THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Barn Find Sighting ?

Yesterday, as we were driving North on hwy 167, there was a pickup/trailer pulling out of a long driveway. There was a car on the trailer. As always, I looked to see what kind of car was on the trailer.

If I'd been a cartoon character, I suppose my eyes would have popped out on their stems. The car was a '62 big Pontiac. I suppose they are called B-bodies. It didn't have a GP grill. So, I assume it was either a Cat or Bonnie.

The hwy was a divided 4 lane. The pickup/trailer/Pontiac was going the same direction as we were. When we got into Ruston & hit the traffic signals, the rig pulled up beside & past us, slightly. As traffic moved slowly from light to light, we got a good look at the right side & rear of the car.

It was brown, with a cream colored top, which appeared to be vinyl covered. The entire car LOOKED to be in good original condition. Saw no dents or evidence of rust, whatsoever. I had no idea there was a car like this anywhere near us.

Will most likely never know anything else about it. But, I sure would love to know the details of the car's entire history. Would especially like to know if this was a purchase of the car, and if so, the price, and how the buyer knew of the cars existence.

Anyhow, to me, this sighting was a very unexpected pleasure ! It reminds me of a time in my life when cars like this were quite common & could be seen almost anywhere in the country, every day. If you're around 70 years old, you can remember when many of the famous Pontiacs were driving American streets, every day. The Musclecar era was something VERY special ! At the time, none of us realized exactly HOW special it would become, many years later.

Old 11-12-2020, 01:23 PM

I know that feeling and still get goosebumps just like we did back in the real day. Yep, I'm old enough being born in the fabulous fifties. Bought my first Gto, a 66 when I was 17.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 11-12-2020, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was it a residential or business' driveway? Go back and inquire.

Old 11-12-2020, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My barn find event happened about 25 years ago. One evening at dusk I was driving home with my wife and I was astonished to see a rollback come past me in traffic with a car on it. I screamed out to my wife: “That’s a 63 Lemans on that rollback!”. Within a second, I was pulling off the road to turn around and follow it. Unfortunately, the rollback was headed to a “Y” forking of two main highways within about ¼ mile. By the time I got to the Y there was no rollback in view. Snap decision I took the left turn road, which went through 2 stoplights and turned into a 4-lane town-bypass road within 1/2 mile. I romped onto the 4-lane and after a couple miles I caught site of the rollback ahead lumbering along. I caught up with him just as the 4-lane turned to 2-lane and after 5 miles or so he pulled off into a used car lot.

Of course, I was out of my car and standing by the rollback when the driver got out. He was a teenager and when I asked about the car, he said he didn’t know anything about and that he had gone to Columbus, Ohio (about 200 miles away) to pick it up and bring it to the owner of the car lot who was going to paint it for a buddy of his in Columbus.

I knew the owner of the lot and next day I talked with him, asking about buying it. He said he would talk to his buddy in Ohio. I followed up over the next few weeks during which time the lot owner took it to another lot and garage he owned in the next county about 30 miles away. Finally, after about 6 weeks, I bought the car and drove it home. (I suspect the car lot guy bought it from his buddy and jacked the price to me.)

I drove it as a work car for a while with ambitions of converting it to a 428/Muncie/leaf spring car.(I had built and raced one of them about 25 years previously.) I got diverted by buying a 62 Catalina and a variety of other reasons and put the Lemans on back burner. It is now a project car in my garage with the 428/Muncie/leaf spring installation substantially done.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Doug For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2020, 06:15 PM
Senior Chief

I had this happen to me two nights ago. On my way home from work a trailer with a '65 Bonnie or Catalina convertible passed me going the other way on a 6 lane divided highway. It was the blue/green color with a white top. From the quick glance I got, it looked like it had been sitting awhile. No way to catch up!

Last edited by lemansboy70; 11-12-2020 at 06:21 PM.
Old 11-12-2020, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeighborsComplaint View Post
Was it a residential or business' driveway? Go back and inquire.
It was a residence. If it was a business, I'd try to get all the details.

BUT, in this day & time, you never know what you might encounter behind the door of a private residence, of someone you don't know.

And, even if I located the owner & it was for sale, I couldn't buy it. So, it'll just be one of those little things I'll never know about.

But, just seeing that old Pontiac made my veterans day a little better ! WAY over 99% of the population could not possibly understand that.

Speakin of veterans day, the reason we were traveling that road was because we were going to meet TJ's brother & his wife to have a veterans day meal together. The last 2 years, we went to Golden Corral & took advantage of their free meal for vets. But, because of the China plague, our GC has been closed for months & will probably never reopen.

So, after checking online for free vet meals, I discovered that Little Caesars was giving vets their $5 lunch special. It includes a small 4-piece personal deep dish pizza & a 20oz Pepsi product.

Neither TJ nor I had ever tried it. So, we stopped at the Ruston location & picked one up. Hey, it was good !

TJ's brother was in the Navy & I was an NG. So, when we got to his house, he & I hit a couple of LC locations which were just down the road from his house. They only have take-out, so we took it back to his house & the 4 of us had veterans day pizza. It wasn't as good as piggin out at GC. But, it was pretty tasty.

TJ & I just agreed that we may consider that LC lunch special deal in the future, when we're out & don't wanna take time to dine-in somewhere. Can munch on it on the trip home. Hey, lots of folks spend that & more on burgers & fries. And this was a lot better, IMO.

Old 11-12-2020, 08:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have a friend who runs a Little Caeser's real near me.
I get free "left-overs" (aka un-bought) pizza and cheezybread all the time.

The deep-dish pepperoni is Really Good
So is the CrazyCheezyBread , and Bestest Pepperoni (xtra pepperoni)
It's better at home than it is freshly made, to me.

I pop it in the microwave for a short bit, then give it a cycle in the toaster oven.
Love the Stuff !

Our Golden Corral has re-opened maybe a month or two ago, but i doubt they do the buffet anymore.

Old 11-13-2020, 04:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...I get free "left-overs" (aka un-bought) pizza...all the time..."

Yeah, I use to go to the Pizza Hut lunch buffet & make it a point to stay 'til the buffet was over & everybody else had left. Everything that's left on the buffet goes in the trash. But, if I'd ask, they'll box up all of it I wanted. I put it in the freezer, then we'd nuke it whenever we'd want some.

But, the plague shut down our local Pizza Hut. TJ said she saw a couple of cars there yesterday. So, they may have take-out now. The Ruston location has been completely closed, for months.

They had not only a good dine-in business, but are in a college town. So they made lots of deliveries. I sat in on a couple of their lunch buffets. They had 2 delivery drivers, who stayed busy, while I was there.

Old 11-14-2020, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Reminds me of a night a couple of years or so ago when I was on my way to work. Stopped in the local truck stop to get gas and coffee and saw this....
The pic doesn't do it justice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190614_232136781.jpg
Views:	474
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	553843  

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 11-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
It was a residence. If it was a business, I'd try to get all the details.

BUT, in this day & time, you never know what you might encounter behind the door of a private residence, of someone you don't know.

And, even if I located the owner & it was for sale, I couldn't buy it. So, it'll just be one of those little things I'll never know about.

But, just seeing that old Pontiac made my veterans day a little better ! WAY over 99% of the population could not possibly understand that.

Speakin of veterans day, the reason we were traveling that road was because we were going to meet TJ's brother & his wife to have a veterans day meal together. The last 2 years, we went to Golden Corral & took advantage of their free meal for vets. But, because of the China plague, our GC has been closed for months & will probably never reopen.

So, after checking online for free vet meals, I discovered that Little Caesars was giving vets their $5 lunch special. It includes a small 4-piece personal deep dish pizza & a 20oz Pepsi product.

Neither TJ nor I had ever tried it. So, we stopped at the Ruston location & picked one up. Hey, it was good !

TJ's brother was in the Navy & I was an NG. So, when we got to his house, he & I hit a couple of LC locations which were just down the road from his house. They only have take-out, so we took it back to his house & the 4 of us had veterans day pizza. It wasn't as good as piggin out at GC. But, it was pretty tasty.

TJ & I just agreed that we may consider that LC lunch special deal in the future, when we're out & don't wanna take time to dine-in somewhere. Can munch on it on the trip home. Hey, lots of folks spend that & more on burgers & fries. And this was a lot better, IMO.
A big thank you to you and your brother-in-law for your service.

Old 11-23-2020, 04:57 PM

A couple of weeks ago, we were working up in the hills on our way to a jobsite. In Hockinson, on NE 139 St, , I spotted a 67 GTO on a trailer . The driver had stopped and was checking his load. The car was lighter shade of gold and a white top. Would love to have stopped but not with a large work truck on company time. Of course we would have stopped if it was personal time and found out what the story was.