Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3AE5D4F6-6D58-4064-8CE8-C8309C5D34A6.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	554386  

Old 11-25-2020, 12:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Dang... hate I missed this. Maybe catch a holiday sale.

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 11-25-2020, 10:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Check with EFI Systems Pro

https://www.efisystempro.com

He's a Holley dealer and runs specials occasionally and with the holidays coming up I'd expect to see more.

In fact, we bought both of our Holley Super Sniper Stealth 8 injector units from Chris at EFI Pro and he wasn't running any specials at the time, but knocked $200 off anyway. Great guy to deal with.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 02-14-2021, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been looking at the sniper stealth kit for a chevy that has a street / strip 375-400hp sbc engine. Currently running a Holley 4150. It's always been extremely cold blooded & while it performs great, its street manners are less than desirable. some hesitations and cold start stalls that I was never able to completely get rid of. It would be awesome to have something that would run better cold & self tune. The car already has an in tank GM fuel pump, so I have figured out the Holley pump I would use, but not completely clear if I have to have the full pressure regulator up on the firewall, or if I can mount it closer to the fuel tank. The car has no return line and bending one up to look factory might be a bit of a pain, but surely not impossible.

Can't seem to find much on the pros cons of where the regulator should be located & why. Maybe on a smaller engine like this its not a big deal?

Good news I stumbled on is it currently has an MSD distributer & ignition system that is compatible with the sniper kit to take control of all the timing. That is really cool & a pleasant surprise.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 10:24 AM

68rag - the Sniper has a regulator built into the throttle body. You do not need an external regulator. You will need a high pressure fuel pump and a return line to the tank.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68ragtop View Post
I've been looking at the sniper stealth kit for a chevy that has a street / strip 375-400hp sbc engine. Currently running a Holley 4150. It's always been extremely cold blooded & while it performs great, its street manners are less than desirable. some hesitations and cold start stalls that I was never able to completely get rid of. It would be awesome to have something that would run better cold & self tune. The car already has an in tank GM fuel pump, so I have figured out the Holley pump I would use, but not completely clear if I have to have the full pressure regulator up on the firewall, or if I can mount it closer to the fuel tank. The car has no return line and bending one up to look factory might be a bit of a pain, but surely not impossible.

Can't seem to find much on the pros cons of where the regulator should be located & why. Maybe on a smaller engine like this its not a big deal?

Good news I stumbled on is it currently has an MSD distributer & ignition system that is compatible with the sniper kit to take control of all the timing. That is really cool & a pleasant surprise.
if you have an electric choke, try switching it over to a manual cable-operated choke. i did so on an old big block chevy plow truck. once i got the fast idle screw set up right, it made a world of difference.

functioning heat riser valve makes a big difference in cold startup performance too.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Sniper "Stealths" do not have a built in regulator.

I assume there was no way to do that and still maintain the Stealth appearance of a carburator, so you'll need a regulator in the system. No big deal.

You can mount it anywhere you want, back at the tank or up near the Sniper unit. I will say though that it's recommended as close to the Sniper unit as you can, with a full length return. That will give you the most accurate fuel pressure for the unit to operate, among other reasons.

It does work with a regulator setup at the tank with a very short return if that's really the way you want to go.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

To add, at the mild 375-400hp level the 4 injector 4150 Stealth will probably do everything you're looking for with it's self tune capability, better cold starts etc....and have room to grow power wise. Usually when you get up into some of the more rowdy engines and bigger HP, the self tuning will only get you so far, and will generally require some lap top tuning to really dial it in.

Yes if you want to control timing, the Sniper Stealth will work with a current MSD distributor and box. You just have to lock out the distributor, wire it per instructions, and off you go. Most buyers opt for the dual sinc distributor setup from Holley.

Old 02-14-2021, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TransAm400 View Post
68rag - the Sniper has a regulator built into the throttle body. You do not need an external regulator. You will need a high pressure fuel pump and a return line to the tank.
I see they have what should be a direct fit fuel pump. not very expensive either.
I was just looking at the manual that showed I needed an external regulator, but Might have been the wrong manual. I'll take a peek at that. I'll probably remove the original line as a template & see if I can bend up a matching return line the piggy back on the routing. Also need to weld in a A/F sensor bung & I have the exhaust system ceramic coated already. They guy who did that for me is no longer in business, so I'll have to find somebody to redo that mid pipe.

It does have an electric choke, but it always has some hesitations at part throttle. I messed with timing curves, power valves & jets & never got it completely cured.
Just thought it would be cool to unlock the ability to fine tune it from the drivers seat.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
To add, at the mild 375-400hp level the 4 injector 4150 Stealth will probably do everything you're looking for with it's self tune capability, better cold starts etc....and have room to grow power wise. Usually when you get up into some of the more rowdy engines and bigger HP, the self tuning will only get you so far, and will generally require some lap top tuning to really dial it in.

Yes if you want to control timing, the Sniper Stealth will work with a current MSD distributor and box. You just have to lock out the distributor, wire it per instructions, and off you go. Most buyers opt for the dual sinc distributor setup from Holley.

When I built this car, I tried to make the drive train look factory. Has A/C & all the brackets that make it look like a factory 305. But, its a built ZZ3 based 350. I bought the MSD HEI lookalike so I could run an oem style cap & wire retainer. It has the lockout features, but lacks the adjustable spark rotor. I think I can get around that though by using an adjustable "fixed" vacuum advance device. it locks the pickup coil, but with that I could adjust the distributor to best line up the rotor and cap, then tweak the pickup adjustment to get it back to the correct fixed location. Which I believe is 45 degrees advanced & the system corrects everything from there. I did see the adjustment however is made setting it by using 15 degrees as the reference point. But mechanically it looks like the pickup is supposed to be at 45 degrees from TDC. This makes sense to me as then the system knows exactly how many degrees to retard from 45 & likely never go past 32 or 34 total on this engine.

Does this system let you specify an initial timing as well? This engine seem to like 32 ish total, but somewhere around 10 degrees is where it starts the best. Anything more & I get some preignition issues when its hot. The MSD distributor let me dial that in very nicely.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
When I built this car, I tried to make the drive train look factory. Has A/C & all the brackets that make it look like a factory 305. But, its a built ZZ3 based 350. I bought the MSD HEI lookalike so I could run an oem style cap & wire retainer. It has the lockout features, but lacks the adjustable spark rotor. I think I can get around that though by using an adjustable "fixed" vacuum advance device. it locks the pickup coil, but with that I could adjust the distributor to best line up the rotor and cap, then tweak the pickup adjustment to get it back to the correct fixed location. Which I believe is 45 degrees advanced & the system corrects everything from there. I did see the adjustment however is made setting it by using 15 degrees as the reference point. But mechanically it looks like the pickup is supposed to be at 45 degrees from TDC. This makes sense to me as then the system knows exactly how many degrees to retard from 45 & likely never go past 32 or 34 total on this engine.

Does this system let you specify an initial timing as well? This engine seem to like 32 ish total, but somewhere around 10 degrees is where it starts the best. Anything more & I get some preignition issues when its hot. The MSD distributor let me dial that in very nicely.

Yes you can specify cranking timing and idle timing separately. Much more tunable than a mechanical setup.

You sound a lot like me with the stock appearance thing. That's exactly why I went with the Stealth unit on my Chevelle. I even went as far as to make factory steel lines with the brass block, running down to a mechanical fuel pump. It's all "dummy" stuff that has no fuel in it. I ran the main fuel line hidden into the back of the Stealth unit.
With the air cleaner on it looks like a stock carb with stock lines and a mechanical fuel pump.

Old 02-14-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The Sniper "Stealths" do not have a built in regulator.

I assume there was no way to do that and still maintain the Stealth appearance of a carburator, so you'll need a regulator in the system. No big deal.

You can mount it anywhere you want, back at the tank or up near the Sniper unit. I will say though that it's recommended as close to the Sniper unit as you can, with a full length return. That will give you the most accurate fuel pressure for the unit to operate, among other reasons.

It does work with a regulator setup at the tank with a very short return if that's really the way you want to go.
I was leaning towards the super stealth only because my air clean drops down a lot to clear the hood insulation. It has notches in the front & back for the conventional bowls, so I was hoping the super stealth would fit under it with no mods. But maybe I would be better with the regular sniper & modifying the air cleaner setup. Hmmmm

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yes you can specify cranking timing and idle timing separately. Much more tunable than a mechanical setup.

You sound a lot like me with the stock appearance thing. That's exactly why I went with the Stealth unit on my Chevelle. I even went as far as to make factory steel lines with the brass block, running down to a mechanical fuel pump. It's all "dummy" stuff that has no fuel in it. I ran the main fuel line hidden into the back of the Stealth unit.
With the air cleaner on it looks like a stock carb with stock lines and a mechanical fuel pump.
Yep, I'll post some pics. Its not stock, but built it so at first glance it looks like it could have been. Sanderson shorty headers stand out a little but everything is so tight in this car you don't see them at first.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A couple pics. The top engine pic is recent, bottom pic is now 13 years old! What I just noticed is how dull/oxidized all the aluminum stuff has gotten. I could tell, but the pic really makes it stand out. Never noticed it has changed that much.

I have the factory 2bbl air cleaner. I was planning on swapping out the bottom with the aftermarket chevy thats on there now, but never go to that. that factory setup has a very restrictive snorkel on it. ThoughIT would be cool to add a W72 snorkel to it, but for some reason I never pursued it & just lived with Chevy PP lid.

On the second pic you can see the factory fuel line above the brakes booster. Plan would be to remove it all the way back to the tank & see if I can bend up a tandem line.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	engine.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	68.5 KB
ID:	560740   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0076.jpg
Views:	712
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	560741  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-14-2021, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You spent a lot of time on that Spyder

I had 3 of those over the years. My wife enjoyed driving them. Fun nimble cars.

Old 02-14-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I was leaning towards the super stealth only because my air clean drops down a lot to clear the hood insulation. It has notches in the front & back for the conventional bowls, so I was hoping the super stealth would fit under it with no mods. But maybe I would be better with the regular sniper & modifying the air cleaner setup. Hmmmm
The stealth will fit most any factory air cleaner that was originally equipped with a holley, or made for a holley.

I have the factory cowl induction air cleaner over my Sniper and works great, and dad uses an L88 air cleaner assembly that also fit the Sniper perfectly.

Old 02-14-2021, 02:12 PM
Senior Chief

I had a Spyder,1977 and yellow, like that in high school. I loved that car. One day I will find another one. That looks great. Mine was manual steering and no A/C. I will probably put an EFI on my Firebird in the future.

Old 02-14-2021, 05:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Slightly off topic, but I just noticed that Holley offers a Q-Jet style Sniper. They claim its about the same dimensions as a factory carb. Does anyone know or have first hand experience with this?

I'd like to run it under a shaker, but I can't modify the shaker base in any way, shape, or form.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-15-2021, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerry455 View Post
I had a Spyder,1977 and yellow, like that in high school. I loved that car. One day I will find another one. That looks great. Mine was manual steering and no A/C. I will probably put an EFI on my Firebird in the future.
Thats what I had in high school. Prior to me purchasing mine in 1985, it was only 8 years old & getting pretty rusty form the Wisconsin Winters. Looked good, but door seams were already letting go on the bottoms. Lots of great memories. Dropped a tired 350 in with a cam, intake & carb to replace the anemic 140hp 305 & the fun factor went way up. Then started looking for one 20 years later & it was nearly impossible to find a nice one. By chance of fate / luck I found one out of Florida. Low miles & ron solid. All the plastic & rubber was dried up, but completely rust free. So I started a 3 year restoration on it.
You almost had to own one of these cars to have any interest in them. Kind of a cult thing I suppose. Extremely hard to find nice used & NOS parts for. The car was easy to restore, but getting parts was another story. I am guessing thats not getting any easier as whats out there ends up in a few more of these H bodies. Probably near the bottom on the collectibility scale, but thats not why I wanted it.

I have another set of wheels I run as well as the rallies in the pic.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1835.jpg
Views:	595
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	560795  

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 02-15-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

First, I would probably recommend EFI systempros because they appear to offer the best overall support and remote tuning through Mad-Science: https://mad-sciencemotorsports.com/

Second, if you are considering either a Sniper Stealth, Super Sniper or Sniper X-flow. I would take a long hard look at the Terminator Stealth X. It looks like it went up a bit in price recently but has a lot of advantages that the average person would actually use while offering increased RFI resistance: https://www.efisystempro.com/termina...1001-thru-1016

71 Formula 433, Splayed cap 400 block, 4" stroke Scat forged crank, 6.8 Eagle rods, custom Autotec pistons. SD 295 KRE D ports, Old faithful hybrid roller, Torker II, Holley Sniper Stealth, Tribal Tubes, TKO 600, 3.73 Eaton posi.