Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-20-2020, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Of course, there are always these S/S bolts that also polish up nice, your choice of hex or 12 point:

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-de...?RecordID=2361

https://arp-bolts.com/kits/arpkit-de...?RecordID=2360

But the McMasters would be less expensive.

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/
Old 12-06-2020, 07:00 PM

I just realized that by ordering new intake bolts, it leaves a problem with the intake bolts that had the stud on top for mounting brackets. What are you guys using for those intake bolts that had the studs on top?

Old 12-07-2020, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
I just realized that by ordering new intake bolts, it leaves a problem with the intake bolts that had the stud on top for mounting brackets. What are you guys using for those intake bolts that had the studs on top?
I use stock bolts in those position if needed.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 12-08-2020, 10:44 PM

Thanks

Old 12-09-2020, 04:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
A spacer and a longer bolt.

Old 12-09-2020, 07:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
Honest question about using aluminum bolts in an iron head: Is galvanic corrosion a concern? I've seen some pretty dire outcomes when aluminum and steel are used together in other settings. It appears those aluminum bolts are intended for LS engines, which of course have aluminum heads rather than iron as appears to be the case in your GTO. If indeed galvanic corrosion is a concern, I'd be quite worried about the threads essentially welding themselves together over time.

Personally, if I was on a budget, I'd try reusing the original bolts, but otherwise I'd just order a bolt kit from ARP and call it a day.
I have an old porsche and the guys on those forums go nuts over mixing steel/aluminum. I mean really nuts, end of life as we know it nuts. Especially steel/stainless fasteners in aluminum. Now, ARP steel fasteners have gone into aluminum heads ? Millions of times. I texted ARP about it - they said a good copper anti-seize should mainly take care of it. I think marine applications/salfwater make galvanic corrosion issues worse.

Old 12-09-2020, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Prevent electrolyte contact: coating metals with hydrophobic substances like grease prevents electrolyte contact, slowing any potential corrosion.

Here is a chart that shows probability of corrosion between materials

Its real it's a thing, myself having worked on aircraft flight line's production and test environments material usage and blocking / dealing with corrosion was paramount due to weight, everything is built with minimal material mass so it can fly efficiently but this makes nearly every component less tolerable to structural strength loss due to crumbling corroded material

More of a cosmetic thing with automobiles because they are a little more over built and wont fall out of the sky

Last edited by Formulas; 12-17-2023 at 10:11 AM.