THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
He didn't question the $50 amount. Just said Ebay was preventing him from giving me a partial.
yeh i see what you mean

Another way to factor is (just for the hellofit) on 80 he paid $12 in fees.
= 68
Gives you back $50 , = $18 he sold the trimmer for. lmao

Some things may have changed since i went through the Resolution processes.
Only thing i would know to suggest now is keep calling/call-back eBay about it.

I would also ask them what will be done to secure your full refund if you end up having to return the trimmer - with him failing to complete the partial refund.
They have to have governing ability in this somewhere to fulfill their "buyer guarantee". And that they told you in first contact you wouldn't have to cover the return shipping.
Would start taking it to that angle.

There was always a mediator involved when i went through it.
You would either get judgement for you - or against you.
It wasn't a drawn out deal like yours has been.

Old 01-18-2021, 01:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We posted almost simultaneously so i missed your last response, while typing.

Quote:
if they still did not fulfill their part, please let us know by the 20th of January, to have this claim escalated.
That sounds more like what i was doing - escalated claims.
Thats when they get on top of it , and mediate , and do judgement.

They have you covered pretty good right now it sounds like.
He would also know he has until the 19th.
If he fails on that - he is banking on you bluffing or bailing out.

Keep up the persistence.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...If he fails on that - he is banking on you bluffing..."

Well, I can assure him, I ain't bluffing !

At first, I thought he was just new & didn't know how the system works.

But now, it appears that he has just been jackin me around the whole time.

After the info/links I gave him, it wouldn't have taken him 15 minutes to issue me a refund, at PayPal. Even if he had to get a friend to help him do it, the whole process wouldn't have taken this long.

I figure Ebay has told him he has 'til Wed to do something. BUT, they may not have told him anything, yet, and are just waiting to see what he does. I have no idea.

Old 01-18-2021, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
At first, I thought he was just new & didn't know how the system works.
But now, it appears that he has just been jackin me around the whole time.
You may be exactly right.
Could be he had previous eBay experience and started a new name/account when he got approved for an eBay Store.

You use to have to earn the right to open an eBay Store.
A lot of perks are given to them, and there were pre-requirements.
I doubt they just started letting new people open Stores - all of a sudden.
After thinking more about it.

He probably has been purposely playing you
I saw where you posted one time that he wanted you to close the case before he could do the refund.
eewwwww that was slick

Play along now, pretend to be nice - get your settlement/judgement -
then zap him with some well thought out Negative Feedback

Then we can create new accounts and fukk up all his auctions.
Maybe buy anything really cheap he has just to leave another Negative.
haha
i'm really a nice guy
thats my altered EGo typing

Old 01-18-2021, 02:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
eewwwww that was slick
dirty dog
filthy dirty dog

Old 01-18-2021, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trying Something New

Well, the product is not new, but what I'm doing is new to me.

Before I completely give up on Ebay, I decided to buy a used item, from an established Ebay seller, not an individual who just became a seller.

And, to further protect myself, I also bought the Square Trade 1-year protection plan, for about $12 extra.

The item is an 80v KST-1680-06 Kobalt string trimmer. The price is $59 + $20 shipping + tax.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-80V-...Cclp%3A2334524

The seller began in 2005 & has 99.4% positive feedback.

Real interested in what condition the unit will be in, how well it performs, & what it will take to put a brush blade on it.

Hope I won't need to return it, & hope it works fine for at least a year. If it fails within a year, I'd be very interested in how good or bad the Square Trade deal is.

Has anybody here had to use the Square Trade warranty deal ?

If for some reason I had to return the item, I can cancel the Square Trade deal within 30 days & get a refund.

So, buying a used power tool on Ebay, & buying the Square Trade warranty are the 2 things that are new to me.

Will it be another negative learning experience for me ? Or, will I get a good unit & save $50. ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-18-2021 at 01:22 PM.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The one pictured looks like a new return or new liquidation.
He has more than 10 of them, so the signs are pointing towards new liquidations.
Lower string guard not pictured - but you might still get one with it.
"Used" covers his liability in case any defects/scratches etc ... smart business on his part.

He has a LOT of Lowes type stuff listed - so he made a big disposal buy from a store.

You probably saw this new one with battery & charger for $200
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-80-V....c100010.m2109

Old 01-18-2021, 01:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, but I already have an 80v batt & charger that I'll only use on rare occasions, when I need the 80v chainsaw.

So, right now, I couldn't see spending an extra $100 for a batt I don't need. If this trimmer will work with a good 10" blade, I won't use it enuff to need 2 batts. it'll just be used to cut the bigger stuff.

Will probably use the 40v units for most of what we do. Now know that they'll take care of anything up to 1 7/8", with one cut.

Real interested in comparing the brush/limb/tree cutting abilities of the Echo & the 80v Kobalt.

Will definitely post my findings here.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need to find one of these 20mm to 10mm washer/bushings like this Diablo blade comes with. That you posted before.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/DIABLO-5...8WMX/308879098

Quote:
3 additional bushings that allow your blade to also fit on 1/2 in., 5/8 in. or 10 mm arbor saws.
... Ryobi (10 mm arbor), porter cable (10 mm arbor) and Craftsman (10 mm arbor)
Actually a 20mm x 12mm would be even better - but thats probably way too oddball.
Could make either one work
Will need extra shim washers in either direction it goes.

The Blade in the old McCulloch kit is Steel 8" 8 teeth / 1.8mm thick / 20mm arbor hole.
It is quite a bit heavier than the new 10" Kurt Blades.
Would like to be able to test drive it at some point to test the weight.

Interesting that the extra shouldered hold down nut in the bag is 8mm - not 10mm
The cover plate/cupped washer deal is for 20mm and won't absorb 1" arbor.

Old 01-18-2021, 06:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow that went quicker than ever expected
3 for 76 cents @ HD
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt...6348/100338174

Just have to do an online conversion and see what 0.049 inches equals in mm for the thickness.

e d i t
about 1.25mm
hmm - not quite the right piece yet
need 1.8mm or +

Old 01-18-2021, 08:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it's just to center the blade on the shaft, the washer can be thinner than the blade. In fact, that's what you want. As long as it's not thicker than the blade, you don't need a cup washer to hold the blade on. A flat washer will do just fine. That's what I have holding the Diablo on the Kobalt.

But, if the adapter washer is thicker than the blade, you'll either need a cup washer, or rig it like I did, using 2 washers. The hole in the bottom washer must clear the hole in the blade. Then the 2nd washer holds the bottom washer down against the blade. Not as neat, but works just as good as a cup washer. That's how I held the Renegade blade on my Kobalt.

Speakin of that Kobalt. I gave it & the Diablo blade a good workout today. Ran a 2.5Ah batt down, & part of another.

There were lots of scrub bushes growing up thru the engine compartment of an old milk truck. Cut 'em all with the Kobalt. There were also a couple of sweet gum trees growing beside the truck. One was about 4" and the other 6". Cut those down with a 40v Kobalt chainsaw, with the original Echo 16" bar/chain.

Cut the gums into smaller pieces with the 12" 40v Kobalt saw. Then cut the tops & limbs with the Diablo/Kobolt. Hey ya'll, that little front motor 40v Kobalt with the Diablo blades is a mean little sucker. Anything up to 1 1/2" is easy. Just for kicks, I made a couple of cuts on 2" plus stuff. Had to cut on both sides. But it was not a big problem.

Swapped out the Ryobi brush attachment for the string attachment & did some weed whackin. Did good. Got into some thistles. They were real juicy. I haven't installed the string guard yet. Was gonna try to go without it. But, I was hit with too much stuff ! Gonna install the guard.

When I got back home I put all 3 Kobalt 40v batts & a Ryobi batt, on to charge. The lights were all blinking on & off. After taking several pics, TJ finally got one showing all 4 lights on at the same time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MT1 - Bushes .jpg
Views:	26
Size:	180.8 KB
ID:	558730   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT2 - Milk Truck .jpg
Views:	32
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	558731   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT3 - Diablo + Kobalt .jpg
Views:	30
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	558732   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT4 - 4 & 6 inch .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	558733   Click image for larger version

Name:	MT5 - Caught all 4 lites on .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	558734  

Old 01-18-2021, 10:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
If it's just to center the blade on the shaft, the washer can be thinner than the blade.
Gotcha
Would rather it be "almost" flush within a hair minus.
Here are some that are 2.0mm Thick
Would just need a little surfacing to get down to size (1.8mm)
But you have to buy a bag of 25 for $7.50

I shouldn't have been looking on HD website anyway, we don't have one in our town.
Was already on there so punched it in.
Need to go onto Lowes website in a little while and check what they offer.

other project :
Found a collar in assorted junk here that will work as a "cup-washer" for the 1" arbor.
Just needs to be drilled from approx 10mm out to 12mm to go down over the splines on the output shaft. Or use some 12mm ID washers to bring up the slack.
It has some weight to it though, probably 2-3 ounces i guess.
Weighs about the same as the " 1" arbor adapter/collar " that the blades mount on.

#04409 Cupped-Washers shipped today from Ohio .

Old 01-19-2021, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The item is an 80v KST-1680-06 Kobalt string trimmer. The price is $59 + $20 shipping + tax.
That will be one badmutha with a 10" Blade
Might can even put a small lawnmower blade on it maybe

i wonder if that one is also 5000rpm low , 5500rpm high
Believe it was the mid-motor 80v that i looked those specs up on before.

Lowes has some good 10mm and 12mm washer prospects listed and showing in-stock at the local store.

Old 01-19-2021, 04:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Mid Motor

"...Believe it was the mid-motor 80v that i looked those specs up on before..."

Funny you should mention that. I just saw one I may bid on.

NO, I don't NEED it.

But, ever since I realized it is a one-of model, I've thought the mid motor idea was just cool.

High bid right now is $32, with $30 shipping. Auction ends Wed. If the high bid is not much higher, I will probably put in a last minute bid. That has never worked for me. But, it's worth a shot.

https://www.ebay.com/i/293954363438?...brand%3DKobalt

There is also one of 'em included in a 2 trimmer package. The other is the front motor model, with a bent shaft. They're being sold "For Parts Or Repair. Unknown Condition".

Min bid is $50. The string trimmer attachment should be worth that, if it has a 10mm thread shaft. If the motor doesn't work, the attachment could be rigged up with a 10" blade, for HD use on my 40v Ryobi.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kobalt-80v-...IAAOSw9hpgAczD

The Ryobi seems to have plenty of power to turn the 9" blade. So, with a 10mm shaft attachment, I wouldn't hesitate to try a 10" blade. Without buying one, I don't know how to find out what size shaft the attachment has. But, since my 40v Kobalt has a 10mm shaft, it is just common sense that an 80v Kobalt should have a shaft at least that big.

PS: Here's an assessment of using my 40v Kobalt as a brush cutter. As long as you plan to just continue to cut for several minutes at a time, it's great. It spins free for quite a long time AFTER you let off the trigger. For small stuff, you only need to hit the trigger occasionally, to keep the rpm up. BUT, if you are just cutting one limb/small tree, then laying the trimmer down, to remove that limb/small tree, you have to remember that the blade will still spin for quite a while. Yesterday, I was having to just cut one or 2 things at a time, then set the trimmer down to remove them. Found myself having to wait for the blade to stop spinning. So, I began putting the blade up against a limb or the stump of one, to use as a brake, to stop the blade. That kept me from having to wait for the blade to stop spinning.

One of the advantages of using the rear motor Ryobi as a brush cutter is that after you let off the trigger, the blade stops turning much quicker than with the front motor Kobalt. By the time I get ready to set it down, the blade has quit turning. Another advantage is the variable speed trigger. For real small stuff, I can just keep the blade spinning real slow, then pull the trigger more when more blade speed is needed. So, I consider a variable speed trigger a really good feature.

Still crickets from CA. His last Email was Fri @ 1:37 am. According to the Ebay rep, today is the last day he has to do something. If he doesn't, I'm supposed to contact them Wed, for further action on a partial refund or a return. We'll see if that happens, or if they have some other way to protect him longer. If I can get the partial refund, I'd rather keep it. The batt/charger & attachment are worth that much. But, if I can't get the partial, since I now have the new Ryobi + brush cutter attachment, I'd rather return the whole CA mess for a total refund.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-19-2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Found this little kit for brush blade mounting. $10
Cup Washer and Nut together on Amazon with quicker delivery than the Ryobi Washers we bought.

i think these look like 10mm pieces.
See what you think

Can't find any detail specs anywhere, but in the comments various buyer said it fit their 80v Kobalt and some said it fit their Echo. So maybe those are good signs that those trimmers will be 10mm output shaft. One said it was LH/Reverse threads.
The arrows indicate LH as well

https://www.amazon.com/MTD-791-18001...030277&sr=8-19

8mm Ryobi Washers for Compare

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 01-19-2021 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
But, ever since I realized it is a one-of model, I've thought the mid motor idea was just cool.
Yeh you NEED one of those for your Collection.
Maybe you'll find a new one from liquidation on eBay.

Quote:
But, since my 40v Kobalt has a 10mm shaft, it is just common sense that an 80v Kobalt should have a shaft at least that big.
Here is a shot of an 80v Kobalt Front-Motor (used)
It looks more like 10mm - than 8mm - to me.
You might can download this pic and blow it up for a better look at it and see what you think.

Old 01-19-2021, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Ryobi Cupped-Washers i bought did go out yesterday -
but they have not moved since being accepted at Ohio post office yesterday.

That little MTD kit from Amazon could probably be here by Friday. (eta Saturday)
It comes from Utah. fwiw

Don't think i even need the stuff anymore since i found that collar.
But the collar is heavy'ish so wouldn't mind having the washer to be able to test the different weights on performance.

The eBay seller for the Ryobi Washers has free returns
The Amazon MTD Kit shows free Prime Returns
Might go ahead and order a MTD Kit and send one of the purchases back after evaluating them.

Still no $600 CoronaCheck from IRS

Old 01-19-2021, 05:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nuts, Washers, & Strap

Got the 8mm nuts & washers today.

All you need is a 1" hole brush blade, and these 2 items will make the string trimmer a brush cutter.

The hole in the washer is not a real tight fit. But, you'd still need to enlarge the hole, in order for it to slip down over a 10mm shaft.

Also got a Klein shoulder strap. It is better quality than the other straps I have. The Klein is a full 2" wide. Also had a built-in pad, which doesn't seem to make a big difference. Even let out as far as it will go, it's just a tad too short for me. But it's perfect for TJ.

There are probably LOTS of ways to add an extension between the attachment point & the strap hooks. Will keep it in mind & see if maybe I have something on hand that will easily make this extension. Probably needs to be less than 6". Will try to make it exactly the correct length so that the belt itself will not have to be adjusted between me & TJ. That way, when she uses it, she can just bypass the extension.

After I get this rigged up correctly, I'll probably replace the cheaper straps with one of these, on all the units we'll use often.

PS: Klein trivia. Every time I see the brand name Klein, it reminds me of my iron working days. In this area, at that time, the iron workers union included structural ironworkers, welders, & "Rod Busters". I did some of all of it. For the re-bar jobs we'd be on, we had to have a tie wire reel, & a pair of #9 Klein wire pliers. The experienced ironworkers would show us younger guys how to heat one end of one handle & bend a curve in it. This curve would make the pliers MUCH easier to hold on to, when making the wire ties.

I see that Klein now sells the pliers with the curve already in the handle. They're called Ironworkers Pliers . Don't know when they began to sell those.

https://www.kleintools.com/catalog/i...-pliers-9-inch

We used Ideal brand tie wire reels.

https://www.ironworkergear.com/produ...-tie-wire-reel

I see that Klein also has 'em.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Klein-To...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C9EPAm97TA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter Nut & Washer .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	558809   Click image for larger version

Name:	Klein Strap .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	558810  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-19-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Might go ahead and order a MTD Kit..."

https://www.amazon.com/MTD-791-18001...030277&sr=8-19

That same part number is used for this Ryobi nut/washer kit.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBa...=1611095861157

But I don't have a clue what size shaft it fits. The same kit also fits some Cub Cadet, Troy built, & other brands/models.

https://www.cubcadet.com/en_US/blade...1-180014B.html

https://www.troybilt.com/en_US/blade...le-specs-chore

Couldn't find any specs on either the nut or washer in the kit.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-19-2021 at 07:14 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Got the 8mm nuts & washers today.
Coincidentally , i ordered my Cupped Washers from the same seller on eBay that you bought the 8mm Nuts from - in Eastlake Ohio.
I think the seller you used on Walmart for your Washers is that same seller too.

But my parts are frozen in a post office there - and have not moved in 2 days. lol

Bought some Hardened Flat Washers at Lowes
10mm x 20mm x 2.0mm thickness Hillman #885823 4-pk $1.08
12mm x 24mm x 2.5mm thickness Hillman #885826 4-pk $1.24

Need to go back again and get 2x of 10mm x 30mm fender washers they had.
To make the best mount rig for the adapted 20mm Blade