The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 08-08-2019, 05:44 PM
Senior Chief

Default 64/65 A-body quarter window inspection panels

Not sure if this is truly body related but here goes. Question concerning the attachment of quarter window inspection panels. My car is a 64 GTO (A-body) hardtop but I know the 65’s are the same, hardtop and sedan.

I’ve had the car apart for many years and can’t remember how the panels were originally installed. When I place the panel against the body structure it lays flat but looks like water could seep in at the bottom of the panel. It looks like a portion of the lip (marked with the green tape) could be angled in the opening but then the top really sticks out. So, how is the panel installed and was any sealer used? Thanks…MJS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190808_151836.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	517292  

Old 08-10-2019, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Usually the bottom slips to the outside of the inner panel with the top to the inside of the outer panel and held in with sheet metal screws. That makes water run off like a shingle. In your case it looks like there are notches where the inspection panel changes from outside to inside. That will of course cause some binding and the panel will need a slight bend to get it to lay flat. Just shove it flat and let the screws hold it there. There may be a bit of sealer of some type and there is usually some evidence of it left after panel removal. Might be like roofing tar or formable putty (the lay term for which escapes me now).

Old 08-10-2019, 05:51 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
Usually the bottom slips to the outside of the inner panel with the top to the inside of the outer panel and held in with sheet metal screws. That makes water run off like a shingle. In your case it looks like there are notches where the inspection panel changes from outside to inside. That will of course cause some binding and the panel will need a slight bend to get it to lay flat. Just shove it flat and let the screws hold it there. There may be a bit of sealer of some type and there is usually some evidence of it left after panel removal. Might be like roofing tar or formable putty (the lay term for which escapes me now).
Thanks for the info. I figured that’s the way the panel should be installed so, as you stated, any water will to drain away from the interior, but it just didn’t seem to fit properly that way. After a little maneuvering and placement of the notches against the body it fell into place with just a little binding. The top now sticks out only slightly and the sheet metal screws will hold it. Any sealer was removed long ago when I cleaned up that area but it’s obvious where some sealer is needed.

Old 08-11-2019, 12:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

how about a picture of it installed

Old 08-12-2019, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72pontiac View Post
how about a picture of it installed
Pic 1- green tape on flange with lower height edge. Pic 2- lower height edge placed inside of access hole. Pic 3- other edge on outside of body structure. Pic 4-installed.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	517554   Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	517555   Click image for larger version

Name:	31.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	517556   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190812_162835.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	517557  

Old 08-12-2019, 09:54 PM

When I took apart my '64 convert, those panels seams were covered up with body caulk. Not sure if factory, but it was a mess of caulk there that I had to scrape off and it had been there a long time. Not the best picture but you can see a portion of it. (And sorry can't figure out how to rotate it.)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20180104_200847.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	517602  

Old 08-12-2019, 10:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

those are a convertible thing right not hard tops