Old 02-19-2020, 09:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which door(s) have a foam seal?

Restoring the a/c -heater box on my 66 GTO. The molded fiberglass part of this box has 3 different doors in it to route air in different directions depending on how the dash controls are set. I seem to recall that one or possibly more of these doors had a thin foam seal glued to one side of it so that it would seal well when the closed position. The attached photos show these 4 doors labeled A. B. and C. Door B has a rubberized material applied to it that has survived intact, so I’m pretty sure it is not the one that needs a foam seal. Door C has a small rectangular rubber bumper attached to the edge opposite the hinge that seems intended to limit it from closing fully against the inside of the box, so I don’t think it would require a foam seal either. That leaves door A as the most likely candidate for a foam seal to be glued to the face of it. Can somebody confirm that this is correct? If not, what is correct? Can’t get stupid photos to upload. Maybe you guys can figure out what I’m asking without them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	63A8E16C-C9E7-44C8-84E3-F7E6F3187584.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	532489   Click image for larger version

Name:	CDDCA726-B75A-4CA6-B13A-2A120C0D08EC.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	532490  

Old 02-19-2020, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yours is not an A/C car so a picture of my heater box won't be of much help except to say that the door that closes off the box to the firewall opening has the full seal on it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1250105.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	532494  

Old 02-20-2020, 12:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which door(s) have a foam seal

Yes, my car does have a/c. So which door has the seal ....A. B or. C ? I can’t seem to see this clearly on your photo.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This one.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1250105a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	532511  

Old 02-20-2020, 02:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Which doors have a foam seal

Great I see it now. Thanks very much.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that the heat blend door? Seems that would really be the only critical door to have a good seal.

Old 02-24-2020, 02:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Okay, reading through these posts again, I’ m not sure we are on the same page so let me see if I can be clearer. I realize the molded fiberglass half of the box requires a foam seal where it mates up with the hole in the firewall. My original question concerned the 3 different hinged doors contained within this fiberglass housing. I thought one(or possibly more) of these doors had a thin sheet of foam glued to the entire face of the door. The only door where that would seem to make sense is door A. Your reply indicates you think door B is where this sheet of foam would be glued. However, it occurs to me that what you might be saying is that it is at door B that a foam seal is needed to seal the box to the firewall, not that door B requires a sheet of foam glued to its face to seal it when it closes inside the box. One of the reasons I’m thinking this is that door B already has a rubberized coating around its edges to seal it when it closes, so adding a sheet of foam to the face of the door seems redundant. All this leads me back to thinking door A is the one that should have the sheet of foam glued to its face. Sorry if it seems like I’m splitting hairs, but it seems like I may have misunderstood your response. I know you’re trying to help out and I do appreciate that.

Old 02-24-2020, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just did mine, had to take apart 3 to make 1 good one. Fyffytr is correct, the arrow in his picture is the only one that gets the foam on it. Might i suggest this firewall seal too.... It's much better than the one that comes with the REM kit. https://www.soffseal.com/ss-5087
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SS-5087.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	532934  

Old 02-24-2020, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Pretty sure that is the diverter door that actually seals off the dash vents from the heater and defrost ports.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Vacuum HEAT.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	532938   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vacuum INSIDE.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	532939  

Old 02-25-2020, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Terry, is that the original heater/ac box or aftermarket?

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 02-25-2020, 07:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

GT182, I’m working on the original factory a:c heater box.