THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:01 AM

Default RAM ?

So when did RAM become a make and not a model of truck? It’s always been a Dodge RAM truck, but now it’s designated as a make? Chrysler, Dodge, RAM. Is this separation going to be the new norm for the automotive industry? Changing Models into makes?

~MaryAnn~ AKA "Stickybuns"
1969 Firebird 400 Convertible
1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

I'm the FiredUp PY bad girl
Old 09-05-2019, 10:19 AM
Suspended

I think it was when the new version came out in 2009

Old 09-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Suspended

To answer the rest of your question..... Some feel that Fiat made it a brand, like Jeep, to make the brand sellable in the event Fiat wanted to sell off their truck line.

Old 09-05-2019, 11:07 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ram Trucks was established as a division of Chrysler in 2010, as a spin-off from Dodge, and using the name of the Dodge Ram line of pickups that is now sold under the Ram banner. According to Chrysler, the Ram Trucks brand will concentrate on "real truck customers," rather than casual truck buyers who buy trucks for image or style.

The Ram brand was created following Chrysler's acquisition by Italian automaker Fiat, and the plans called for Dodge switching to an exclusively car-based lineup with all pickup and future heavy-duty trucks by Chrysler being sold under the Ram brand. This started in the 2009 calendar year. The Fiat Ducato cargo van design has been adopted and is sold as the Ram ProMaster in North American markets, filling the gap created when Daimler ended production of the Dodge Sprinter in 2008. The goal was to increase truck sales "from today's 280,000 to 415,000 by 2014".

Executives at Chrysler have stated their intention to compete in the semi-trailer truck category with Ram, a possibility that is aided by Fiat's ownership of Iveco and an already available network of Dodge dealers. Even though the Ram trucks are marketed separately from Dodge cars, former Ram Division President Fred Diaz stated, "Ram trucks are not a Dodge model. Ram will always be 'vinned' (Vehicle Identification Number) as a Ram. We need to continue to market as Ram so Dodge can have a different brand identity: hip, cool, young, energetic. That will not fit the campaign for truck buyers. The two should have distinct themes."

In April 2013, former CEO Fred Diaz left RAM to serve as vice president of Nissan's divisional sales and marketing. He was replaced by Reid Bigland.[5]

In August 2014, Ram truck brand CEO Reid Bigland was tapped to lead the Alfa Romeo brand in North America. It was announced that the new head of the Ram Trucks brand would be longtime Chrysler employee Robert Hegbloom, who joined Chrysler in 1986 and had previously been a director for the Dodge brand.

The Ram brand logo features the head of a ram, formerly the logo used by Dodge.

Old 09-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love mine...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1A3CE112-1FA5-4AD9-AC58-0D564DB2D94C.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	112.5 KB
ID:	519520  

Old 09-05-2019, 01:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep 2009 but with that said my 2012 I got new still has dodge on the dash insert. So I think that’s the last year they had dodge as any kind of badging. I have had more than one person tell me a 2012 can’t have dodge on it but it does.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandam1979 View Post
Yep 2009 but with that said my 2012 I got new still has dodge on the dash insert. So I think that’s the last year they had dodge as any kind of badging. I have had more than one person tell me a 2012 can’t have dodge on it but it does.
Well, Mopar has a history of putting the wrong names on vehicles...

My brother bought a new 1979 Dodge St. Regis, and that's what it said on the driver's side front fender. On the passenger side it read "Newport"....

Old 09-05-2019, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's still a Fiat/Chrysler product and you could'nt sell me one regardless what you called it.

Old 09-05-2019, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

They are trying everything possible to make sales, that's all..

If you have a ram/dodge pickup and you lose your HVAC selection control, and can barely get any air out of the defrost or vents. Do not, do not, do not try to fix it yourself...just pay the dealer about a grand to replace the little plastic door inside your HVAC control tunnel..

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-05-2019, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
It's still a Fiat/Chrysler product and you could'nt sell me one regardless what you called it.
There's been a fiat radio commercial on the local station. They are trying to be subliminal...they play a bunch of accordion music, bla bla bla this, bla bla that, then, Hey you've always wanted a fiat.......oh crap.....that is too incredibly stupid!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 09-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
Merging one company that’s legendary for bad quality with another for even worse quality, what could possibly go wrong ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
Well, Mopar has a history of putting the wrong names on vehicles...

My brother bought a new 1979 Dodge St. Regis, and that's what it said on the driver's side front fender. On the passenger side it read "Newport"....
If that’s the only issue he had with the car, he got lucky. Three years after buying it new my grandmothers 1979 Newport had all the exterior plastics cracking and falling off. And during those 3 years it was constantly parked in the service departments lot. Those cars were junk.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 09-06-2019, 01:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The new Rams kick ass!

Hell they're outselling the Silverado now.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 09-06-2019, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455Grandville View Post
If that’s the only issue he had with the car, he got lucky. Three years after buying it new my grandmothers 1979 Newport had all the exterior plastics cracking and falling off. And during those 3 years it was constantly parked in the service departments lot. Those cars were junk.
That "Newport" emblem was a sign of things to come....

The "Lean Burn" system might have been good in theory, but none of the techs at the dealership knew how to keep it running.

The power windows worked when they wanted to work, which wasn't very often.

There were other problems, but I can't remember any more specifics.

My brother bought this to replace his small 6 cylinder Ford (can't remember the model) that got piss poor gas mileage after I bought a 1979 Chevy Caprice Classic with a 350/4bbl and was getting much better gas mileage.

Both the Ford and the Dodge failed to match the fuel efficiency, comfort and reliability of the Caprice.

Old 09-06-2019, 08:55 AM

Well then.....I just had to ask lol.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-06-2019, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidponcho View Post
Ram Trucks was established as a division of Chrysler in 2010, as a spin-off from Dodge, and using the name of the Dodge Ram line of pickups that is now sold under the Ram banner. According to Chrysler, the Ram Trucks brand will concentrate on "real truck customers," rather than casual truck buyers who buy trucks for image or style.

The Ram brand was created following Chrysler's acquisition by Italian automaker Fiat, and the plans called for Dodge switching to an exclusively car-based lineup with all pickup and future heavy-duty trucks by Chrysler being sold under the Ram brand. This started in the 2009 calendar year. The Fiat Ducato cargo van design has been adopted and is sold as the Ram ProMaster in North American markets, filling the gap created when Daimler ended production of the Dodge Sprinter in 2008. The goal was to increase truck sales "from today's 280,000 to 415,000 by 2014".

Executives at Chrysler have stated their intention to compete in the semi-trailer truck category with Ram, a possibility that is aided by Fiat's ownership of Iveco and an already available network of Dodge dealers. Even though the Ram trucks are marketed separately from Dodge cars, former Ram Division President Fred Diaz stated, "Ram trucks are not a Dodge model. Ram will always be 'vinned' (Vehicle Identification Number) as a Ram. We need to continue to market as Ram so Dodge can have a different brand identity: hip, cool, young, energetic. That will not fit the campaign for truck buyers. The two should have distinct themes."

In April 2013, former CEO Fred Diaz left RAM to serve as vice president of Nissan's divisional sales and marketing. He was replaced by Reid Bigland.[5]

In August 2014, Ram truck brand CEO Reid Bigland was tapped to lead the Alfa Romeo brand in North America. It was announced that the new head of the Ram Trucks brand would be longtime Chrysler employee Robert Hegbloom, who joined Chrysler in 1986 and had previously been a director for the Dodge brand.

The Ram brand logo features the head of a ram, formerly the logo used by Dodge.
That's kinda funny, since around my area most of the trucks are owned by yuppies!
On a side note, my family has always bought ford trucks. When my brother visited a couple of months ago he was driving a new Ram. Really nice looking truck, but it shocked me to see he traded his F350. He bought a diesel 2500 (I think) with a towing package. Said it had more towing capacity than the ford and pulled his loaded toy hauler with ease. He is very happy with it.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:45 AM

Trucks are not really considered work horses anymore. Most are more luxurious then a car, and in my area they are more of a status look at me and my BIG truck thing, with all the bells and whistles. The Raptor is one such truck. Big, black, mean looking. And the louder the whistle from the motor the better. Stick a BIG flag on a pole behind the cab window, and you’re flying high. Very few trucks with tool boxes, ladder racks, and stuff in the beds anymore. Years ago you could choose a base model “work” truck not all loaded up. Today it’s the norm to have all the extras, and you have to pay for them too.

We are FORD truck people, but I gotta say, I’m really liking the GMC’s.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA

Old 09-06-2019, 11:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Golly, tell us more about the quality problems with your 1970's Dodges. It's real relevant today.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 09-06-2019, 12:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
The new Rams kick ass!

Hell they're outselling the Silverado now.
You mean the Sierra and Silverado Transformers? Man they are some ugly ass trucks, no wonder. GM is still dead to me for anything new
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	549A587B-26B1-4093-9943-E4D0E6997AB0.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	519585  

Old 09-06-2019, 12:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firedup6975 View Post
Years ago you could choose a base model “work” truck not all loaded up. Today it’s the norm to have all the extras, and you have to pay for them too.
:
I understand why they do it this way, but it still sucks. I just couldn't bring myself to pay a bunch of extra money for things that I specifically don't want. I've told my wife even if we won the lottery I would never buy a new truck. I would however gladly pay somebody to do a complete resto of my '76 F100 4x4 or even my '90 F150 4x4 if I had such financial good fortune.

Old 09-06-2019, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
You mean the Sierra and Silverado Transformers? Man they are some ugly ass trucks, no wonder. GM is still dead to me for anything new

This is exactly what I mean, you won’t see bags of cement, tools, and ladders in that truck lol. Probably not even a sheet of drywall or plywood, or firewood.

1978 Bandit T/A Tribute
1977 RED TA