasket, $5 at NAPA so I ordered it, should be here this afternoon. It has the separate bores and the flared sides (according to the pix).

Rock Auto is closing them out for $1.59 (3 left). If I needed anything else, I'd go that route but I don't and with postage a single gasket is about the same as NAPA.

Anyway, just wanted to know if I should be trimming the divider out to match my old, old gasket or leaving it. Will leave it in place. Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1205.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	28.6 KB
ID:	512203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1207.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	512204  

Old 05-14-2019, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The picture on the right and the single picture are the correct gasket.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Part # for the large bore Tripower flange gasket is 536477.
1968-up Pontiac used the thicker 1/8" 9793720 flange gasket for the large bore 2G´s.
The "open" gasket were used by Olds mainly.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 05-15-2019, 09:35 AM
Boost Engineer

The original ones under my 64 Tri-Power carbs were metal reinforced gaskets.
Because the intake and carbs was a one off deal for the Service Package Mechanical Linkage, I cannot swear that those gaskets are correct. Comments on material and design?

Tom V.

I have boxes of the older Tri-Power Gaskets John V.
PM me.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.