Old 11-26-2020, 04:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Im stumped. Factory Hurst 4 Speed shifter problem

I recently had to pull the Muncie 4 speed to make a repair to it. When I put everything back together the shifter wont click over to the left so I can put it up into reverse. I put it back together in the exact same spot with the 1/4 alignment tool in place. I made sure everything was adjusted perfectly. The trans shift in to reverse easy by itself so it is not the trans or the linkage. It simply wont move over to the left so I can put it in reverse. Like its locked out. It shifts into 1,2,3 and 4 no problem. Its a factory Hurst Competition that came stock on 69 GTO,s. Any ideas?

Last edited by Bruce Meyer; 11-26-2020 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:26 PM
Boost Engineer

I would remove the shifter, put it in a vice, and try to move the reverse lever on the shifter when it is in neutral and when you try to go into reverse.
Maybe a bit of trash has that reverse lever arm bound up.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:00 PM
Senior Chief

You probably put the wrong bolt in up in the lower center of the shifter into the tranny. The bolt head will stop the lever from moving far enough left to push into reverse. A quick way to check is just remove that bolt.

Old 11-27-2020, 12:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71HOT/A View Post
You probably put the wrong bolt in up in the lower center of the shifter into the tranny. The bolt head will stop the lever from moving far enough left to push into reverse. A quick way to check is just remove that bolt.
There are 2 bolts holding the shifter to the trans. One is on the very top and the other is on the bottom right. Are you talking about the bottom right bolt?

Old 11-27-2020, 04:23 PM
Senior Chief

Sorry I wasn't more specific, The mounting plate bolts to the tranny, the shifter bolts to the plate. Behind the shifter a bolt goes into a sort of recess in the plate into the tranny. The recess is there so the bolt head will be flush or slightly recessed to the plate. If the bolt head is too tall the shifter " puck " will hit it.

Old 11-27-2020, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71HOT/A View Post
Sorry I wasn't more specific, The mounting plate bolts to the tranny, the shifter bolts to the plate. Behind the shifter a bolt goes into a sort of recess in the plate into the tranny. The recess is there so the bolt head will be flush or slightly recessed to the plate. If the bolt head is too tall the shifter " puck " will hit it.
THIS^^^^. The mechanical interference is keeping it from lining up. Make SURE your 1/4 drill or allen key lines up perfectly with it in neutral, as well. If it's out, one of the shifter plates will lock it out too. The plates in the shifter must be in synch with each other.

Old 11-27-2020, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bolt interferes with shifter going into reverse.

In post #5 and #6 above; I believe this is the bolt they are in reference to:

It is one of (3) short mounting bolts that hold the aluminum plate to the tail-housing extension.

It can't stick up very far, no washer. The factory used a very, VERY thin flat washer underneath those 3 bolts but if you put any other washer or a split-ring lockwasher underneath that bolt you will not be able to put the shifter into reverse.

The forward speeds will all work fine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1967 GTO Hurst 4 speed shifter mounting plate_Wrong bolt~a.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	74.6 KB
ID:	554885  

Old 11-27-2020, 07:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the replies guys. Its fixed. It wasn't a bolt interfering with the "puck" It was the bracket itself. Apparently I did not get it in the exact place that it was when I pulled the shifter off. The shifter was a tiny bit forward and the puck just hit the bracket edge. Moved the shifter back about 1/4 inch and it works fine now.

Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the follow up, Bruce. Glad it's fixed.