Old 01-17-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 1962 Bonneville dash

I have a 1962 with aftermarket AC and don't like the placement and performance of the left and right vents. Is it reasonable to put the factory corner vents in my dash? What pieces would I need? I wouldn't need all the duct work running from one side to the other. I could use flexible tubing. Thanks

Old 01-17-2021, 08:43 PM
Suspended

Do you have a dealer installed under dash unit?

Old 01-17-2021, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

No the previous owner had a Old Air heater/AC unit installed and I have been trying to straighten it out. The unit is mounted up under the dash with the vents under the dash where they blow on your lap. I was trying to get something to blow on your face.

Old 01-18-2021, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

It is possible to find the original vents occasionally on Ebay. But I would think to drill the hole in the dash in the original position on that curved surface would be a bitch. So you could get other vents that suppliers like Vintage Air offer. Check their website or look at Summit. It can be a little crowded if you keep the vent knobs.

Here is how I did mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	InsideVent1.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	63.9 KB
ID:	558681   Click image for larger version

Name:	InsideVent2.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	558682   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vents&Gauges.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	558683  

Old 01-18-2021, 01:26 PM
Senior Chief

My 62 Catalina was originally a non A/C car. I added factory A/C that came from a rusty Star Chief out of Paris Arkansas. The vent balls on the sides were the hardest to do. I was lucky enough to get the entire dash out of the Star Chief and make a paper template for the correct vent ball location. I used a hole saw for the initial hole followed by a nibbler to finish it out to the proper size. If I don't have my paper templates I'll gladly make templates from my dash if you need. The factory A/C still has the lap cooler section under the dash. Another thought is what I did on my 64 C-10 with Vintage air. I hated the cheesy round vent balls on the sides and got lucky finding real metal chrome vents from a 64 Chrysler. These vents have enough tilt I can aim them at my face in my C-10. The amazing part I found them at Pick-N-Pull on 1/2 off day so both vents ran me $9.00. I probably have 20 hours into disassembling, cleaning, polishing & reassembling them though. I eventually found a center vent to match off eBay from a 66? Plymouth for $60.00. My 62 has been sitting for about 15 years inside & untouched. Now that I'm retired it's time to get back to it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	62 Catalina 4SPD 01.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	558685   Click image for larger version

Name:	West Side Auto 005.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	558686   Click image for larger version

Name:	West Side Auto 002.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	558687   Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck 006.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	558688   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1616.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	558689  

Old 01-19-2021, 01:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfilean View Post
It is possible to find the original vents occasionally on Ebay. But I would think to drill the hole in the dash in the original position on that curved surface would be a bitch. So you could get other vents that suppliers like Vintage Air offer. Check their website or look at Summit. It can be a little crowded if you keep the vent knobs.

Here is how I did mine.
Thank you both. When I added vents to the ends of the dash on my 1964 GP I replaced the lower section of the dash which was not hard. Not possible on the 1962. I'm in NH and there are almost no old cars in the junkyards here. I'll try to find 1962 end vents on line and if there's no snow I'll try walking the junkyards to see if there is anything that might work. If I can find the 1962 vents I'll contact you and take you up on your very gracious offer of the templates.