Old 09-23-2020, 08:20 AM
Senior Chief

Default Fuel filter bowl gasket blues - 1957 Chieftain

So, after sitting for a while (months, not years), the fuel filter bowl gasket started leaking on my '57 started spewing fuel. I swapped the filter and rubber ring for a new one (Wix). It leaked worse! I wound up taking the filter housing off the carb and set/seated the gasket and bowl on housing while it was off the car. This solved the problem but only briefly. I drove the car less than a mile due to some transmission issues (see other thread on fluid change).

I let the car sit a few weeks, and when I restarted it, fuel was spewing from the bowl/housing again.

Is there a better gasket for the fuel filter bowl? Delete it and go to a metal inline filter?

Suggestions welcome. It's these simple silly problems that are maddening. At least it didn't happen while driving, or for sure the car would have burned.

Thanks,

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 09-24-2020, 01:20 PM

Do you have a pic of the assembly? If it is like mine I make my own out of cork gasket material. You can sometimes find one at a farm supply store.

Old 09-24-2020, 06:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, Farm supply or you can "Cut one".
He He...

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 09-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Hey guys - can't believe it's almost a year since I posted this question.

I did solve the mystery of the fuel filter bowl leak. The casting actually distorted over the last 64 years to the point that the mating surface for the glass bowl and gasket was no longer flat. similar to the distortion to the air horn on the carb that I found when I got the car. Solution will be a new/reproduction filter assembly.

Just thought I would post up a resolution to this in case anyone else comes across this issue.

Cheers,

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 09-17-2021, 04:45 PM
Senior Chief

In my search for a replacement fuel filter housing, I am finding reproductions with 1/8"(!) fitting ports. WTH? Mine has 1/4" lines with 1/4" MPT ports and fittings.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-09-2022, 05:22 PM
Senior Chief

I might as well update this thread, although I doubt it is of much use or interest to anyone but me.

I searched far and wide for the a correct replacement reproduction fuel filter assembly for my Chieftain. They do not exist. I bought the 1/8" port filter assembly from Ames, which they list for the '57 but is not "correct". I picked up a pair of brass adapters and got the new assembly mounted. Of course now the hard fuel line needs to be modified to accommodate the inlet now being about an inch farther from the carb than previously. I carefully bent it to fit and now I have a leak-free fuel filter bowl.

The amount of distortion of the original cast housing was quite significant.

So now I can move on to the next issues - coolant leak and malfunctioning transmission.

Heck, the car only has 34k miles on it. Quality is just not what it used to be . . . (just joking).

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-09-2022, 05:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those filter assemblies pop up on that internet site now & then, I have a couple spares. '57 & '8 are pretty similar.
You running a 2 or 4 bbl?
Keep swinging for the fences!

Still have my 1st Firebird
7th Firebird
57 Starchief
Old 05-09-2022, 07:55 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks - I looked but couldn't come up with one. Used was of no interest, since the same problem could likely be found with another 65 year old cast part.

I have the high comp 2 BBL engine. It's pretty snotty. Great throttle response. Will shred the RR tire at will.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-10-2022, 01:02 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr67gp View Post
... the mating surface for the glass bowl and gasket was no longer flat...
If you ship it to me I'll look at machining that surface flat. If not enough material to allow that, I'll epoxy the surface up some and then machine it (Devcon sets up hard and fuel-proof). PM or email me. Free service.
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier.

Old 05-10-2022, 10:29 AM
Senior Chief

Jack - that is very generous. I toyed with the thought of jigging up the housing in my lathe to machine a new gasket surface, but was concerned about thinning and cracking. I'll send you a PM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
If you ship it to me I'll look at machining that surface flat. If not enough material to allow that, I'll epoxy the surface up some and then machine it (Devcon sets up hard and fuel-proof). PM or email me. Free service.
Sorry I didn't read this thread earlier.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 05-11-2022, 12:44 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

I received your message and replied.