Old 07-05-2020, 02:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 59 power antenna question...

Does anybody have a picture of a correct switch (uninstalled).....?

I'm trying to figure out what's not stock...on my radio....wiring,..etc.

Thanks

Old 07-06-2020, 01:00 AM

Green Hornet.....there were two types of electric antenna for 1959. Early production cars used a fully automatic antenna, that was controlled by the radio/ignition switch through a relay behind the radio and limit switches inside the antenna housing. Turning the radio/ignition on caused the antenna to rise to about 30 inches. Turning the radio/ignition off caused the antenna to fully lower. There was also a dash mounted switch to raise the antenna higher than the initial 30 inches. This was a spring loaded single pole rotary switch.
Part way through production the automatic antenna was discontinued in favor of a simple manual controlled antenna. This type was raised or lowered by a spring loaded double pole center off rotary switch mounted on the dash. Turn and hold the switch clockwise raised the antenna as much as you wanted. Turn counterclockwise and lower as desired.
To determine which you have, first look at the antenna body itself. two wires only is the manual electric (black and white=up and down.) Three wires is the automatic antenna (black and white=up and down orange=up farther.) Looking at the back of the rotary switches, three terminal lugs is for the manual antenna, while two lugs is for the automatic antenna.
Sorry this post is so long. Could have been answered in ten words if I knew how to post pictures. Hope this helps.....John

Old 07-07-2020, 12:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok....thanks for posting all that info...

Here are some pics of what was in my 59 when I got it.....

I was told that according to the cowl tag body number....it's a very early build out of the Fairfax plant...

The speaker and black junction block are obviously aftermarket parts..

I think all the rest are OE.....just need to figure out the wiring and test components
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1579.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	544402   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1580.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	544403   Click image for larger version

Name:	CIMG1581.jpg
Views:	140