The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 10-04-2008, 02:28 AM

Default 70 GM paint code same color pont and chevy

does any one know if the gm paint code 48 forest green which is on the 70 chevelle

the same as the 48 pepper green pontiac paint code

my question is are the two colors the same forest green and pepper green

thanks

Old 10-04-2008, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes. They are both 2173.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:37 PM

Thanks I thought the colors were the same

The strange thing is that the pepper green looks darker to me and the forest green looks cooler possibly it is set off by the white stripes on a chevelle

Old 10-08-2008, 08:03 PM

These days you really can't compare one car to another as they could be two different brands of paint, and they are not going to be exactly the same. I see this all the time. Also the the each division of GM had their own names for each color. Same paint code, same color, just a different name.

Buick also used #48 in 1970, but I forget what they called it off the top.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
These days you really can't compare one car to another as they could be two different brands of paint, and they are not going to be exactly the same. I see this all the time. Also the the each division of GM had their own names for each color. Same paint code, same color, just a different name.

Buick also used #48 in 1970, but I forget what they called it off the top.
This may be true for 70, but not necessarily the same for other years. 67 Pontiacs had Plum Mist, Chevelles had Royal Plum. They were not the same, the chevy was darker

Old 10-09-2008, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-body View Post
This may be true for 70, but not necessarily the same for other years. 67 Pontiacs had Plum Mist, Chevelles had Royal Plum. They were not the same, the chevy was darker
Wrong, 1967 is no different. If your color names you posted above are correct, then they are the same colors, proven by the fact that they are the same PPG 50717 color with the EXACT same mix formula. If they don't match then something else has come into play.

Bear with me for a minute. In 1967 both Chevy and Pontiac each had two different burgany/plums (what ever you want to call it as the name isn't really important, its the codes that count). Anyway one darker and one lighter and both divisions used both of them. I think you are confusing two different colors thinking they are supposed to be the same when if fact they are different, and proven by the paint codes.

No matter how you slice it Chevy code "MM" (Royal Plum Poly) and Pontiac code "M" (Plum Mist Poly) are bang on the same PPG#50517 color (the darker one). Then you also have Chevy code "NN" (Madeira Maroon Poly) and Pontiac Code "N" (Burgandy Poly) which is the same PPG#50700 color that is lighter.

When talking paint colors one must be careful because names can be misleading as they change from book to book or paint company to paint company. Basically not everybody uses the same or correct name. When I compare colors it's by paint code not by name.

Old 10-10-2008, 12:56 AM

Its amazing how good I can butcher the English language when I'm pressed for time and/or don't proof read. LOL

My paragragh above should read "Bare with me for a minute".

Old 10-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Dar
I stand corrected. However, a few years ago when I decided to paint my 67 Plum, code M, my painter had the old books. He took the number to the paint store to get some mixed. At that point, I had never seen a Plum car, either Pontiac, or Chevy.. I have since seen a couple 67 chevelles, and a 67 Camaro, all of which are a darker purple than mine. I have had others tell me mine is correct, the Pontiacs were lighter. This is the code M, Plum, not the Burgundy. I have still never seen another 67 Plum GTO. Either way, I like my color, and I'm sticking with it.

Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 AM

Default getting closer to a question ive had for a long time

I remember talking to a ppg dealer a year ago and said can you look up the 70 gm paint code for the dark green and i remember him saying the gm code is 48 and called forest green but the same color for all 70 gm divions

for 70 gto pepper green metalic number 48

70 chevell forest green metalic number 48

I wounder if the 70 chevelle and the 70 gto were 1970 side by side factory painted would bot be the exact color this i believe to be so and just trying to confirm as my 70 gto pepper green frame of is still a ways from paint

logic tells me they would

thanks

Old 10-11-2008, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70 PEPPER GREEN View Post
I remember talking to a ppg dealer a year ago and said can you look up the 70 gm paint code for the dark green and i remember him saying the gm code is 48 and called forest green but the same color for all 70 gm divions

for 70 gto pepper green metalic number 48

70 chevell forest green metalic number 48

I wounder if the 70 chevelle and the 70 gto were 1970 side by side factory painted would bot be the exact color this i believe to be so and just trying to confirm as my 70 gto pepper green frame of is still a ways from paint

logic tells me they would

thanks

If I understand your post correctly, Yes.

In 1970 if you parked a 1970 Chevelle with exterior paint code 48 beside a 1970 GTO that was also code 48, they would look the same. Even though the two cars have different names for their color, it's the same color. There are no names on a data tag, only a paint code, and 48 is 48 is 48 (for that model year).

Today 38 years later if you parked those same two vehicles together it could be a different story (assuming they have been repainted or restored at some point). Yes ideally in a perfect world they would be the same, but may not be due to the brand of paint, type of paint, type or color of undercoat, etc etc. Many factors can affect the shade or color of a vehicle.

A couple good examples I see all the time. Pontiac 1970 code 26 Lucerne Blue Poly is a little different between PPG base/clear and Dupont Chroma base/clear. Also, I have seen several versions of 1970 Orbit Orange depending on what brand it is.

Old 10-11-2008, 03:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an old R-M paint chip book from the early seventies, The GM divisions shared better than 75% of the paints, some even have different codes, but they have the same mix numbers, both OE and R-M.

My site... needs updated-
www.fastrestorations.com

68 GTO's (RA II, RA I, HO, convert, Pro Street, Racecar, etc.), 2 69 GTO Judges, 70 GTO racecar -10.77 @ 124mph, 68 Tempest survivor, 3 03 Aztecs!
Old 10-11-2008, 08:39 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dar View Post
If I understand your post correctly, Yes.

In 1970 if you parked a 1970 Chevelle with exterior paint code 48 beside a 1970 GTO that was also code 48, they would look the same. Even though the two cars have different names for their color, it's the same color. There are no names on a data tag, only a paint code, and 48 is 48 is 48 (for that model year).

Today 38 years later if you parked those same two vehicles together it could be a different story (assuming they have been repainted or restored at some point). Yes ideally in a perfect world they would be the same, but may not be due to the brand of paint, type of paint, type or color of undercoat, etc etc. Many factors can affect the shade or color of a vehicle.

A couple good examples I see all the time. Pontiac 1970 code 26 Lucerne Blue Poly is a little different between PPG base/clear and Dupont Chroma base/clear. Also, I have seen several versions of 1970 Orbit Orange depending on what brand it is.
How very true. I still have a quart of each PPG and Dupont in Orbit orange from a time when I had a 70 judge. Two very different colors. I do have almost a gallon of Dupont lacquer in 26 and have been using it to find the best match in a base/clear. just wondering if you have a preference?

Old 10-11-2008, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uforacing View Post
How very true. I still have a quart of each PPG and Dupont in Orbit orange from a time when I had a 70 judge. Two very different colors. I do have almost a gallon of Dupont lacquer in 26 and have been using it to find the best match in a base/clear. just wondering if you have a preference?

Yes I do have a preference. Based on what I have seen the PPG has more silver in it and a little less blue (more of a silvery blue color). The Dupont Chroma base has a little more blue and a little less silver (more of a blue color).

IMHO I think the Dupont is the more correct of the two. It looked more correct when comparing it to orignal paint I found on my Lucy blue car when I was restoring it. But also I have seen a couple original paint cars in person too.

Over the years I have seen a few lucy blue cars which had the silvery blue color (just like I had mixed up) and when asking the owners was told it was PPG.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:40 PM

Any body have a good picture of a Pepper Green GTO or Lemans??