The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 09-03-2019, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default How much should I pay

I am doing the body work on my car piece by piece cause that’s the way I can afford to do it now. So here’s my question. I am dropping my drivers side fender off tomorrow to be stripped, primed and sealed. No rust. There is a dent at the front that looks like someone punched it. It’s not in a body line or has a crease looks like it should just pop right back but I’m not a body man. I am dropping it off tomorrow with a deposit of 550 to be stripped fixed and primed. Assuming 45 an hour labor how much should I have total in this one fender? I know things aren’t absolute just looking for a guesstimate.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No one here can possibly know what it will cost.
The shop can give a better estimate once the paint is removed. There can be underlying surface rust or past dent repairs that might be hidden. Stripping will expose any of that. And remember there are materials costs to include.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I know shop rates vary depending on where you live, but $45/hour is about half of what it would cost in my area.

Old 09-03-2019, 08:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I used the old orbital sander method to remove paint. Could easily take 3 or 4 hours to remove off a fender. Then a few more hours for dent repair. Assuming everything else if fine. Then a couple of hours to paint. Paint is not cheap however epoxy primer is probably the least expensive finish that well be put on the car. Assuming it takes 2 days of work I would think around $700. for a ballpark. I guess the biggest thing is what kind of shop is this. Restoration shop that will clock the hours and charge accordingly, or a collision shop that has a flat rate to fix a fender. If the latter is the case it may be double that price.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$300 just to blast and epoxy prime here.

1970 GTO 4spd VOE Pepper Green, green int.
1967 LeMans 428 Auto. Blue, black int.
Old 09-10-2019, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any updates yet on what the final price was?

Old 09-10-2019, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

then after priming ...you have to block sand with 220....then reprime....and block some more if needed.....final sand with 400....and depending on Color of choice....a tinted sealer is put down before spraying base coat and clear coat....unless your going Single Stage with a solid color

Old 09-14-2019, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

No update. It’s a restoration shop. Classic Pontiac Rescue. Owner said it will not exceed my 550 deposit but since it’s not a whole car to restore they are only working on it in their slow times. The estimate for the full car primed and painted and assembled with all the glass and all that installed and provided by the shop is 15-18K I have to pay for throne separately and they are gonna return to me a finished shell ready for upholstery and drivetrain