Old 02-08-2020, 11:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default More 66 a/c duct/vent questions

my 66 GTO was missing numerous parts of its a /c system. I’m using my factory a/c manual and input from you guys to figure out/acquire what’s missing. I dug up two lap vents from a 64Lemans I got years ago. Andre helped me out with the center distribution duct to which these lap vents attach. While test fitting the lap vents to this duct today, I realized there is yet one more piece I’m missing in order to do this. This piece is shown on page 68 of Ames GTO catalog G35 as p/n A274TCP 1964-early67 Chrome lap cooler Adapter Plate. All these pieces are illustrated on page 10-4 of the 66 Pontiac A/C Shop Manual. I’m not quite clear on how this adapter is used to secure the lap vent to the center duct. I realize there is a screw that fits up through the bottom of the lap vent mounting plate, but don’t see how this screw engages the adapter plate that fits on top of the lap vent mounting plate. Not clear on how attaching the mounting plate to the adapter plate manages to secure the whole lap vent to the front of the center duct. Why does the left lap vent outlet on the center duct have a lip running across the bottom of it but the right does not? I’m sure this would be clearer if I had all the parts together, but I haven’t ordered the repro adapter plates yet. I’m going to try and attach some photos to make this clearer, but tried to do so a couple of days ago on a different post and could never get that to work. Here goes nothing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	21251018-B076-4E38-A32A-43977EDEE464.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	531452   Click image for larger version

Name:	A0AB806A-194F-4E3C-A108-BCA04B8F2E71.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	16.3 KB
ID:	531453   Click image for larger version

Name:	537AF10A-8186-4BE6-8922-BE1AF9CCDEF9.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	531454   Click image for larger version

Name:	DDBC1F24-2AB8-4695-B81F-1106BE16AB02.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	531455  

Old 02-10-2020, 06:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The mounting plate (Adaptor) is used only on the DS Lap Vent to stabilize the Vent.
It just holds the vent up against the plastic duct but does not connect to and gives little support,
it can be removed and the duct will remain in place/stable.

The plate is placed onto the top of the vent housing (not a tight fit) and secured with the long center screw.
All three components are sandwiched together via the screw. The oblong holes in both pieces allow for minor adjustment left or right as needed.

I hope this makes sense.

Cheers.

Last edited by Jeff Hamlin; 02-26-2024 at 07:14 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Mote 66 a/c duct: vent questions

Jeff, this info is very helpful. I was thinking each lap vent required an adapter. DUH Do the long screws thread up into a hole on the bottom edge of the steel dash?

Old 02-10-2020, 08:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, screws run up into the lower dash.

Old 02-10-2020, 09:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default More 66 a/c duct/vent questions

Great Now I think I’ve got it!