Old 01-08-2021, 05:53 PM

Default Correct Parchment Color

I'm just about to order my 67 Parchment interior. I received color samples from Legendary and one is Metalic Parchment and one is regular with no metalic. When I called to inquire, the person said that the plain was the stock original color. So, today I'm ordering and the sales person said just the oposite, That the Metalic is original. Can someone tell me which is correct? Back in 67, we had a new GTO in our family which is what i'm trying to duplicate. However, I don't recall the color being Metalic. Does anyone have a Parchment interior from our sponsor or Legendary?

Old 01-08-2021, 06:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am also going Parchment on my 67 GTO. I have the headliner installed but I sent back the Parchment Legendary front seat covers because in certain areas they are coming apart at the stitching. To my eyes, they don't seem to be metallic. Tomorrow, I can take pictures of the headliner but it's hard to say how pic's will look on a computer screen.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm no expert but I did see a '67 GTO last year that I was considering buying, that had a parchment interior. Unrestored and in need of one. But the interior was passable. The seats seemed to have a pearlescent kind of finish.

Old 01-08-2021, 07:40 PM

Default Parchment Interiot

Thanks guys. I guess it must be correct as metalic. I sprayed one of my lower seat panels with Ames Parchment, and it is metalic. Another weird thing is that their headliners only come on white, not Parchment. So I have to order white sunvisors too! Geez!

Old 01-08-2021, 08:11 PM

I have the legendary parchment interior in my 67. It's a pearlescent color. Ask them for samples. I did before purchasing.

Old 01-10-2021, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here are a few pictures of the parchment headliner. I installed it myself and obviously didn't do very well on the rear passenger side; wrinkles I could not eliminate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ParchmentHeadliner.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	558022   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParchmentHeadliner1.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	558023   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParchmentHeadliner2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	558024   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParchmentHeadliner3.jpg
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	558025  

Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

These are the Legendary parchment seat covers; I don't know if they are metallic or plain.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SeatCoversParchment1.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	558028   Click image for larger version

Name:	ParchmentSeat1.jpg
Size:	43.5 KB
ID:	558029  

Old 01-10-2021, 11:18 AM

Thanks for the pics guys. Jim, those are the seat covers that they call metalic. They're kind of a pearl color. I painted my seat bottoms and back cover with Ames Parchment. They should match great.

Old 01-10-2021, 01:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettdr View Post
Thanks for the pics guys. Jim, those are the seat covers that they call metalic. They're kind of a pearl color. I painted my seat bottoms and back cover with Ames Parchment. They should match great.
Yes, I bought two rattle cans of parchment paint. I just used a basic primer on the seatbacks and sides so they would not rust. I read somewhere on this forum that a light color primer should be applied before using the parchment. What did you use?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ParchmentPaint.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	558042  

Old 01-10-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vettdr View Post
Thanks guys. I guess it must be correct as metalic. I sprayed one of my lower seat panels with Ames Parchment, and it is metalic. Another weird thing is that their headliners only come on white, not Parchment. So I have to order white sunvisors too! Geez!
The "white" headliner in my Tempest looks amazingly white when it's in the car. But in fact it's a kind of an off-white. I'm sure they believed that a stark white product was not optimal when they designed it. I've received samples of their white from the different vendors and they were all spot on with the colour.

Old 01-10-2021, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
The "white" headliner in my Tempest looks amazingly white when it's in the car. But in fact it's a kind of an off-white. I'm sure they believed that a stark white product was not optimal when they designed it. I've received samples of their white from the different vendors and they were all spot on with the colour.
I tried to find a "snow white" color as I thought it would be a nice contrast with the red exterior but could not find anything that white. Parchment was the practical way to go.

Old 01-10-2021, 03:35 PM

Default seat cover

For the seat backs and bottoms I bead blasted the panels, light gray primer, then Ames white (couple of coats) and finally a light coat of Parchment.

Old 01-18-2021, 03:20 PM

What about the tops of the doors? Are they the same color Parchment as the seat back and side? I'm changing my 67 from black interior to parchment and need to paint everything to match. Thx.

Old 01-18-2021, 05:49 PM

Yes, same as the seat backs.

Old 01-18-2021, 08:23 PM

The tops of the doors and rear top below the quarter windows is supposed to be Cameo Ivory. It's not quite the same as parchment but it's close. That's according to my restoration manual. Also the inside of the A-pillars above the dash are Cameo. I just got that paint today, but PPG calls it Cameo Cream. It's a good contrast between the white-ish headliner and the Parchment door panels.

Old 01-19-2021, 11:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I would like to expand on post #13 from Fast 69 because we all seem to be working on the interior and have similar questions on matching and contrasting colors.

So; I'm going with a red exterior and parchment interior. That said, however, small sections of my interior match the exterior. The interior A-pillars are red, the same color as the exterior (see my pic's). The glove box and surrounding area are red; the same paint/color as the exterior. When I buy the dash pad, I plan to paint it the same red as the exterior.

I know a red exterior is not original, but, is my color combination correct or close to the original? Not to hijack the OP's post, but I think we all would like to know.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MatchingColor.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	558849   Click image for larger version

Name:	MatchingColor1.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	558851   Click image for larger version

Name:	MatchingColor2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	558852   Click image for larger version

Name:	MatchingColor3.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	558853   Click image for larger version

Name:	MatchingColor4.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	558854  

Old 01-20-2021, 12:13 AM

Default Correct Parchment color

Well Jimib, according to my manual, The dash, a-pillars, door tops and dash pad are all the same color as the interiorsoft goods. If you have red seats and door panels, the rest should be red also. However, this doesn't apply when Parchment interior was ordered. Parchment interior was black dash and pad, kick panels, and package tray. Cameo door tops and quarter panel tops and black carpet. Seat covers, headliner and sunvisors are all part of the Parchment package. It's your car, so do it the way you want. I think the Parchment seats and doors will really pop with the red dash and door tops. I got all of this information from my restoration manual. I'm not a numbers guy so I'm building mine the way I want it.

Old 01-23-2021, 07:12 PM

Smile

The parchment interior in not a flat white is has what would be described as a "mother or pearl color" appearance- This is what used in 1967. I had my original interior when I took it out and replaced it with Legendary Interiors and it has the most correct color match to this interior and matched my old interior to the tee!

It's your choice to decide but if your building your GTO to look as it did when assembled by the General then go with the pearl look. My car looks outstanding with this color and you will not be disappointed. I attached pic of the interior with this color during the restoration which also shows the door panel in parchment as well. My car is a convertible with the original color of fathom blue and parchment, which the color combination is really off the charts together. Good luck with your choice....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20191230_160322.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	559279  

Old 02-13-2021, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have an original parchment 67 GTO and have done a frame off resto-mod. Had this car since high school. All soft surfaces were a pearlescent sheen, the metal surfaces were lacquer, low gloss. Over time it may have yellowed/or gotten more sheen from wiping it. At any rate spent considerable time researching what the correct "white" they used. I posted it in another thread when we painted it, it will actually cross into a ford color. I had original unpainted, unfaded parts to use for matching and its 100% correct. We of course used a catalized paint, no rattle cans. Single stage though, not laquer.

That's my .02

6.0 cert. Fiat bodied altered blown alcohol Pontiac IAII-Sold